R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Blown Transmission r50 04 5-speed help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Austin123
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Transmission r50 04 5-speed help

As the above description reads I own a 2004 MC (non-s) with a blown 5-speed Midlands transmission in the car currently sitting with 162k miles. I need to know the best/most "bulletproof" fix because theres no sense in selling at this point. Ive read that the midlands are shitty but i got my use so i could care less Ive been looking around for replacement trans but having difficulty finding something cheap. I need to know if I'm better off putting a 6-speed in, replacing what i got, or getting a rebuild kit etc. I have a shop with a lift, along with a knowledgeable mechanic to help. Im tired of searching to find dead ends, i need it straight from the people who have been in my seat before. A write up, and a list of parts would be a must if I'm swapping out (if its worth it) and a website for parts would be fantastic. Ik mini mania.com has a **** ton of parts and I've been on way motor works before too. Im assuming theres at least a crack in my case because it was dumping fluids, threw it on the lift and saw nothing from the bottom. its probably just out of sight so I'm not sure if that shoots the rebuild idea, BUT i am welder so if i can weld up the crack ill do it. I'm guessing the case is aluminum/cast. ANY AND ALL HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED!! links to other threads is also a plus. please I'm reaching out for some help guys don't slay me down because I'm new lol. idk if a state helps, but I'm in NJ if any of you guys are from here and can help me out I'm more then willing to drive and pick up parts.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:23 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If you want the bullet proof fix going to the 6spd is it. But you'll need the new clutch and flywheel, axles, clutch line, trans mount to make it work.

I wouldn't buy a used 5spd as it will likely just be a matter of time before it also fails, and they usually want a bunch for them.
Going the new 5spd is easy and they are reliable, but not cheap.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 AM
pikwit
1st Gear
If you are feeling like driving, I have an almost complete 6 speed swap for your car but I'm in Wisconsin. I've got the transmission(2004 model with around 100k), cables, clutch and flywheel kit, the hydraulic line, starter, trans mount, and 1 of the two axles. I'd sell it all for 700$ you would only need to get 1 axle to complete your swap.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by pikwit
If you are feeling like driving, I have an almost complete 6 speed swap for your car but I'm in Wisconsin. I've got the transmission(2004 model with around 100k), cables, clutch and flywheel kit, the hydraulic line, starter, trans mount, and 1 of the two axles. I'd sell it all for 700$ you would only need to get 1 axle to complete your swap.
Wow that is a crazy good deal

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-12-2016, 09:46 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R50

Originally Posted by Austin123
As the above description reads I own a 2004 MC (non-s) with a blown 5-speed Midlands transmission in the car currently sitting with 162k miles. I need to know the best/most "bulletproof" fix because theres no sense in selling at this point. Ive read that the midlands are shitty but i got my use so i could care less Ive been looking around for replacement trans but having difficulty finding something cheap. I need to know if I'm better off putting a 6-speed in, replacing what i got, or getting a rebuild kit etc. I have a shop with a lift, along with a knowledgeable mechanic to help. Im tired of searching to find dead ends, i need it straight from the people who have been in my seat before. A write up, and a list of parts would be a must if I'm swapping out (if its worth it) and a website for parts would be fantastic. Ik mini mania.com has a **** ton of parts and I've been on way motor works before too. Im assuming theres at least a crack in my case because it was dumping fluids, threw it on the lift and saw nothing from the bottom. its probably just out of sight so I'm not sure if that shoots the rebuild idea, BUT i am welder so if i can weld up the crack ill do it. I'm guessing the case is aluminum/cast. ANY AND ALL HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED!! links to other threads is also a plus. please I'm reaching out for some help guys don't slay me down because I'm new lol. idk if a state helps, but I'm in NJ if any of you guys are from here and can help me out I'm more then willing to drive and pick up parts.
Yep, we have a ton of parts. Please let us know if you need help from rebuild kits to an entire tranny with two-year warranty from MINI.

Replacement Trans:
http://new.minimania.com/part/NMD101...Gen1-2002-2004

Rebuild Kit:
http://new.minimania.com/part/NMK7100/Mini-Cooper-Midlands-Gearbox-5-speed-Rebuild-Kit-Oem

Please let us know if we can help!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:41 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
There is/was a thread somewhere here about the 6-speed swap with a parts list. There also is/was a PDF that you could download for this as well.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:45 AM
ALLMAGAutoParts
Former Vendor
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
There is/was a thread somewhere here about the 6-speed swap with a parts list. There also is/was a PDF that you could download for this as well.
I believe you're referring to this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150404...heWeakLink.pdf

Old 12-13-2016, 08:47 AM
pikwit
1st Gear
If you feel like tackling the project, I've done it personally and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Very straightforward swap.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
@Allmagautoparts - that's it!

Old 12-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Austin123
Neutral

Just a quick question about this bud
Why would you only need one axle to do the swap? and which one would you need lol.
Thanks, Austin

Old 12-19-2016, 08:09 PM
pikwit
1st Gear
To use my parts, you'd have to get yourself a driver's side axle because I used it on my r53. I have the passenger side axle with support bearing. These parts came off my 6 speed swapped r50 that ended up getting totaled.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
To use my parts, you'd have to get yourself a driver's side axle because I used it on my r53. I have the passenger side axle with support bearing. These parts came off my 6 speed swapped r50 that ended up getting totaled.

6 speed swap would be the way to go, and at this guys price you can't really beat that. I paid $750ish JUST for the Midlands rebuild kit, I really regret that...

Let us know which route you choose to go. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Austin123
Neutral
Im getting a R53 6 speed off an 03 guys. Im going with the swap!!

Old 12-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Transmission

Sounds great, let us know if you need some help.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That's the most beneficial, easy, and more reliable option. Great choice. You're lucky you were able to find the parts at one source.

Report back with some excellent results bro!

Good luck.