R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 fuel leak, fuel line replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 06:38 PM
nameuser
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
R53 fuel leak, fuel line replacement questions

So the last couple of times I've driven my 05 R53 I've had an occasional strong fuel smell in the cabin. At first I attributed it to the near constant below zero weather, but decided to check it out today. What I've found is that the mesh covering on the lower half of the fuel feed line is becoming saturated with gas. I've pulled the intercooler off and looked around for an actual leak, but I can't see any leaks. I just know that every other time I drive it the hose gets soaked right around where the injector sits. No signs of an injector leak either. The only place I was able to find that has the right line in stock is ECS tuning and I'm not looking forward to the idea of dropping the subframe to replace the entire line. Is there a way to just replace the section between the fuel rail and the solid line near the firewall? Really appreciate any input, thoughts, and/or advice.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (03-07-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:53 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Not sure your problem but please don’t drive with that leak until you find the issue and remedy it.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:54 PM
nameuser
1st Gear
Yeah, that's how I feel as well. Unfortunately it's my only vehicle and I can't exactly walk to work/school since it's 50 miles away.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
You might try running it with the inter cooler off so you can see a possible leak. Concentrate looking above the point where the line is wet.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tgriffithjr:
ECSTuning (03-07-2019), nameuser (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 PM
nameuser
1st Gear
Will give it a shot tomorrow. I started it up earlier without the intercooler and the racket just about gave me a heart attack. In the meantime I'm gonna try to find a car to borrow until it's fixed. I would be more than a little upset if it burnt up after all of the work I've put into it.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:21 AM
MuscleGeek
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately you have to drop the sub-frame to get the fuel line mounted in without bending it. I had to do mine as well about 6 months ago.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 AM
nameuser
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MuscleGeek
Unfortunately you have to drop the sub-frame to get the fuel line mounted in without bending it. I had to do mine as well about 6 months ago.
That's what I was afraid of. Did you have to drop it completely, or were you able to lower it enough to get it in?

Old 03-06-2019, 11:59 AM
MuscleGeek
1st Gear
I had to drop it about halfway down or so.I bent the straight part of the fuel line just a little but not in one place so it wouldn't damage it.It was more like a curve not really a bent haha.Then it straightens back out once you snap it in to place.

nameuser (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 01:47 PM
nameuser
1st Gear
What all is involved with just lowering it a bit like that? I watched modmini's removal video and definitely don't want to go that far if it can be avoided.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:04 PM
MuscleGeek
1st Gear
You will have to put the mini into front end service mode,disconnect some of suspension components.You'll also have to disconnect some up top engine stuff, possibly disconnect some harness connections. Its kind of a little job if your not familiar with everything, maybe a 3-4 hour job .That is a very brief description of everything haha.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:16 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 257 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by nameuser
So the last couple of times I've driven my 05 R53 I've had an occasional strong fuel smell in the cabin. At first I attributed it to the near constant below zero weather, but decided to check it out today. What I've found is that the mesh covering on the lower half of the fuel feed line is becoming saturated with gas. I've pulled the intercooler off and looked around for an actual leak, but I can't see any leaks. I just know that every other time I drive it the hose gets soaked right around where the injector sits. No signs of an injector leak either. The only place I was able to find that has the right line in stock is ECS tuning and I'm not looking forward to the idea of dropping the subframe to replace the entire line. Is there a way to just replace the section between the fuel rail and the solid line near the firewall? Really appreciate any input, thoughts, and/or advice.
I'm a little confused as to where it's leaking since the actual hose never meets any of the injectors.
That line has 60 lbs of pressure in it with the engine running, I'm really surprised there isn't some kind of spray visible.

Pull the intercooler, have someone else cycle the key from of to run (not start) a few times to build pressure in the system while you move and pull on things.
Then if you still can't find it...

If it were me, before I started looking at replacing the line, I'd pull and clean the quick connect between the line and the fuel tube, pull all of this injectors, inspect and clean the injector bosses in the intake and fuel rail, and replace all of the O-Rings. (don't forget to lube them)

nameuser (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 03:32 PM
nameuser
1st Gear
Yeah, so am I. The connector itself is a little corroded and the line is showing it's age, but I'm with you. You would think that with that much pressure it would be a visible spray, and also a constant one. Maybe it is one of the injectors. Just ordered some o rings so that I can pull/clean the injectors and seal them back up just to be sure. I didn't even think of having someone cycle the key for me. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by nameuser; 03-06-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 03-06-2019, 05:05 PM
nameuser
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
I'm a little confused as to where it's leaking since the actual hose never meets any of the injectors.
That line has 60 lbs of pressure in it with the engine running, I'm really surprised there isn't some kind of spray visible.

Pull the intercooler, have someone else cycle the key from of to run (not start) a few times to build pressure in the system while you move and pull on things.
Then if you still can't find it...

If it were me, before I started looking at replacing the line, I'd pull and clean the quick connect between the line and the fuel tube, pull all of this injectors, inspect and clean the injector bosses in the intake and fuel rail, and replace all of the O-Rings. (don't forget to lube them)
After following your advice and pressurizing the system I'll agree that its probably not the fuel line. The only thing near the line where I'm finding fuel is the far left injector.

Fuel spray was found in this area, just as the line tucks under the intercooler and sc horn.

A little corrosion but no noticeable leakage. The glossiness is from disconnecting the line.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:08 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
The push-ring looks slightly skewed, probably not a big deal, but could be a sign of some unwanted buildup there.

nameuser (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:49 PM
nameuser
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
The push-ring looks slightly skewed, probably not a big deal, but could be a sign of some unwanted buildup there.
Ended up being an injector O ring. Age plus constant below zero temps made it leak.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:20 AM
MuscleGeek
1st Gear
That’s great it was just that! I replaced my fuel line because the rubber hose had cracks all over it. I wanted to be safe then sorry for not doing it when I had the chance.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:56 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Ended up being an injector O ring. Age plus constant below zero temps made it leak.
Good news, plus a simple fix, excellent.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have been dealing with a periodic hard-start/crank issue for a while.....occasionally it coincides with a strong fuel smell.

Just curious if you ever had the hard-starting symptom in your instance. For me, the car always starts.....it just sometimes cranks for way longer than normal and then kind of sputters to life.....then runs fine.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:22 PM
nameuser
1st Gear
Have you checked for codes? That makes me think of a fuel filter or pump issue.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Have you checked for codes? That makes me think of a fuel filter or pump issue.
No codes. I had our local MINi dealer run as much service history as they could (bought it private sale) and it has had a fuel pump and filter replacement fairly recently.....which makes me think that this problem has been chased before.

if I turn the key and let it “prime” for a few seconds before starting, it typically starts fine and without issue.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fastlane
I have been dealing with a periodic hard-start/crank issue for a while.....occasionally it coincides with a strong fuel smell.

Just curious if you ever had the hard-starting symptom in your instance. For me, the car always starts.....it just sometimes cranks for way longer than normal and then kind of sputters to life.....then runs fine.
Thats exactly the issue I have except it will start right up on two cranks after sitting overnight and with no hesitation from off to start on the key. Other times I can shut it off then try to start it ten minutes later and it will crank repeatedly and the sputter to life. Haven’t figured this out yet. New fuel pump and filter. Should the fuel system maintain 60 psi even after the pump initially shuts off after priming? Mine will immediately bleed down to zero after pump shuts off. But still doesn’t explain why it will start right up sometimes and not others.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
Thats exactly the issue I have except it will start right up on two cranks after sitting overnight and with no hesitation from off to start on the key. Other times I can shut it off then try to start it ten minutes later and it will crank repeatedly and the sputter to life. Haven’t figured this out yet. New fuel pump and filter. Should the fuel system maintain 60 psi even after the pump initially shuts off after priming? Mine will immediately bleed down to zero after pump shuts off. But still doesn’t explain why it will start right up sometimes and not others.
yes.....pretty much the same scenario with mine, although I haven’t resorted to measuring fuel pressure yet. Just like you, it tends to be completely normal when starting cold.....it’s the restarts (warm engine) when it tends to misbehave.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:21 PM
cooperwiththemini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
I have the same problem, I suspect a leak above my gas tank on the right side because of the gas tank appearance. A picture and my codes are below.