R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 '04 Cooper S: Cheapest solution for a second key

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 01:20 PM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
'04 Cooper S: Cheapest solution for a second key

What is the chespest way to get a replacement key for a 2004 Cooper. I ahve seen some on Ebay but the ones I looked at needed parts from an existing key.
Ian

Old 06-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Gtech12v
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Here in S. California look for something similar near you

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...905000737.html

Old 06-24-2019, 02:12 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Avoid eBay or other online sellers of aftermarket or used keys. The only real place to get a MINI key is at a dealer. Try MINI of Peabody in Massachusetts (minipartsmass.com). They sell all their parts at a discount, including keys. Order online to get the discount, it's not available over the phone. Here's the part numbers for the two different keys that are available:

Pre Facelift (2001-2004):

61316919271 (Remote key) $133

61317072781 (Non-Remote key) $76

More later today.

Val

Addendum: I do key repair on the side for MINI owners. Is there something wrong with your key or do you just need a second one?
About the prices above- they are what I was quoted a few months ago from MINI of Peabody, exclusive of shipping. With the remote key, figure in an additional hour of shop time, either at your local dealer or an independent BMW/MINI programmer/coder. Your car will have to be coded to accept commands from the new remote, there is no series of button pushes that will get a new two-button remote working with your car. For this reason, the non remote key is often a better solution for those who need a second key as it arrives ready to go. MINI keys are cut and the immobilizer chip (anti-theft chip) programmed to your VIN. As I stated above, the car must be coded to accept remote commands if you use a two-button key.

There are 10 slots in the EWS/Immobilizer module to allow for 10 keys to be made before you have to get a new EWS (although coding can work around this too, supposedly). If you have two keys and have an independent shop such as the one linked above make you a key, they will likely use the third immobilizer slot (unless they know enough to use 9 or 10, for reasons I will get to in a moment). If at a later date you order a key from a dealer, MINI will create the EWS for the third slot not knowing that there is already a key that uses that slot. Therefore, the key from MINI won't work to start your car. For this reason I believe it's best to get your keys at a dealer. They are expensive, yes, but the process is pretty hassle free and the keys come guaranteed to work and keep working.

Val

Last edited by valvashon; 06-24-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
^^+1
To get a new key from a dealer they require the VIN and proof of ownership, a copy of your DL and registration. Copies of those can be sent via FAX or email. You'll have to get the key in person. Voice of experience.
Process to introduce new key to the MINI
https://itstillruns.com/program-key-...r-7507645.html

Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
I got my '04 R53 back in 2016....came with the plastic key, and one standard two button key for the car. All of the electronics were gone from inside the key fob, it was just a hollow shell. I did extensive searching to get an aftermarket key made for the car....nobody could help me, all said you have to go to the dealer.

Went to my local dealer, they wanted close to $300 for the key fob with working buttons.....and just over $200 for a standard key without comfort access......I chose the standard option

Bryan (I may have to try Mini of Peabody and see what they can do for me now)

Old 06-24-2019, 06:00 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
^^+1
To get a new key from a dealer they require the VIN and proof of ownership, a copy of your DL and registration. Copies of those can be sent via FAX or email. You'll have to get the key in person. Voice of experience.
Process to introduce new key to the MINI
https://itstillruns.com/program-key-...r-7507645.html
1- MINI of Peabody will send you your key once they have a copy of your license and registration. I have recommended them to many MINI owners and have heard back that they have no problem mailing a key out. I purchased a door lock for my wife's R50 and they mailed that out as well. To purchase one of those you also need to submit proof of ownership.

2- This is not the procedure for the two button keys- the car must be hooked up to a computer with the correct coding software and the barcode of the new key entered into the car's computer. The procedure that you linked to is for the three button keys used in 2005-2006 (and up to 2008 for the convertibles).

Originally Posted by A383Wing
I got my '04 R53 back in 2016....came with the plastic key, and one standard two button key for the car. All of the electronics were gone from inside the key fob, it was just a hollow shell. I did extensive searching to get an aftermarket key made for the car....nobody could help me, all said you have to go to the dealer.

Went to my local dealer, they wanted close to $300 for the key fob with working buttons.....and just over $200 for a standard key without comfort access......I chose the standard option

Bryan (I may have to try Mini of Peabody and see what they can do for me now)
1- The first generation cars did not come with Comfort Access as we know it on the second generation cars. Each car did come with at least one remote key to provide remote locking and unlocking. You do have to push the buttons to lock and unlock- you just can't walk up to the car and have it recognize that you have the key in your pocket.

2- You really should get a remote key. The door locks on the early models are not meant to be used with the blade key everyday. Voice of experience here, I replaced the door lock in my '02 and have one sitting here to go in my wife's '03. They break at the back where the square metal rod goes into the door actuator/latch. You DO NOT want that to break just after you've locked the car with the blade! The replacement ones seem to be an improved design and made out of a better metal than the cheap pot metal ones that the cars were built with.

Val

Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Val.....yea, the "comfort access" was probably the wrong term to use....I meant the remote locking & unlocking of the doors on the car.....sorry, wrong terminology

I plan on getting another key made....and I need another for my '06 R52 as well.,.,.,just gotta save up some $$ for both keys

Bryan

Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by A383Wing
Val.....yea, the "comfort access" was probably the wrong term to use....I meant the remote locking & unlocking of the doors on the car.....sorry, wrong terminology

I plan on getting another key made....and I need another for my '06 R52 as well.,.,.,just gotta save up some $$ for both keys

Bryan
Wasn't trying to call you out- I just wanted the OP (and any others who may be new to these cars, although I now notice that the OP has like 78 posts or something like that) to understand what these keys can and can't do. I was under the impression that the OP was a new owner who just bought an early model that came with one beat up non-working key, etc.
Val

Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Originally Posted by valvashon
Wasn't trying to call you out- I just wanted the OP (and any others who may be new to these cars, although I now notice that the OP has like 78 posts or something like that) to understand what these keys can and can't do. I was under the impression that the OP was a new owner who just bought an early model that came with one beat up non-working key, etc.
Val
No worries man, it's all good.....I know that I really need a working remote key, I think we have talked about this before....but I have spent the last year getting my new '06 R52 JCW car back on the road again from almost becoming a parts car for someone else. I have spent a few $$ more than I had intended, and the key fob does not work on this R52 either, but the key signal is good, it's the circuit board in the rear view mirror that's bad......

it boils down to this : Need a good remote key for my '04 R53, and need a spare key for the '06 R52 plus a new or used circuit board for the inside mirror......

Bryan (I need to hit the lottery, soon)

Old 06-28-2019, 07:23 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
I've looked into this also for my 03' Mini S. What the dealerships is telling me (3hr drive from my house) is that I have to first order the key from them (around $175 if I remember right), and then I have to drive the car there in order for them to program the new key to the car (another $150 for that).......

At this point...I'm just going to keep using the key I've got. There are no good options unless you want to spend a bunch of money for a new key.