R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I want a Mini but is it really reliable??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 05:52 PM
imaginemini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a Mini but is it really reliable??

I have fallen in love with Minis. They are adorable and are so much fun to drive (back to a 5-speed after wimping out into an automatic 8 years ago!). I am about convinced that I really want to have one but I'm kind of afraid it won't be as reliable and maintenance-free as my Toyotas and Hondas have been for over 20 years. I just don't think I'll handle breakdowns too well. I'm a woman and I drive 20 miles from one side of a city to the other every day to work -- it wouldn't be good. Any comments?? I need help to feel confident about this car.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:01 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile: Hi, imaginemini! Welcome to NAM! I'm a woman who has owned my current MINI since 4/03 and have almost 35K miles on it. It has been completely reliable. I had a 2002 5-speed Cooper which I traded in for the '03 MCS after seeing a picture of an all-black one and having to have one, too!

I've driven Wanda on two cross-country trips and the first trip was a solo excursion. I had no problems whatsoever. While there are some quirks like rattles and squeaks in some MINIs, over all I think it's very reliable. :smile:

Hondas and Toyotas are fine vehicles, but the MINI is something to fall in love with and enjoy! I hop into Wanda, love driving her anywhere and everywhere, and still gaze out the living room window at her parked in the driveway, so thrilled that she's mine!

Clo/Wanda

Old 09-01-2004, 06:07 PM
lotsie
Banned
I've had mine going on 14 months,28k+ miles,never let me down.I have 100 mile round trip commute to work.And if you live were there is snow,no problem.Oh,and it's fun to

Old 09-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your talking about a mass produced car that has been built and delivered in the US for three years, build quality and improvements are constantly being made. Regular maintence is included for 3 years or 36,000 miles and it has a 4 year or 50,000 miles warranty with full roadside assistance....if you like it, GO FOR IT, you won't regret it, IT IS A BLAST !

For my experience I only put about 8,000 miles a year as an everyday driver and with the first regular service at 10,000 miles and the second at 25,000 miles I probably won't get all my free services LOL. It has been very reliable to date only needing the scheduled maintence.

Unless you put on alot of miles I wouldn't have any reliability fears, and even at that some members here have put on up to 100,000 miles in 2 years and you can find their experiences in these forums.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:24 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
From what I can tell, MINI started out pretty good and just kept getting better. A lot of early build issues have been settled.......but to my knowledge these weren't the type of thing to leave a motorer stranded. Besides, MINI offers its own roadside assist program which seems quite good, but frankly most of us have never even considered having to use it. Most MINIs are rock solid...and the '05s are even better (if that's possible).

In the end, all cars have their problems, even the venerable Toyotas and Hondas. Study it a bit...ask questions (...which you're doing. Yay!). I think you'll find MINIs are not only reliable, but offer something most cars can't even touch....a fun, engaging motoring experience.

Now, look deeply into your automotive soul. If you just want a commuter vehicle, super, get a Honda....you'll be happy. But if you want something extra out of your driving experience and are ready to be swept up by an irrational, irresistable affection for the car you drive then go for a MINI.

Reliability isn't a real issue in this case....both will serve well. You'll just become neurotic about where you park one of them.

Best wishes as you make your decision!!!

Old 09-01-2004, 06:30 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
I just got back from a trip to Toronto Canada. Unfortunately I had to fly there, and thus was without my MINI for a week. Instead I drove a Jeep Liberty. OMG, now that I'm back home, and with my MINI, life is wonderful!! The first thing I did when I got back wasn't to take a nap, but to go drive my MINI with my 4 month old son. After this quick ride, he fell asleep, and I got my MINI Fix.

My 2003 MC has 23,000 miles on it, and has been very reliable. And the joy it brings me from driving it is unmatched.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:00 PM
markp
Rush "Roll the Bones"
Imaginemini: One quick thing to think about... Just imagine walking out to a parking lot and side by side is a Honda Civic OR a new Mini Cooper S. On one hand you can say hey there's my sporty Honda Civic(and yes I'm being sarcastic) and on the other hand you can walk up probably the only Mini in the parking lot.
I promise every day you will fall in love with that little piece of machinery more than you can possibly imagine...It took my wife 5 drives till she felt the same as I did( it took that long to learn how to drive a stick). Now on the reliability front so far I have 18k in 14 months and only in the shop for an Oil change and a squeaky rear hatch.

Both cars are very well built but having said that, yes Hondas do have problems and do break down,go look into your nearest Honda's service Dept. I bet all the lifts are filled with cars. So, do you buy a belly button that everyone has OR, do you buy a unique car that will give you the most pleasure you ever thought possible.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I've had two MINI's; and neither has left me on the side of the road for any reason.

Most of the problems are not only minimal, but either aesthetic, or part of non-critical systems (waaa! my sunroof squeaks, that kind of annoying but not important stuff)

Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect the MINI to be as maintenance free as some boring Toyota. Then again, Love isn't mainentance-free either

Old 09-01-2004, 07:22 PM
MINItencan
Coordinator :: MINI Car Club of Indiana (MINICCI)
We have had our MC since 3/03 and have put over 39,000 miles on it. I drive it daily to work (46 mi round trip). It's been to Flordia twice, several trips to the Dragon TN/NC) and driven the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. Never have had a problem or complaint yet!

Old 09-01-2004, 07:24 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 MCS

Last summer I spent 6 weeks in my car, driving 10,039 miles around the country. Ollie will be 2 years (since delivery) in January, I have just shy of 37K miles on him and he's never left me stranded on the side of the road.

That said: he DOES have issues and I am, quite frankly, concerned about out of warranty repairs. But I don't fear racking up the miles, and I've never experienced a stall or crap-out of any kind.

Moral of my personal story: a MINI probably won't leave you stuck anywhere, but I wouldn't say you're guaranteed a problem-free car, either. (though they have gotten much better since 03, or so I've heard)

Old 09-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
I rolled my Mini out of the showroom in Sept. '02.......when they are supposed to have been the least reliable. However, 21,000 miles and two years later I have never been stranded and have never had a major problem. About 10% of any car produced will have some sort of serious problem, so no matter what you
buy there is some risk involved. The Mini is so different and so much fun and given that you already seem to recognize this it's well worth whatever risk you
believe you may be taking. I say, go for it!

Old 09-01-2004, 08:20 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
I too am a woman & drive a fair amount due to my job. I've had my MINI since March of 03. Louie has been the most reliable car I've ever had. I love the MINI so much that we are about to become a 2 MINI family. My lovely Sunnie the Cabrio will be mine in about a month

Lois

Old 09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Location: Fulltime RVer - R53 towed behind a vintage 1979 35' MCI MC-5C Saudi
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Imaginemini -- I have an EARLY 2002 MCS build. I've had more than my share of problems, but none have been of the strand-me variety. I've had annoyances, squeaks, rattles, updates & various repairs. I knew I was signing on to be a guinea pig buying the car so early and I accepted it (not always with grace , but still...)

That was the negative.

The positive is that I have never loved a car more. I have never loved another inanimate object more. Not even my big screen tv, clie or tivo. Love is a huge motivator. I just love driving this car. I love the people I met because of it. A friend on here just said to me in an email,

"People who don't own a MINI don't understand, when you buy a MINI, you're not just buying a car, you're buying a social club membership/support group/lifestyle!"

He's totally correct! We are not a demographic, we're a psycho-graphic. There is just a certain type of person that buys this car and joins up with NAM & a local car club. Doesn't matter if that person is rich or poor, educated or self-taught, black, white or purple... you'll probably get along with them... and well! They'll become your friends.

Go to a meet, do a cruise... tag along and see what you think. Reliability may take a backseat to love -- not saying that the car isn't reliable though.

Just remember that you can always call Roadside Assistance or get AAA when that expires. I once called Roadside Assistance in South Dakota because my boot latch got stuck in the locked position while open (so I couldn't lock the boot). They immediately offered suggestions to try. None worked. They offered to send a flatbed to SOUTH DAKOTA and to send me a rental to continue my journey from Chicago to Yellowstone that had just started. I declined -- it was the inaugural roadtrip. I called a Mini friend that I met online. The problem was solved.

That is what you buy. Money can buy you the MINI, but the MINI community is love & friends. You have to decide for yourself what you're willing to do for love.

As an aside, my brother-in-law's 2003 Honda Civic had 5 service visits over two years before they finally got the radio to work properly. I may have had more serious problems, but my tunes have always worked!

Old 09-01-2004, 09:05 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Hello imaginemini and Welcome!

So you've been bitten by the MINI bug, eh? Well you've come to the right place! Sit down and stay awhile... we're a friendly bunch. This board is one of the very best resources to get all of your questions about MINIs answered. :smile:

I've had Peanut since March '03; she's an early build '03, just when they were supposedly starting to tighten things up in build quality. With just over 30,000 (s)miles I've had a few minor issues, but nothing serious. All issues were fixed under warranty.

The best advice I can give you is to read the board and pay attention to it, as well as to your car. (If you've been bitten hard, this will be a pleasure, not a chore.) If something goes wrong, chances are you will notice it well before it becomes a big issue... A couple of problems I've had I might not have noticed if I hadn't known to look for them, like a leaking coolant tank that plagued '02s and early build '03s. They fixed the problem in mid-03 builds, so don't worry about that one! But the point is, if you pay attention, you have a much better chance that what could have been a big problem now becomes a minor inconvenience. Having said that, I haven't heard of any major problems happening on the '05s. In fact, my best friend just took delivery of his '05, trading in his '03, and he says the new car is more solidly built than his old car ever was!

Before I took delivery, I too was worried about being stranded by the side of the road. I got a reflective triangle and a couple of other things in case of emergency. I've never had to use it. In fact, a few months ago I took it out of the boot and it now sits gathering dust in my garage...

I too am a woman, and I've never been in love with a car before this one! If you'd have asked me three years ago what a sway bar is, or whether slotted rotors are better than dimpled or drilled, or even what rotors themselves are, I would have looked at you like you were talking a foreign language! Now I'm a MINIac and loving it!!

Old 09-01-2004, 09:40 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
1 year, a little over 18,000 miles... my MINI has had a few squeaks and rattles, and has had a few visits to the dealer for software updates, but nothing resembling the call-for-a-tow sort of incident. I'd feel quite confident sending my wife on a cross-country trip alone in this car, at least as far as mechanical issues go. (General safety in today's world is, of course, another matter, but off topic for this discussion.) The only significant problem I could forsee for her in taking such a trip is trying to pry my jealous backside out of the seat long enough to get behind the wheel!

MINI ownership is good for your health, both mental and physical:

I get depressed when I have to be away from the car for more than a day or two, and I pine for it when forced to commute in ordinary cars. A frequent MINI fix is a must- the day doesn't seem complete without it.

MINI owners get plenty of exercise. It's a loooong walk from the back of the parking lot! Carry a few heavy items with you, and it's a full-body workout!

Best wishes for a good descision, no matter what car finds a home in your driveway!

Old 09-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Vanwall
4th Gear
I've got an early '02 build CVT Cooper, and have had no real problems, in fact it's been the most reliable of my vehicles, always starting right up and motoring faithfully for almost 50,000 miles. I've part interest in my son's '03 'S' as well and other than the minor annoyances, his is a champ also! Go for it, and join the MINIworld!

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Old 09-01-2004, 10:34 PM
MImcs
Neutral
Sold my '92 300Z in '03 (with only 27K miles) with clear intentions on getting a MCS. 18 months & 24000 miles later, I couldn't be happier...:smile: A few squeaks & stuff as reported by others, but not a single mechanical problem at all. I don't think I could ever sell my Mini, but I've found myself recently wanting another one (cabrio....)

Old 09-02-2004, 04:47 AM
C4
Banned
'04 MCS (9/2003 build) with nearly 12K miles and not once back to the dealer for any kind of warranty related work since taking delivery on October 3rd, 2003. Most reliable new car I have ever owned. Rock solid, built like a bank vault and completely rattle/squeak free!!

'02 Cooper CVT (8/2002 build) with 25K troublefree miles. Looks brand new inside and out, ZERO mechanical, electrical, suspension, etc problems! We have put over 10K miles worth of roadtrips alone and has been to 9 states so far.

Get yours, you'll love it!

Old 09-02-2004, 05:21 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I’ve had my 02 MCS 2 years now and have been 100% trouble free. The only problems I have had were all self inflected and not a mechanical defect of the MINI itself i.e. a fender bender and broken passenger side mirror. The fact you have to drive across town to work can be intimidating if you think the car may not be reliable, but the MINI is very reliable.

Most people live relatively close to a dealer for service and many have a second car. My MCS is my only car and it’s a 600 mile drive to the closest dealer. If I felt the MINI was not reliable I would not have had it for 2 years now. In fact I have no intension of ever selling this MINI, but will buy another when I feel the time is right.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:28 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
51k miles... 2 years... 3 hours to the dealer... 1,000,000 times happy I bought this car!!!

Godspeed.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:49 AM
xpcdoojk
5th Gear
I love my 2003 MINI Cooper S in BRG/white. It is the single car in my whole life that I love. Sure the love isn't as passionate today as it was a year ago, but it is deep and lasting! I only drive Tiki when the weather is nice, because I have a boring Nissan Maxima that I drive regularly or my wife's Lexus RX300 when we have a long road trip. So Tiki is 18 months old, but only has 11,000 miles on him, but those are the miles I remember. The only problems I have had have been easily fixed and certainly not one that would leave anyone stranded anywhere.

jc

Old 09-02-2004, 07:58 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Just get one, you won't regret it at all. As others have said they started out great a few years ago, and just keep getting better. As for reliability, my MINI has about 48,000 miles on it in just over a year and a half and has only been to the dealer for two oil changes. This car has been more reliable that any toyotas or hondas I have had in the past. I drive 140 + miles round trip to work daily in areas w/ no phone reception, or towns for 30 miles, I have not worried or second guessed this car once. When I used to do this drive in my civic, I would often wonder if I was going to make it home. It is also one of the safest cars on the road.

Just get it

Nik

Old 09-02-2004, 08:26 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
2 years(a 2002 model) and 30+k miles on my car. Some small items had to be taken care of in the beginning, but mechanically mine has been as sound as any of the Honda Preludes I drove for years before getting my MINI.
In fact, we have 2 S-es in our garage, cuz my husband had to have one for auto-cross and I wouldn't let him use mine.

Go for it...you won't regret it, I bet.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:45 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
You sound JUST like me 6 months ago. I placed my order, I got my car. I've never understood people LOVING a car. I've had a Camaro, Plymouth Laser, the dreaded SUV, a Civic, and now........the MINI. I am OBSESSED with my car. I love him so very much. :D I LOVE to drive now. Granted, now it's too much fun, but hey!

I only have 3K miles, so I can't vote for reliability, but I CAN vote on the :D factor. Get it.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:43 PM
zfxr
5th Gear
The Mini's aren't perfect- I'll say that. If your looking for absolute perfect fits, no rattles, and flawless accessories- the Mini isn't for you... But then again, driving a toaster or fridge isn't too interesting is it either???
That said, breakdowns are rare on Mini's. I mean getting stranded or being unable to continue a trip. I would venture to say none more than a Honda or Toyota. A co-worker of mine has a 2003 Camry, left him stranded when the fuel pump failed in the spring.

The kinds of issues you'll see on Mini's are wrinkling leather seats, funky idle speeds, hear a few squeaks and rattles, that type of thing (my expierences)... But thats it... All of my features work fine, always starts up (from -5F to +100F). I worried about it when I first bought the car, now I don't worry about a breakdown any-more than others car's I've had...The fits on mine are very good, better than my old C5 vette and my friends VW Golf, on par with a friends Toyota Corolla S...

Quick Reply: R50/53 I want a Mini but is it really reliable??