R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Seatbelt and Airbag light staying on. Any advice?

Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 PM
AnyMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seatbelt and Airbag light staying on. Any advice?

Hey guys. I am a new Countryman owner. Just purchased a 2015 all 4 S a few months ago brand new and decided this weekend to have a powered sub installed in the back. After I got my car back today from the install company, I noticed the seat belt light at the very top of the speedometer stays on, even with all belts buckled. No chimes or anything are going off, just that light in the top middle.

Also, now my airbag warning light is on in the speedometer as well as the box in the middle of my tachometer. I can only assume it has something to do with a seat being taken out and put back in. My issue is, I have read plenty on these forums about the airbag issue being caused by this, but never the seat belt? Any suggestions? I live almost 3 hours from the closest Mini dealer and the weather in Central Colorado can be tough.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:05 PM
AnyMini
Neutral
Quick update. I spoke with the installer this morning and he tells me that he never took any seats out and never unplugged anything. He said that he did wiggle the adapter and wires around because he wanted to see if there would be enough room to fit a powered sub underneath, but never unplugged anything.

From my testings this morning, it seems that the seat heater does still work, but the belt and airbag lights are both tripped still. Could it be something as simple as a faulty harness?

Old 02-07-2016, 12:37 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
It's no coincidence that someone worked on the car and returned it to you with a warning light. Your installer did something that tripped the light.

On MINI/BMW vehicles, once the airbag light is tripped, it won't turn off by itself. It needs to be reset by a tool that many BMW repair shops have. Ask some shops if they can reset your airbag light. Hopefully it was a one-time incident that tripped it and just needs to be reset. I would ask your installer to reimburse you as well.

Originally Posted by AnyMini
Could it be something as simple as a faulty harness?
A "faulty harness" is not something simple. Replacing a harness is potentially a huge task that could require taking the car apart.

Last edited by rkw; 02-07-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:41 PM
AnyMini
Neutral
I see. Thanks a ton for the information. I have read quite a bit of info about the airbag switch, so that I was kind of prepared for that. The seatbelt light staying on at the top/middle of the speedometer is what was kind of odd. I don't see people reporting that as an issue typically with the airbag light, so that threw me off.

My installer said he tapped into the speaker wire running along the floor panel on the driver side door, but said that he only messed with speaker wire and nothing more. I definitely agree with you, however. It went in working and came out messed up.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:35 AM
AnyMini
Neutral
I scheduled an appointment for next Monday at the Mini shop. Hoping they are simply thrown codes and can be cleared. I thought about ordering a tool to check the codes myself, but honestly have no idea where to start. Again, thanks for the info on the matter. That seat belt light is throwing me for a loop.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
That seat belt light is throwing me for a loop.
The Owners Manual is a bit ambiguous about this, but seems to suggest that when the airbag light goes on, it also turns on the seat belt light. If it doesn't clear, hopefully the code will identify the exact cause.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:33 AM
AnyMini
Neutral
Thanks, Rkw! I appreciate the info on this. New to Coopers, and these forums. What a wonderful source of info.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:16 PM
AnyMini
Neutral
Stopped by a local BMW mechanic here at lunch time and he hooked his scanner up to the machine. Said it was a passenger side airbag code, and he cleared it. Said it would come back on if there were any issues, but so far both lights have remained off and all seems well again!

Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Evan Setkewich
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
air bag light 2012 countryman

I had an air bag light come on and also noticed my trunk light was not coming on... So located the fuse F16 on passenger side fuse panel, replaced blown fuse with new one and wallaa!!! Airbag light gone, trunk light back on!!! Odd but true!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
TheStormtrooper (11-10-2020)
Old 07-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Evan Setkewich
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see. Thanks a ton for the information. I have read quite a bit of info about the airbag switch, so that I was kind of prepared for that. The seatbelt light staying on at the top/middle of the speedometer is what was kind of odd. I don't see people reporting that as an issue typically with the airbag light, so that threw me off.

My installer said he tapped into the speaker wire running along the floor panel on the driver side door, but said that he only messed with speaker wire and nothing more. I definitely agree with you, however. It went in working and came out messed up.
Yea he did something, possibly, I did the same job on my Mini and was very careful, didnt unplug anything or try to stretch any wires. No issues.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:19 AM
Michiganminigirl
Neutral
2009 clubman seat belt and airbag light

I am having the same thing. I had an engine swap on my mini clubman 2009 about two weeks ago. Since having the swap as expected I have had a check engine light on for some issue that the shop offered to fix under warranty (heating element?). This morning on my way to work the engine light went off and instead the airbag and seat belt light came on. No bells or sounds just flashing on the display. I’m not sure if this is the rain or related to the engine swap. I am calling the dealer later to find out what the cause is.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 133 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
It's no coincidence that someone worked on the car and returned it to you with a warning light. Your installer did something that tripped the light.

On MINI/BMW vehicles, once the airbag light is tripped, it won't turn off by itself. It needs to be reset by a tool that many BMW repair shops have. Ask some shops if they can reset your airbag light. Hopefully it was a one-time incident that tripped it and just needs to be reset. I would ask your installer to reimburse you as well.

A "faulty harness" is not something simple. Replacing a harness is potentially a huge task that could require taking the car apart.
Why should the installer reimburse him for a problem that he said he did not create. I was changing the brake pads on a car once and when I gave his car back to him his turbo crapped out. He wanted me to pay for it. I don't think so dude.

The following users liked this post:
dedave (03-20-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 08:31 AM
r.five.3
Neutral
Originally Posted by michaelo
Why should the installer reimburse him for a problem that he said he did not create. I was changing the brake pads on a car once and when I gave his car back to him his turbo crapped out. He wanted me to pay for it. I don't think so dude.
Because when they dropped it off there was no light and when it was picked up the light was on. I would make them reimburse me too if my car came out of the shop with a New issue.

On another note I took my seats out to do a deep clean and I have the same issue, airbag light and seatbelt light, no chime. Gonna reach out to see who has a scanner to clear the codes, thanks for the help

Old 07-01-2021, 01:19 PM
Minimino man
Neutral
My 2020 JCW Countryman all 4 started doing both things this morning. The car only has 11,925 miles on it. I'm about 200kilometers from the mini dealer.
My advice is just to buy a new one.
I love minis! Minis are me! I have a mini house, a mini wallet, and a mini peeder!

Old 10-08-2022, 01:30 PM
coolgreany
Neutral
The airbag light and seatbelt light came on for me as well a few days ago on my 2010 Clubman S (R55) with approx 54,000 miles.

No recent work has been done. I drove from Florida to South Carolina last weekend and the error lights suddenly appeared during the week. The only other mystery (possibly related) was my back hatch door started popping open randomly (after sitting in garage for most of the summer). I thought the door was related to the key fob so I used my wife's fob for the South Carolina trip. I'm now back in Florida and the error lights have stayed off all the way down I-95.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:43 AM
coolgreany
Neutral
Well, I spoke too soon. The airbag light and seat belt light came back on yesterday after being off for over a week.