R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 TheWader's Money Pit of a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:33 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
TheWader's Money Pit of a Daily Driver

Hey guys,

The names Will and I recently picked up a 2003 Mini Cooper S as a daily driver for my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I purchase the MINI from an original owner. Custom ordered from BMW with every option available, 122k on the odometer, all service records, and a body/interior in exceptional condition. He had a factory roof rack that he included with the car that was literally brand new. A 15 year old roof rack in the box brand new...who does that? Anyway, unfortunately after the first couple of weeks of ownership, the clutch started to slip, then the power steering started to go out, then the car started to get sluggish...so to say the least it is becoming very expensive. But it also presented me a great opportunity to refurbish this awesome car and bring it back to life. Figured I would make a journal to track all the fun.

CURRENT BUILD:

ENGINE:
- John Cooper Works Catback Exhaust
- John Cooper Works Intake
- John Cooper Works One Step Colder Spark Plugs
- John Cooper Works 380cc Injectors
- Alta Header (not installed)
- Detroit Tuned By Pass Valve
- MSD Spark Plug Wires
- MSD Coil Pack
- DDM Intercooler Boots
- Powerflex Tensioner Bushings (not installed)

DRIVETRAIN:
- Vibra-technics Right Hand Engine Mount
- Vibra-technics Gearbox Mount
- PowerFlex Lower Engine Mount bushings
- PowerFlex Upper Passenger Engine Mount bushings
- GNK Front Axles (not installed)
- Valeo Single Mass Clutch Conversion (not installed)

WHEELS/BRAKES/TIRES:
- John Cooper Works R112 Challenge Wheels
- Bridgestone Potenza RE-71
- John Cooper Works R56 Brembo Brakes (front)
- EBC USR Slotted Rotors (front and rear)
- EBC Red Stuff Pads (front and rear)
- Way Motor Works Stainless Steel Brake Lines (front and rear)

EXTERIOR:
- Nothing except lots of plasti-dip to cover up the terrible chrome
- John Cooper Works Front and Rear Badges (not installed)
- John Cooper Works Aero Front Bumper (not installed)
- John Cooper Works Aero Side Skirts (not installed)

INTERIOR:
- Factory AUX Port on Blank Switch

MAINTENANCE:
- Liten Supercharger Tensioner (not installed)
- Fuel Filter Replacement
- Throttle Body Gasket
- BPV Hose, Intake Hose
- Waterpump (not installed)

The day I bought the car.

After I got it back home with the other monster of a project.

Last edited by 1FSTREX; 08-05-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:18 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
You are turning your own wrenches on this "trip?"

Service records note anything with the water pump or supercharger?

Old 05-31-2018, 07:00 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Looks like its in good shape. I'd also be interested in service records - wondering if the 100k service was done.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
I have seen others that have bought cars that were no problem for the prior owner that need a pile of work after the purchase. It may be attributable to a change in driving habits making issues surface. It could be a money pit or a wave of needed services and you are good to go for a while. Time will tell. Good luck. It looks great.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
You are turning your own wrenches on this "trip?"

Service records note anything with the water pump or supercharger?
I’m doing the things that I can. I’m leaving the clutch and LSD to my buddies shop.

Supercharger was serviced but no water pump. That will be handled as part of all the clutch job.

Originally Posted by MiniTigger
Looks like its in good shape. I'd also be interested in service records - wondering if the 100k service was done.
That’s what’s great, the body of the car is in pristine shape. There is literally not even a door ding on the car. Good question it looks like some of the 100K services were done but not all of them.

Originally Posted by miniCPA
I have seen others that have bought cars that were no problem for the prior owner that need a pile of work after the purchase. It may be attributable to a change in driving habits making issues surface. It could be a money pit or a wave of needed services and you are good to go for a while. Time will tell. Good luck. It looks great.
Yeah I probably drive a lot more aggressive than the previous owner did which made the clutch slipping come to light. I think the power steering pump was dumb “luck”.

My title sounds really negative but it was supposed to be a joke. I honestly don’t mind at all and you are right, I think putting the time and money into the car now will allow it to last another decade.

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
While the car sits waiting for me to purchase all the maintenance and preventative maintenance parts, I thought I’d start detailing the car.

So the guy I bought it from hadn’t driven it for months because he bought a new car. The first step was to give the engine bay a good cleaning.

This was the engine bay before.

This was the engine bay after

Close up of the intake area before.

And after

Very happy with how well it cleaned up. I’m going to continue doing a lot of these small projects while I wait for all the parts to arrive. Next up is getting rid of all the terrible chrome!

MiniTigger (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:32 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
While I continue to wait for parts to come in I am doing little projects here and there. I decided to Plasti-Dip some of the chrome pieces today. I am not a huge plasti-dip fan because I feel like it is cheap and that gets to my OCD but I can't argue with how it comes out. I wish they offered black headlight rings for the R53 with headlight washers. Here are the results, I did the headlight rings, chrome upper and middle grille pieces, and the side badges.

While I had the side vents out to plasti-dip them, I went ahead and installed some smoked side markers. I think they go great with the dark silver and the black side vents.

MiniTigger (06-04-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:18 PM
Jimmyjamesphan
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks great. I got the same car as a daily

MiniTigger (06-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 04:33 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The black trim looks great.

MiniTigger (06-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Two things I noticed under the bonnet, check the strut towers for mushrooming which is easily corrected if evident then lay on strut tower plates to prevent future mushrooming. Those towers are a weak spot. Also, look into replacing the plastic expansion tank with stainless. The seam has a habit of coming apart after a few years.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fly'n Brick:
1FSTREX (06-02-2018), MiniTigger (06-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 10:38 AM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jimmyjamesphan
Looks great. I got the same car as a daily
Thanks man! Your R53 is one of my favorites on NAM.

Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
The black trim looks great.
Thanks! It is a good fix until I can get Aero grills. I just want to put the majority of the money into maintenance and getting the car running strong again.

Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Two things I noticed under the bonnet, check the strut towers for mushrooming which is easily corrected if evident then lay on strut tower plates to prevent future mushrooming. Those towers are a weak spot. Also, look into replacing the plastic expansion tank with stainless. The seam has a habit of coming apart after a few years.
Appreciate the information, those are two things that I did not think of or was aware of. I was wondering why people added the stainless expansion tanks, that answers my question.

MiniTigger (06-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 10:50 AM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear

Looks like a new Vibra-technics motor mount will be on its way here shortly. I had seen some residual oil marks when I cleaned the engine bay and this now confirms that the OEM motor mount is bad. Going to go ahead and do the rest of them at the same time while I am at it.

Thinking of doing Vibra-technics street mounts all the way around. Thoughts?

MiniTigger (06-07-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 06:15 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
So after following @Jimmyjames build and talking to him, I wanted to find some R56 JCW side skirts for my R53.

While looking at local Craigslist postings I happen to notice a picture of a R53 with what looked to be aftermarket exhaust tips. I thought to myself, “man why don’t I look for more than just the side skirts?”

So I went down to the recycle yard and the car was located on the third story of their storage racks. I asked for the guy to bring it down so I can look at it but he wouldn’t do it unless I bought it. I took a second look at the under carriage and it definitely looked like an aftermarket exhaust.

I asked the guy how much for the exhaust? He said $250. I thought to myself, “well, if it’s an eBay exhaust most go for $350. If it’s a milltek then it’s worth $900. Win win.”

However, I had to feel like I’m getting a deal. So I told the guy I wasn’t sure if it would fit and he said if it doesn’t I can bring it back. Right....so I told the guy, $200 and I can’t bring it back. He accepted and said he would have it ready in a few hours.

So I rolled the dice and paid...

I came back and the exhaust was there waiting for me. To my surprise...it was a JCW Exhaust!!!!

It looked like the gas tank had burst and spilled gas all over the exhaust. Tons of gunk and dirt all over it. Crossed my fingers there was no damage.

I got a few cans of the Autozone engine degreaser (love that stuff) and sprayed quite a few coats on the exhaust and scrubbed the crap out of it.

After it was all said and done it came out quite well! Not bad for $200 bucks!!!

MiniTigger (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 05:42 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Very nice find!!!

Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX

Looks like a new Vibra-technics motor mount will be on its way here shortly. I had seen some residual oil marks when I cleaned the engine bay and this now confirms that the OEM motor mount is bad. Going to go ahead and do the rest of them at the same time while I am at it.

Thinking of doing Vibra-technics street mounts all the way around. Thoughts?
I have the competition mounts for the upper right and the lower one. If you get the comp for the lower - there will be a lot more noise in the cabin as it mounts directly to the floor pan of the car. There will be a lot more vibration as well. If it didn't rattle or vibrate before, it will. EVERYTHING in my car vibrates of rattles. I kind of like it because racecar! - or that is what I tell myself. My car is also a daily driver. I should have changed them out one at a time starting with the upper right. But I didn't. I still have the OEM lower one and may swap it out just to know what it is like with just the upper right comp mount in and the OEM lower. I don't have a lot of free time on my hands so it may never happen... If you want the full racecar feel and sound, go with the competition mounts all around. If not, get the street versions. Order directly from the .co.uk web address, even with 3 day shipping (their only option) at £35, you will still save money and Phil is awesome to work with.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thinker2112:
1FSTREX (06-04-2018), MiniTigger (06-12-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:13 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniTigger
Very nice find!!!
Thanks! Pretty stoked! Now I just want to get a non-resonated mid pipe welded up to louden up the exhaust a bit.

Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
I have the competition mounts for the upper right and the lower one. If you get the comp for the lower - there will be a lot more noise in the cabin as it mounts directly to the floor pan of the car. There will be a lot more vibration as well. If it didn't rattle or vibrate before, it will. EVERYTHING in my car vibrates of rattles. I kind of like it because racecar! - or that is what I tell myself. My car is also a daily driver. I should have changed them out one at a time starting with the upper right. But I didn't. I still have the OEM lower one and may swap it out just to know what it is like with just the upper right comp mount in and the OEM lower. I don't have a lot of free time on my hands so it may never happen... If you want the full racecar feel and sound, go with the competition mounts all around. If not, get the street versions. Order directly from the .co.uk web address, even with 3 day shipping (their only option) at £35, you will still save money and Phil is awesome to work with.
Awesome! Appreciate the feedback and it validates my initial thoughts. I will be autocrossing the car but it will also be a daily driver. Sounds like the Street version is the choice for me. I was able to located the upper passenger side mount from a dealer in the UK selling on eBay for $185 shipped US. Unfortunately the lower left mount is a lot harder to find and more expensive so I think I will take your advice and go through the OE website.

MiniTigger (06-07-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX
Awesome! Appreciate the feedback and it validates my initial thoughts. I will be autocrossing the car but it will also be a daily driver. Sounds like the Street version is the choice for me. I was able to located the upper passenger side mount from a dealer in the UK selling on eBay for $185 shipped US. Unfortunately the lower left mount is a lot harder to find and more expensive so I think I will take your advice and go through the OE website.

The $185 US is a better deal than what I but the Comp version is slightly more anyway. I wish I a spent a little more time searching for mine... My lower mount was £136.12 shipped from vibra-technics.co.uk

I live in Portland Oregon and have no affiliation with them but had a very good experience with them and want to try and get them a little more business because of it.

MiniTigger (06-07-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
The $185 US is a better deal than what I but the Comp version is slightly more anyway. I wish I a spent a little more time searching for mine... My lower mount was £136.12 shipped from vibra-technics.co.uk

I live in Portland Oregon and have no affiliation with them but had a very good experience with them and want to try and get them a little more business because of it.
I always appreciate some good feedback and a well ran business. I will definitely reach out to them about the other mounts that I require!

MiniTigger (06-07-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:35 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
So the MINI was purchased as a daily driver; however, when finding out that the car needed so much work I decided to swap out some of the parts with “higher performance” parts. I decided to replace my factory injectors with some 380cc JCW replacement injectors.

MiniTigger (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 12:05 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
First of all, nice find on the Mini! And you're excited about it, and want to play with it and improve it. All great! I think we've all been there.

But here's some (unsolicited) advice about performance upgrades, like the above injectors: some new "performance" parts won't do you a bit of good without doing more - parts, tunes, upgrades, etc. New injectors are never a bad thing, but these won't improve performance without more parts - and a tune. They'll only deliver as much fuel as the ECM tells them to. If you port & polish the head, smaller S/C pulley, bigger intercooler, free-flow air intake... now you're building horsepower and could use larger fuel injectors. Poly engine mounts sound great, but are harsh for a DD.

There are so many other improvements you could be making to the Mini that will actually make it better right now. Suspension stuff, bushings, strut bar, shifter bushings (if it's the least bit sloppy), brakes, crank pulley, supercharger pulley, belt tensioner assembly, single-mass clutch kit... It's a never ending list. I'm sure you're doing a ton of reading on this site, and all of the great people here have given hours upon hours of tips, advice and camaraderie. Great to have a new Mini owner here, and good luck with it!

MiniTigger (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 07:45 AM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Filmy
First of all, nice find on the Mini! And you're excited about it, and want to play with it and improve it. All great! I think we've all been there.

But here's some (unsolicited) advice about performance upgrades, like the above injectors: some new "performance" parts won't do you a bit of good without doing more - parts, tunes, upgrades, etc. New injectors are never a bad thing, but these won't improve performance without more parts - and a tune. They'll only deliver as much fuel as the ECM tells them to. If you port & polish the head, smaller S/C pulley, bigger intercooler, free-flow air intake... now you're building horsepower and could use larger fuel injectors. Poly engine mounts sound great, but are harsh for a DD.

There are so many other improvements you could be making to the Mini that will actually make it better right now. Suspension stuff, bushings, strut bar, shifter bushings (if it's the least bit sloppy), brakes, crank pulley, supercharger pulley, belt tensioner assembly, single-mass clutch kit... It's a never ending list. I'm sure you're doing a ton of reading on this site, and all of the great people here have given hours upon hours of tips, advice and camaraderie. Great to have a new Mini owner here, and good luck with it!
Thanks, I am very excited about the find. I appreciate the advice and I guess I should have a been a little more clear when I said that. I completely understand where you are coming from, I actually have an entire build plan built on excel with an accompanying budget. I should actually post it and see what you all think.

My back ground actually comes from performance cars, I built and raced a Subaru STI in SCCA ASP class. Appreciate you sharing the MINI specific advice as I have been spending a lot of time researching MINI specific upgrades and how they are unique and different to my knowledge in the Subaru world.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1FSTREX:
MiniTigger (06-07-2018), scubus (09-15-2021)
Old 06-10-2018, 01:49 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
Hey guys, need some input on radiator replacement. I was sold on getting the CSF but after doing some research a lot of people say to just stick with the OEM radiator. The MINI is basically a daily driver and weekend autocross racer. Think an aluminum radiator (CSF) is worth the extra money or should I just stick with a Nissens OEM replacement?

Thanks! - Will

MiniTigger (06-12-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 02:59 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I have a problem with all plastic tank radiators! They always crack and leak in the long haul!
I personally always swap in full metal radiators. A little extra cooling can never hurt either!

MiniTigger (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 AM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
Got the MINI up on jack stands today to start the brake job. Decided to do a complete overhaul, pass, rotors, calipers, etc.

I did some research and it looks like a lot of people do the R56S brake upgrade on the R53-S as the “poor man JCW” upgrade. So I set out on another junk yard adventure; however, quickly into it I was striking out left and right.

I called the last junk yard and asked if they had R56S brakes, they said no but they had some JCW brakes and asked what year I had. I told them an 03 but was doing an upgrade. They said the brakes they had were from an 06 so I asked how much. They said $350. My curiosity peaked and I drove down there.

I pulled up and the guy took me to the back area and showed me the “06 JCW Brakes”. To my surprise they were not from an 06, they were from a 2010 and the Brembo style JCW brakes. It truly wasn’t what I was looking for but decided the price was too good to pass up.

Some moron had written paint pen all over the calipers so I was able to talk the guy down to $300 for the pair! My full intention was to clean them up and flip them but I have since decided to keep them. Restoration process and pictures to come!

MiniTigger (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
You've had great luck at the junkyards! The MINI is a lucky car.

Quick Reply: R50/53 TheWader's Money Pit of a Daily Driver