R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Power loss randomly on hill

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:04 AM
Russter500
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Power loss randomly on hill

Hi everyone I have a 2002 Mini Cooper s, so this has happened to me two or three times now, I will be going up a hill, the same hill each time, and rarely, if it’s raining, I’ll be going up the hill and my cars power will drop significantly and then come back. I’d this the belt slipping on the super charger pulley? I do have a reduction, but it did it before I did this, and I got the smaller belt. One of the times it did it, I heard a squeal. Does this mean my tensioner is shot?

Old 11-14-2018, 04:16 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
How steep is the hill? Do you live in SF? If the belt is squealing definitely replace. Any codes? How many miles on car?

Old 11-14-2018, 05:40 AM
Mike87
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Have you changed your crank pulley yet? If not, that is where I would start. It is probably slipping (rubber between the two pieces). If it slips the computer will reduce engine performance.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:01 PM
Russter500
2nd Gear
It has 145,000 but it’s very well kept up with. And it has a brand new belt and sc pulley. But no I have not replaced the crank pulley. I was worried it could be my tensioner, but with the new belt on there, the tensioner is extremely tight, I could barely get the belt on it, so I don’t see how it could slip, and. I would think after doing a change the symptoms would have changed? I don’t know. And it’s wxtremely rare it’s only happened two or three times. But I don’t know of anything else that would squeal while simultaneously dropping power

Old 11-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Buggy
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Russter500
It has 145,000 but it’s very well kept up with. And it has a brand new belt and sc pulley. But no I have not replaced the crank pulley. I was worried it could be my tensioner, but with the new belt on there, the tensioner is extremely tight, I could barely get the belt on it, so I don’t see how it could slip, and. I would think after doing a change the symptoms would have changed? I don’t know. And it’s wxtremely rare it’s only happened two or three times. But I don’t know of anything else that would squeal while simultaneously dropping power
Trust me, it's your crankshaft pulley. I have a 05 S & that's exactly the symptom I had. Got to the point where it separated and threw 1688 code which was the nail in the coffin. Fix it now before you get left by the side of the road & need a tow home. Go to YouTube and search for "Mod MINI" videos. He has the exact video that addresses this repair that you need to make ASAP!

Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Hecka
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's a random occurrence and not everywhere you drive, it could be a number of things. I would check to make sure all air lines are sealed properly, also the bypass valve spring on the throttle body should have good spring to it. If it doesn't, then your bypass valve isn't working right and you will have a great loss of power. Check out this video for more information on how to replace your bypass valve:

If you really do need a new harmonic balancer/crank pulley, I have one in perfect condition that I replaced with a higher performance pulley. I can sell you my used one for a lot cheaper than a new one. Just PM me if you find that yours needs to be replaced.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:28 AM
Buggy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Hecka
If it's a random occurrence and not everywhere you drive, it could be a number of things. I would check to make sure all air lines are sealed properly, also the bypass valve spring on the throttle body should have good spring to it. If it doesn't, then your bypass valve isn't working right and you will have a great loss of power. Check out this video for more information on how to replace your bypass valve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-Q...DVJ2h&index=25

If you really do need a new harmonic balancer/crank pulley, I have one in perfect condition that I replaced with a higher performance pulley. I can sell you my used one for a lot cheaper than a new one. Just PM me if you find that yours needs to be replaced.
With all due respect, the factory crankshaft pulleys are garbage. Spend the $208.00 & get a quality unit from Amazon. Again, it’s not that hard to replace yourself. Once the rubber separates the car will go into creep mode and throw code P1688.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Russter500
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Buggy
Trust me, it's your crankshaft pulley. I have a 05 S & that's exactly the symptom I had. Got to the point where it separated and threw 1688 code which was the nail in the coffin. Fix it now before you get left by the side of the road & need a tow home. Go to YouTube and search for "Mod MINI" videos. He has the exact video that addresses this repair that you need to make ASAP!
Originally Posted by Hecka
If it's a random occurrence and not everywhere you drive, it could be a number of things. I would check to make sure all air lines are sealed properly, also the bypass valve spring on the throttle body should have good spring to it. If it doesn't, then your bypass valve isn't working right and you will have a great loss of power. Check out this video for more information on how to replace your bypass valve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-Q...DVJ2h&index=25

wow thanks everyone for the responses! I guess I wouldn’t have expected it it be the crank pulley but, I may go ahead and pick up a new one at some point soon. Thanks everyone! And on the note about the bpv, I checked it and it works great, when the cars idling I can’t even move it.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Buggy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Russter500

wow thanks everyone for the responses! I guess I wouldn’t have expected it it be the crank pulley but, I may go ahead and pick up a new one at some point soon. Thanks everyone! And on the note about the bpv, I checked it and it works great, when the cars idling I can’t even move it.
Since I have replaced the harmonic balancer, I started to get a subtle squeak from the idler pulley. Replaced and squeak eliminated. I would strongly advise you to do the same and consider replacing the belt tensioner also if after visual/hearing inspection there is the slightest doubt it needs to be changed. Scour YouTube for those vids & the signs that the end is near with that belt tensioner. It's $108 on Amazon and the idler pulley is $28.75 for the nice Gates model 36168. While your upgrading your crankcase pulley it is close to being counter intuitive not to strongly considering replacing these other pulleys.
PS; at least check all pulleys so you know when the "sound" isn't right & time to make a plan to address it.

Old, nasty, cheap, ill designed POS harmonic balancer that lasted 13 plus years and 126,500 miles. Glad its gone and a nice new hi tech fluid filled pulley is installed.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
It’s still a bad design. Mine only lasted 63,000. The one on my sons 71 Chevelle lasted 45 years. Take that German engineering!

Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
It’s still a bad design. Mine only lasted 63,000. The one on my sons 71 Chevelle lasted 45 years. Take that German engineering!
If I had a nickel for every time something on these cars was an inadequate factory design, I'd be a millionaire. Well probably not, but at least all these repair-mods would have paid for themselves.

The crank pulley on my 1965 Nova is original.

The following users liked this post:
Tgriffithjr (12-11-2018)