R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Looking to trade in '05 MCS with probs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:48 AM
DTMLGND
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking to trade in '05 MCS with probs

Well, we've had this little MCS for a good 40K miles for my daughter, but we're looking for a 4 door sedan replacement. It's been good ,except for a few issues(strut blowout/cracked intake). It's currently having shifting issues(Auto Trans) as it slips out of gear and winds out including 'hard shifts'.
Long story short, we go to Car Max and they want to give us $1500 for it due to tranny on it's last leg. Other issues are AC blows hot and air bag light on. It's got 77K on it and I don't care to dump a ton of money on it just to turn around and try to sell private.
My thoughts are to let it go as such. Any care to comment? Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:04 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I know the CVT models had issues. Not sure what they are - but I stayed away from them because of all the warnings. You would probably make more (maybe) selling it yourself. CarMax isn't exactly known for giving top dollar. If you care to part it out (which is what they'll do if they don't fix it), you could probably easily make that and more.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:17 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Finding someone who wants to buy a car that needs a ton of work might be an arduous task. The fixes may be minor, but you don't know. Transmission $2K-$3K, plus the other problems. What price would you be looking for, then decide if it would be worth the effort.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 PM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Finding someone who wants to buy a car that needs a ton of work might be an arduous task. The fixes may be minor, but you don't know. Transmission $2K-$3K, plus the other problems. What price would you be looking for, then decide if it would be worth the effort.
People like me!

If you're near the midwest, shoot me a PM. I saved 2 from the junkyard in the last 6 months (and brought a third back to life).

Old 06-21-2018, 01:52 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniTigger
I know the CVT models had issues.
The CVT was only used in Cooper models.

The following 2 users liked this post by MINIAC:
DTMLGND (06-21-2018), MiniTigger (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:11 PM
DTMLGND
1st Gear
Thanks all for the replies, keep em coming.

I know the CVT models had issues. Not sure what they are - but I stayed away from them because of all the warnings. You would probably make more (maybe) selling it yourself. CarMax isn't exactly known for giving top dollar. If you care to part it out (which is what they'll do if they don't fix it), you could probably easily make that and more.
Wish I had time and patience, but way too much work for me. Thanks!

Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Exactly, that's kinda my thought. IF I have to dump another 3G's, it may or may not break even on a private sale.

Originally Posted by megaDan
People like me!

If you're near the midwest, shoot me a PM. I saved 2 from the junkyard in the last 6 months (and brought a third back to life).
I'm out West, sorry.

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
This car does not have a CVT in it

MiniTigger (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
The CVT was only used in Cooper models.

I'm assuming you mean Justa's (base) as they're ALL Cooper models.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:22 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
I'm assuming you mean Justa's (base) as they're ALL Cooper models.
They're not: the two models were a Cooper and a Cooper S . . so a Cooper S is not a Cooper

MiniTigger (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 07:31 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Noonzio
They're not: the two models were a Cooper and a Cooper S . . so a Cooper S is not a Cooper
I see where you're going - but I will respectfully disagree. All MINI sells are Coopers. Cooper (base), Cooper S, Cooper Convertible, Cooper JCW, Cooper GP, Cooper Coupe, Cooper Clubman, Cooper Countryman, Cooper Roadster, Cooper E, etc, etc - they are ALL Coopers. A 'Cooper S' is a 'Cooper' with performance parts. Cooper JCW, even more performance. Cooper GP, even more.

Walk into a MINI dealer and ask them to sell you something that is NOT a Cooper and see what they offer.

I did not know the Cooper S auto did not have a CVT - thanks for that info.

Last edited by MiniTigger; 06-21-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
I see where you're going - but I will respectfully disagree. All MINI sells are Coopers. Cooper (base), Cooper S, Cooper Convertible, Cooper JCW, Cooper GP, Cooper Coupe, Cooper Clubman, Cooper Countryman, Cooper Roadster, Cooper E, etc, etc - they are ALL Coopers. A 'Cooper S' is a 'Cooper' with performance parts. Cooper JCW, even more performance. Cooper GP, even more.

Walk into a MINI dealer and ask them to sell you something that is NOT a Cooper and see what they offer.

I did not know the Cooper S auto did not have a CVT - thanks for that info.
I can walk into a Mini dealer in the UK, or Ireland, or anywhere outside the US, and get a Mini ONE. And thats not a Cooper. Done and done.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
That would be the only thing you could buy - and if you were looking for performance, you wouldn't be buying it - because it's not as good as ANY Cooper.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
That would be the only thing you could buy - and if you were looking for performance, you wouldn't be buying it - because it's not as good as ANY Cooper.
Ah listen, you've lost me now. The point I was trying to make is that all Mini's are not Cooper's. And thats an actual fact.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:10 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Unless everyone is wrong, to include MINI, then ALL MINI's are Coopers (except for the One, which is a Cooper with a smaller motor and less options).

https://new.minimania.com/MINI_model_designations

Look closely - EVERY entry has Cooper.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:32 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Way to side track a thread.

Where are you located and how much exactly do you expect to recoup from the car?
What color, condition (interior / exterior)?

The following 3 users liked this post by downshift1:
DTMLGND (06-22-2018), Goldsmithy (08-03-2018), MiniTigger (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The airbag light may be fixed for free under recall if it is due to the passenger seat sensor.
The transmission could be expensive to fix or as low at $1500, depends on what the issue is.
The AC is likely going to be pretty steep > $1000, but you could get lucky.

It probably has a bunch of other stuff needing replacement due to its age, mileage and MINIness. $1500 sounds pretty good.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by aspen
the airbag light may be fixed for free under recall if it is due to the passenger seat sensor.
The transmission could be expensive to fix or as low at $1500, depends on what the issue is.
The ac is likely going to be pretty steep > $1000, but you could get lucky.

It probably has a bunch of other stuff needing replacement due to its age, mileage and mininess. $1500 sounds pretty good.

+1

Old 06-22-2018, 09:52 AM
DTMLGND
1st Gear
Originally Posted by downshift1
Way to side track a thread.

Where are you located and how much exactly do you expect to recoup from the car?
What color, condition (interior / exterior)?
I'm in Modesto 95355. It's White and the condition inside and out is good. PM me your contact(cell) and I'll send you some pics.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2018, 10:57 AM
DTMLGND
1st Gear
MCs

Originally Posted by megaDan
People like me!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:45 AM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
DTMLGND I live in the same area code. send me a PM and I'll take a look and see if I can do.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:02 PM
DTMLGND
1st Gear
Pmd ya @Checkers

Old 08-03-2018, 12:00 PM
DTMLGND
1st Gear
Originally Posted by checkers
DTMLGND I live in the same area code. send me a PM and I'll take a look and see if I can do.
Thanks for stopping by @Checkers! Your MCS rocks man! Any word from your buddy?
I actually tried this stuff called "Oil Extreme" in the tranny last week.
http://www.oilextreme.com/oil1.html
Started out shifting smoother, but had a few jerky shifts last time out. Called the inventor and he said to put more miles on it and check back as some say results may come later than others. I figured it was worth a try. Still need to drive it a bit more.
Still a little undecided in regards to fixing the issues at hand. There's an Indy I usually to go and he's very welll versed with these cars.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
An ac recharge is worth the diy effort for $25-30 buying a recharge kit from Walmart. A Creator c310 scanner will turn off that nagging code. I’ll bet that someone near you has a scanner and can take care of that for you otherwise EBay has the scanners all day for $45.00 Hope things work out for you and your daughter.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:33 PM
DTMLGND
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shiner
An ac recharge is worth the diy effort for $25-30 buying a recharge kit from Walmart. A Creator c310 scanner will turn off that nagging code. I’ll bet that someone near you has a scanner and can take care of that for you otherwise EBay has the scanners all day for $45.00 Hope things work out for you and your daughter.
Thanks! @shiner I did actually try a re-charge kit from Autozone for like $50 and unfortunately it did not get me cold air.
Appreciate the help.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:45 PM
DTMLGND
1st Gear
OK, here's the latest. Since the Re-charge kit didn't work, my thought was to at least try and get the AC looked at and re-charged hopefully without dumping a ton more $$. So, I took it in to my Indy who's very familiar with these cars. I drop it off and tell the gal to make sure the mechanic calls me so I could tell him my situation. After a day without a call, she tells me they found the electric fan is not even working and he's surprised I haven't overheated and blown the motor! I told him that it's been parked for over a month since I found the tranny problem and maybe driven it 20 miles in spurts of 5 to 10. Anyhow, I'm staring at a fan replacement at minimum and hope the AC can be re-charged. Obvious choice was to get the fan fixed or face overheating or worse. Shop proceeded to fix fan and add R-134. Get the call to pick it up and on the tag($675!!) it says, AC serviced, but only cool air(comfortable) on pass side and warm on driver.
I didn't notice until driving home as I was in hurry to return to work. It's boiling out here in central valley and driving away without the AC i'm expecting to be ice cold is quite the contrary blew my mind. So, I call back and say I'll be back after work.
As I pull up, the shop owner tells me to pull it in so he can check it out. He tells me they wrote it down on the tag, but since he know I didn't want to dump any more $$$ on it, didn't bother to call or proceed with any further work. Says there's something wrong in the dash, or vent system or more but need to investigate. For sure I don't want to spend another cent. Anyways, he spends another 1 hr on it after shop closes(no additional charges, thank GOD). Checks the circuits with his laptop, everything OK. Recovers R-134. Takes apart glove compartment to check vent system and it's working properly. Blows air/cold water on evaporator and still same results. Basically he tells me evaporator/expansion valve faulty or some blockage in system from that point on. Apparently, the system flows in the direction form pass side to driver side.
At any case, I will not be driving it until I take it in for trade this upcoming Labor Day Weekend in hopes of finding some deals!!

Wish me luck. Sorry to say NAM it will be a NIPPON product

Quick Reply: R50/53 Looking to trade in '05 MCS with probs