R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 "Old faithful" is down again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:35 PM
joshzash14
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Old faithful" is down again...

Hi Everyone,
Looking to see if I can get some insight on what may be wrong with my 04 R50.
Background: Yesterday I get a call from my girlfriend as the car is acting up. She tells me that she feels the clutch peddle shaking and the shifter shaking as she is driving down the road. Shortly after she tells me she cant get the car into gear and that the car is making a weird noise. As she cant move the car I have her shut it off until I can get there.
When I get to the mini I turn the car on and with the clutch pedal down hear a whirrng noise similar to metal spinning on metal. When I let go of the clutch the noise goes away. I then try shifting the car into gear with no luck. I have to shut the car off in order to place the car in gear, and once I do I am able to get the car to move, but have to ride the clutch pedal so that it does not stall out as it is very hesitant to get going. Once the car is in gear you can get it out while it is running, but cannot get it back into gear and the car still made the same noise if I put the clutch pedal in.
When I get home I go under the car to see if there are any leaks from the transmission, but do not see anything. Today I took out the airbox to visually inspect the slave cylinder and did not see any leaks/spot that I could attribute to it leaking. I have not taken out the battery box yet so I cannot see if the Master Cylinder may be leaking, but my break fluid is full and there where no puddles under the car this am.
At this moment I believe the the throwout bearing might be caput, but am looking for some insight in how I can possibly rule out the slave cylinder/master cylinder? Also is there a way to pier into the transmission by the fork/slave cylinder so i can seak a peek at the throwout bearing and fork without tearing the car down? I know that the clutch/fork/throwout bearing are not working appropriately which is preventing the clutch and flywheel from separating and am looking for any tips/insight/ways to test that you guys can offer.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:37 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Throwout bearing probably gave up.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
The fork itself may have cracked or bent. Definitely not as common as the bearing going bad but known to happen once in a while.

Don't know of any way to see in there without taking the bell off.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:30 AM
joshzash14
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. After a day of work I can confirm the throwout bearing is caput. Good thing I bought a clutch kit through pelican parts.