R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 15 or 16 inch tires on a mini?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 08:51 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have ordered the 15inch tires on my mini, but since I'm still in 112 status, I can make changes until I move to 150 status. I am reconsidering the 16 inch. I went with the 15 inch because they are lower profile (but still performance) tires, that would give good performance, but a more comfortable ride, and would be less likely to dent a rim in a winter pothole, and would have better traction in the snow. The 16 inch are the run flat, which to my understanding are new technology (which I didn't feel so happy about--at least they are not Firestone...), and achieve the run flat effect by much denser and reinforced sidewalls, which mean a harder ride, and more likely to dent a rim. Of course the 16 inch do mean better, crisper handling on well paved roads, but it was the harder ride and the reality of much less than perfect conditions during 6 months of the year, that biased me toward 15 inch. Do most folks have the 16 inch? Did you have a rationale for which size to choose? Was anyone else put off by the run flat feature? Any impressions/opinions about which size is best?
Thax!

Old 06-30-2002, 06:45 AM
sirron
5th Gear
Bigger looks much better, I have 17'' on Allessio wheels. Check them out on page 14 of Member's Minis

Old 06-30-2002, 07:15 AM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with the 15" to start for most of the same reasons you discussed, ride concerns and winter driving here in the Northeast are my major concerns. I definately feel the look is much more impressive with the larger wheels, but when I saw the optional 8 spoke design in the 15" I opted for them with the idea if the look isn't what it should be I will get after market 16" or 17" and maybe just run them in the summer.

Old 06-30-2002, 02:00 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
I'd stick with the 15"s too. I'm getting the 16"s because I got the sport package but I don't think I would have ordered them as a stand alone option. Drive on the 15"s for a couple of seasons then get yourself a nice light set of SSR Compitition 15"s(8.6lb per rim!!!!)and a nice set of performace tires, then throw a set of winter tires on the stock rims.

Old 06-30-2002, 05:05 PM
ochichernie
1st Gear
Oh-oh... I ordered 16" run-flats on my MINI-to-come. Was that a mistake? I also live up here in the Northeast and want good traction in the snow. Are the run-flats just summer tires? I liked the idea of run-flats because I would like to be able to get to the nearest cafe or whatever to wait while they come to change my flat tire. :smile:

Old 06-30-2002, 05:44 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
I have the 16" run-flats and the ride is not greatly different from the 15" tires. The sport suspension will certainly give you a rougher ride. The tires are Dunlop SP3000 and I don't know how they will do in the snow. They are not that much wider than the 15" so it would mostly boil down to tread pattern I suppose.

Old 06-30-2002, 06:49 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
I'm all for the 16's... There is a HUGE difference between the 15", and 16" tires... You can feel the increse in stability when your trying out the car on sharp turns, or even in fast city driving. There is an increased sense of stability, and reasurance.

Old 07-08-2002, 06:10 PM
CharlesVillager
1st Gear
I went with the 17" dealer-added "option" because, well, otherwise I couldn't buy the car. They let me take the 15" wheels with the run-flat tires, too, in case I wanted to switch them at some point. Could someone please explain the pros and cons of bigger vs. smaller tires to those of us who (I must admit) don't have a clue? Thanks!

Old 07-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
When you mean bigger, I assume you mean larger rims, so smaller profile... Basically, with larger rims, there is less rubber from the ground, to the inside of the tire... This allows for greater stability because there is less and less flex of the actual tire, the smaller you go. There are some issues with this though... When running a low-profile tire you always risk bending the rim with very stupid mistakes like hitting the curbing head on when parking, even at a few miles an hour (that set me back abour $400). You also have decreased ride comfort, because there is less rubber to absorb everything. So, if you're a performance nut, get larger wheels. If you'd like the most ride comfort, opt for the 15" wheels. Otherwise, get the 16's :smile:

Old 07-08-2002, 07:44 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Question.
The sport package, to motor with or with out in a Mini Cooper?
Many a moon has passed sense I last pulled up to a TSD checkpoint. You know the kind of checkpoint that there are no guns. And even though I my last pass through the orange cones was more than twenty years, when I pass road work on the I-495 I still get this urge to weave from left to right and back. Do not worry if you are in the Washington area, I have some control…..
I have not hit too many cones….
Anyway to the point.
The sport package, though nice, does not seem to offer that much sporting in the way of sporting goods. I thought at first of adding this package. Now I am thinking of adding the Xenon lights and the SSP (there never was a question about the SSP package after driving a Cooper S) with the standard 8 spoke wheels. The factory 16 inch wheels and tyres (we are after talking about a Brit Car) combination seem heavy. I could spend the money on after market summer tyres and wheels and have the stock for winter. After the wheel and runflat tyers the DSC is the major option in the package. The DSC takes control of the car. I am purchasing the car to drive. Once one has the Xenon lights the Fog Lamps should not be of much assistance. The sport seats did not feel that much better (THOUGH THEY ARE TEMPTING) than the stock seats. The spoiler, the name says it all.
Please note: I do feel that most of the items in this package are worth while but the package is misnamed. It does not enable the car to do better in club events. I would like to see a sport package that includes a Limited Slip Dif, different cam or chip profiles (more bottom end torque), a more competitive suspension ratios. Maybe throw in a set of very bright rally lights. I would like to see this in the Cooper and not just the Cooper S.

Oh Well…
I have moved up 5 in spots in que just to order my Cooper sense the last post.
All the more time to accumulate a better down payment. I hope the low rates hang around for a while.
And all the more time to check out by ways of Northern Va to break in The Cooper...
BCNUL8R mate…
J DaC

Old 07-08-2002, 08:02 PM
CharlesVillager
1st Gear
Thanks for the enlightenment, Tollag. :smile: Although Baltimore seems to use potholes the way other places use speed bumps, I think I'll still sacrifice the ride quality and stick with the 17" rims.

Old 07-09-2002, 11:05 AM
C4
Banned
We opted for the standard 8-spoke 15" wheels. For our everyday driving needs, these tires provide a good balance between ride comfort and sharp handling dynamics. Also tried the 5-spoke wheels fitted with the 16" Runflats and found them to be very good, albeit ride quality tends to deteriorate due to the stiffer side walls on these rubber. If buying a base Cooper, I suggest trying the 15" and 16" tires before deciding. Also carefully go over the 3 available alloy wheels styles available to see which one suits your tastes better.

Old 07-09-2002, 12:40 PM
sirron
5th Gear
Of course it all depends upon what size rims you have!