R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Seatbelt light and Airbag Light on - Aftermarket seats on R53

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 05:32 PM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seatbelt light and Airbag Light on - Aftermarket seats on R53

Looking for a little advice for a seat swap on a late model (August) 2005 R53 - I just dropped in a pair of Sparco street seats and added the passenger side airbag module that is supposed to prevent the airbag light. The seats have the blue seatbelt connectors and I plugged them in to the harness and moved the white connector for the passenger seat sensor over from the OEM seat and installed the airbag seat mat module. When I started the car I have both the seatbelt light and airbag light on. There are no codes showing with a Scangauge.

Do I still need to install seatbelt resistors even with the seats plugged in? Where does it need to go? The Sparco seats had both a blue and a black connector coming from the seatbelt but only the blue connector mates up to the connectors on the harness. Do I need the resistor on both seats? Am I still going to have to have the airbag indicator reset? Any guidance here is appreciated.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:54 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes, you'll need resistors even with the seats plugged in.
The Scangauge cannot clear any SRS airbag lights.
The Schwaben Foxwell code reader can reset the lights and do much more (i.e. prime the brakes).
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/

The following 2 users liked this post by H_C:
ECSTuning (02-04-2019), FUEGO (02-03-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:24 PM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I installed the passenger seat mat bypass module. I still have the airbag light and know I'll need to get it reset. I can't find anything that shows what the individual connectors under the seats are for. I have heated seats and I'm pretty sure the large flat connector with the heavier gauge wires was for the heated seats, THe blue connector plugs into the seat for the seatbelt tensioner. There are two connectors remaining. One is a small black connector with a black and red wire, and the yellow connector. I added one 3.9 Ohm resistors to the yellow connector for each seat.I I'm hoping that was correct - I found one picture of it with the resistor on MINI2. No clue what the small black connector is for. I had hoped that adding the resistors would clear the seatbelt light but it didn't.

In the bypass module kit I ordered (from Ireland) it came with a "seatbelt resistor" but best I can tell it Ohms out at 6.9 Ohms and I only have one so stuck with the only info I could find rather than ordering a matching part. What am I missing? Do I need to get the seatbelt light cleared also when I get the airbag light cleared?

Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
You can clear the airbag light (SRS) separately from the seatbelt light. The SRS error light shows any of the safety devices are malfunctioning (the airbags and crash modules). If any of these items (or their substitutions) aren't there, then you won't be able to clear those lights.