R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Seth's '03 R53 - Maintenance/Mod Log

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sherman89
I also have an o3 Copper S and did spend 3 months working the car after purchase. The toughest part for me was getting that top bolt back in on the axle carrier on the passenger side. I had removed the axle for replacement and while out did the LCA bushings with poly and all ball joints, steering rod as well as replacing the oil filter housing ( which had a broken plastic drain in the housing which does not have a replacement part----you must replace the entire housing)----it took my forever to get that bolt back in a torqued up-----I almost pushed the car out of the garage and threw a match into it I was so mad and frustrated. I must say my rear Hotchkiss roll bar went in much easier than yours----working by myself I think it took me about 1/2 hour so I guess I was lucky. I went with Koni Yellow adjustable on the front end and an still running stock shocks on the rear. I am now running in D/S in autocross so I must stay with stock springs. If you want to take the dive out of the front end try Swift springs and the Koni Yellows to tighten up the front end. I did the switch to the ATI damper but did not experience the problem you had----mine went in quite easily and you are correct you do need an impact gun. I bought a set of used of pads and rotors from Tank up in NY that had come off one of his track cars with low use and do meet the stock requirement while adding better brake performance. I run 215/45-17 Bridgestone RE-71-R tires which are about as good as it gets for auto cross, very sticky but not good for DD use----they will wear out quickly for highway use. I have to run stock intake and stock motor in order to stay in the stock/street class. I would suggest you give autocross a go, it is cheap racing and a lot of fun and the Mini lends itself to most courses especially if they are tight and slow where power has no advantage. Jump into the Novice class and give it a go, you will be amazed how fast the Mini can get along. I continue to work on the Mini----it never seems to stop but I have thrashed it at a few autocrosses and it has not let me down yet.
Thanks for your thoughts. That top carrier bolt is certainly a pain, but one of my friends could somehow wiggle his arm over the axle to the top bolt so he slipped it in with no problem. Still took him 5-10 minutes to tighten it down since you only have enough space to to move the ratchet one click. My ATI damper went on fine, it's just that I couldn't apply final torque with the torque wrench and I ended up just impacting it on all the way.

Why are you still running stock shocks in the rear? I'd imagine that would feel a little unbalanced with Koni Yellows in the front. I don't really want to "tighten up" the suspension, my first priority is ride comfort and smoothness. If I can find some good coilovers that can give me both that'd be great.

When I get tires I plan on getting some UHP all-seasons. Maybe Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06.

I know I should probably look more into autox but I just wouldn't have time. I work most Saturdays.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used a set of Koni Yellows years ago, and only having them on the front would probably be ok in some situations, since the rear of a front engine and FWD car is so light. I still wouldn't do it.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Well today went from a very good to a very bad day in a couple hours. I filled up the tank this morning and did the tune at Sneed Speed around 3 PM. The car made 188whp pre-tune and 206 post-tune. The supercharger was also probably still heatsoaked so Chris said it probably makes a little more than that, we'll call it 210. That was great and the car sounds and feels awesome to drive now. Then I drove almost 2 hours back to where I'm living and about 30 minutes before I got there I noticed that the clutch was slipping under full throttle near peak torque in 3rd gear. Just before I arrived it was slipping under full throttle at any RPM in 4th gear, so I think my clutch is toasted.

I don't know what to do. I'm not paying a shop $1k+ to do the work plus another ~$500 for parts. I know I have to do it myself and I'm absolutely dreading it. I don't even know how to do the job. I guess I'll order a Valeo SMF kit and baby it until I figure out how to install it and get the time to do it. Really not looking forward to this week.

I also noticed a whirring/rattling noise coming from the passenger axle area. I think I probably damaged one set of joints because I noticed that the inner boot on the axle was pinched when I finished doing my pulleys last week. I just thought something bumped it, but now I think I probably lowered the thing onto the control arm or something when I was moving the motor up and down for the pulleys.

Besides the SMF Valeo kit (clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, release bearing and alignment tool), what else should I be getting?

Old 03-27-2017, 05:55 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I ordered same kit last night for a LSD install starting it next week after I finish X5d alternator, not looking forward to it. If it's like my r56 was, subframe comes off and you'll need something to support the motor and something to support the transmission as it comes out and when it goes back in.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 PM
bansasn
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sevin
Well today went from a very good to a very bad day in a couple hours. I filled up the tank this morning and did the tune at Sneed Speed around 3 PM. The car made 188whp pre-tune and 206 post-tune. The supercharger was also probably still heatsoaked so Chris said it probably makes a little more than that, we'll call it 210. That was great and the car sounds and feels awesome to drive now. Then I drove almost 2 hours back to where I'm living and about 30 minutes before I got there I noticed that the clutch was slipping under full throttle near peak torque in 3rd gear. Just before I arrived it was slipping under full throttle at any RPM in 4th gear, so I think my clutch is toasted.

I don't know what to do. I'm not paying a shop $1k+ to do the work plus another ~$500 for parts. I know I have to do it myself and I'm absolutely dreading it. I don't even know how to do the job. I guess I'll order a Valeo SMF kit and baby it until I figure out how to install it and get the time to do it. Really not looking forward to this week.

I also noticed a whirring/rattling noise coming from the passenger axle area. I think I probably damaged one set of joints because I noticed that the inner boot on the axle was pinched when I finished doing my pulleys last week. I just thought something bumped it, but now I think I probably lowered the thing onto the control arm or something when I was moving the motor up and down for the pulleys.

Besides the SMF Valeo kit (clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, release bearing and alignment tool), what else should I be getting?
The whirring noise could be your wheel bearing hub assemblies. I had the exact same noise on both of my front wheel bearings. My axles are brand new. You should double check by rocking the tires by position your arms 9 & 3 or 12 & 6 o'clock position if there are any play. Of course you have to jack the car up prior.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
I ordered same kit last night for a LSD install starting it next week after I finish X5d alternator, not looking forward to it. If it's like my r56 was, subframe comes off and you'll need something to support the motor and something to support the transmission as it comes out and when it goes back in.
Yeah, I'm just really upset at the moment. Just this afternoon everything was going great and I was just planning on enjoying the car and not working on it for the foreseeable future, but looks like I'm going to have to go in deep again. Maybe I'll get myself an LSD too to at least get some performance out of it.

Originally Posted by bansasn
The whirring noise could be your wheel bearing hub assemblies. I had the exact same noise on both of my front wheel bearings. My axles are brand new. You should double check by rocking the tires by position your arms 9 & 3 or 12 & 6 o'clock position if there are any play. Of course you have to jack the car up prior.
You might be right, but I just noticed the noise after doing the work last week so I figured it must have something to do with what I did.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. That top carrier bolt is certainly a pain, but one of my friends could somehow wiggle his arm over the axle to the top bolt so he slipped it in with no problem. Still took him 5-10 minutes to tighten it down since you only have enough space to to move the ratchet one click. My ATI damper went on fine, it's just that I couldn't apply final torque with the torque wrench and I ended up just impacting it on all the way.

Why are you still running stock shocks in the rear? I'd imagine that would feel a little unbalanced with Koni Yellows in the front. I don't really want to "tighten up" the suspension, my first priority is ride comfort and smoothness. If I can find some good coilovers that can give me both that'd be great.

When I get tires I plan on getting some UHP all-seasons. Maybe Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06.

I know I should probably look more into autox but I just wouldn't have time. I work most Saturdays.
The car is not unbalanced at all with the stock shocks in the rear because of the big Hotchkiss bar keeping the rear stable. The weight and action is in the front of the car the Koni Yellows really help. The car is competitive in D/S so the there is not a balance problem with the car. Good luck finding the coilovers that will fit your needs----they typically drop the car and stiffen the suspension with higher rated springs to do the job that they are typically designed to do. Look for progressive springs instead of linear to help with the comfortable ride.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:48 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
my JCW r53 is terribly unbalanced with a big bar in the back, it will hit the bumpstop and snap oversteer. I just got a set of new bumpstops that will hopefully fix it.

my track car does not have this problem, stock bars, lift oversteer on the track it rotates nicely. I hated a big bar on the track when I hit the FIA curbing it unsettled the car way too much

Old 03-28-2017, 04:13 PM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the rear bar set in the middle and run 38 lbs in the rear and 34 in the front with 71r's. I only see oversteer if I am too slow unwinding the wheel and fail to catch the rear before it gets away from me. It can also happen if I am too rough with the throttle.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:54 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I see it when I hit the bumpstop, the rear end will snap oversteer.

34/34 on both my cars, or the rear slides too much for my taste

1st local autocross in a couple weeks in cary, I ran STX and took 1st in danville against a BRZ, if he had better tires he would have beat me

Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How hard was it to install the bushings into the new belt tensioner? Did you have to press them out and in? I picked up some powerflex bushings, which I'm going to install but wasn't sure if I needed to get them pressed out.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:28 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Chan
How hard was it to install the bushings into the new belt tensioner? Did you have to press them out and in? I picked up some powerflex bushings, which I'm going to install but wasn't sure if I needed to get them pressed out.
It was honestly kind of hard for me. To push the old bushings out I had to cut the lips off with a knife so they could move, but it was very tight. I probably should have pressed them out, but I beat them out with a 9mm socket and a ball peen hammer with the damper in a vise. Not ideal. I bent the damper piston shaft doing that and I had to bend it back. Going back in you should be able to apply enough pressure with your hands.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:58 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
It was honestly kind of hard for me. To push the old bushings out I had to cut the lips off with a knife so they could move, but it was very tight. I probably should have pressed them out, but I beat them out with a 9mm socket and a ball peen hammer with the damper in a vise. Not ideal. I bent the damper piston shaft doing that and I had to bend it back. Going back in you should be able to apply enough pressure with your hands.
Would bending the damper piston have an effect on the tensioner later down the road?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:05 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Chan
Would bending the damper piston have an effect on the tensioner later down the road?
I couldn't tell you. I can't imagine that the damper does much work by itself anyway, it's not like the belt should be bouncing around and causing the tensioner pulley to constantly compress and decompress while the engine is running. I think I bent mine back pretty much straight and the piston travels through its range smoothly. It does have some difficulty starting the decompression stroke from full extension, however. I think that's because of some teeth marks from the vise pliers I used to keep the piston from rotating as I beat on the bushing sleeve. I don't really expect either "problem" causing issues down the line.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
oh ok that's good to hear!

Old 04-03-2017, 06:30 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Welp, just dropped a bunch more money on parts for the clutch job. I hope I got everything. Figured I would do an S/C service, water pump, thermostat, and bypass valve while I have the front end apart as well. I'm getting Permatex Ultra Grey to use as the sealant for the transmission cases, I hope that works okay.

I'm really nervous about this job. I know I will need to be extremely organized as I take things apart and I'm afraid of losing things. I also know it's going to take forever and that also makes me nervous. But I'm not paying someone labor to do all this and my clutch is gradually getting worse, so I must do it.

WayMotorWorks

- quaife lsd
- powerflex upper mount inserts
- powerflex rebuilt lower mount

ECSTuning

- 2 gal. oem coolant (dilute 50/50)
- oem water pump
- oem thermostat w/ gasket
- oem bypass valve (updated part)
- o-rings for water pump
- throwout bearing guide tube
- 4 uro jack pads (oe style)

RockAuto

- valeo smf clutch kit

Amazon

- 8 oz. gm s/c oil
- 2 qt. redline 75w80 transaxle fluid
- permatex ultra grey gasket maker (transmission case)
- permatex anti-seize
- fel-pro rear main seal
- dragway engine support bar

And some stuff still left to install from previous orders:

- Powerflex transmission mount inserts
- helix ssk
- ATI ePod gauge mount (and gauges)
- Oil pan gasket
- IE fixed camber plates
- Power steering return line and hardware
- Hikari Cree H7 high beam/DRL LED kit
- Fuel filter kit

Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I dropped my trans out last night. It took about 5 hours of work to drop it out, there's a lot of stuff that has to come off but I've done most of it before so it went quick. Buy a crank sensor O ring, rear main seal and if you take off the intake get new intake seals. Order differential bearings if you have not already.

I was able to drop mine out without removing the intake, we shall see if I can get it back in that way.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:25 PM
sevin
6th Gear
I dropped my trans out last night. It took about 5 hours of work to drop it out, there's a lot of stuff that has to come off but I've done most of it before so it went quick. Buy a crank sensor O ring, rear main seal and if you take off the intake get new intake seals. Order differential bearings if you have not already.

I was able to drop mine out without removing the intake, we shall see if I can get it back in that way.
Man if I could get it down in 5 hours I'd be a happy camper. Did you use Mod MINI's methods? How the hell did you get to the top trans bolts with the intake in??

Old 04-04-2017, 05:47 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I did, slight altercation there is a bunch of wire and a bracket right on top of the trans, take that crap off first it was a pain but once the bracket is out the wires are loose and you can get around in there at the bolts

I have a lift in the garage, there was lots of up and down to get at stuff that cuts down on the time it takes

Old 04-04-2017, 05:56 PM
sevin
6th Gear
I did, slight altercation there is a bunch of wire and a bracket right on top of the trans, take that crap off first it was a pain but once the bracket is out the wires are loose and you can get around in there at the bolts

I have a lift in the garage, there was lots of up and down to get at stuff that cuts down on the time it takes
And you could still get at the shift linkages too? Wow. I will be using a lift as well, I hope that will speed things up some. All the same, I need to do it right so even though I want to get done as fast as possible, I also want to be sure to do it correctly without breaking or losing anything. I just hope it doesn't take me several days. Don't want to inconvenience people at the shop for too long.

Anybody have input on the sealant I chose for the transmission case? I read on Honda forums and Amazon reviews that several types of Permatex work well for it. I thought Ultra Grey might be the best choice based on those reviews, but I really don't know.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:05 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
the shift linkages were not too bad, I am dreading putting this back together it's gonna suck I know it there was a lot of binding removing the trans, so getting the splines lined up and back together is gonna suck

I ordered permatex 51531 for the trans, hope it's right

Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM
sevin
6th Gear
the shift linkages were not too bad, I am dreading putting this back together it's gonna suck I know it there was a lot of binding removing the trans, so getting the splines lined up and back together is gonna suck

I ordered permatex 51531 for the trans, hope it's right
Oh, that looks a bit different from what I've ordered. Now I'm worried.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:35 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Installed a Powerflex rebuilt lower motor mount and Powerflex upper mount inserts today to try and contain the jerkiness I'm experiencing when I come on or off throttle. The lower mount was pretty easy to install, but the bushings are much larger and stick out some so I had to use a prybar to wiggle the mount around enough to get the bolts through them. The upper mount was a bit more difficult. You need to remove the bracket that connects the upper mount on the strut to the upper mount on the frame rail, and the lines in the way. Then I removed the mount itself and pounded the inserts into place with a hammer. They didn't really sit flush, but no amount of pounding I did could seat them any farther, so I reinstalled them that way. The kit also comes with a pair of flat, circular metal plates that I guess are supposed to sit between the inserts and the bracket but there was no way I was going to squeeze the bracket in over them. I could barely get it around the inserts, and those are much more flexible that metal. Eventually got the bracket wiggled back in place and tightened everything back up.

The effect the new bushings have on the motor is pretty noticeable. It is certainly held a bit tighter as there is less jerk when I let go of the throttle and reapply it, which is great. There is also more vibration in the cabin, and it's a little more than I was expecting. At idle, the steering wheel shakes and the glass on the mirrors and my auxiliary gauges shake as well. It can be felt through the pedals and the seats too. It's much less noticeable at speed, but it is still there. Not sure if I'm going to keep them yet, we will see.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:28 AM
greatfolder
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am kinda in the same boat as you, not exactly... you have done many more upgrades than I have but my clutch went out today around 2pm I noticed a burning smell and thought it was coolant overflowing and heating up. I was wrong. I took it to a shop for an inspection because I am doing a 2,000 mile round trip drive to So Cal and back twice for Coachella/Stagecoach (I'm working as a vendor) and need my car at full function. They quoted me $3,400 for the job. I said hell no I will do it in our truck yard shop.

I ordered the Valeo Clutch conversion set that comes with the fly wheel and the store said they would have it by 3:30. I studied ModMini's video part one to see what all needed to be taken off and showed the mechanic helping me the video as well. I noticed his face was already dripping sweat just seeing all the work this entailed. Never the less we started to disassemble. Around 5:30 I went over to get the clutch set only to find out that they ordered the clutch kit and not the set that comes with the flywheel. So I spent 30 minutes at the commercial desk making sure they order the right set while my mechanic drained coolant and took off the radiator.

I get back to help finally and around 9:30 last night we left at the point of ready to take out the trans. I kinda wish I had the time and extra cash to buy a LSD since we have come this far. The problem is I need to be down in So Cal by Thursday afternoon. As long as the parts come in today I think we can get this all done and I can get my car packed up in time and on the road around 3-4 am on Thursday. Only to then go work 14-16 hour days managing 4 booths for Coachella.

Sounds like fun right?

Old 04-12-2017, 06:52 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by greatfolder
I am kinda in the same boat as you, not exactly... you have done many more upgrades than I have but my clutch went out today around 2pm I noticed a burning smell and thought it was coolant overflowing and heating up. I was wrong. I took it to a shop for an inspection because I am doing a 2,000 mile round trip drive to So Cal and back twice for Coachella/Stagecoach (I'm working as a vendor) and need my car at full function. They quoted me $3,400 for the job. I said hell no I will do it in our truck yard shop.

I ordered the Valeo Clutch conversion set that comes with the fly wheel and the store said they would have it by 3:30. I studied ModMini's video part one to see what all needed to be taken off and showed the mechanic helping me the video as well. I noticed his face was already dripping sweat just seeing all the work this entailed. Never the less we started to disassemble. Around 5:30 I went over to get the clutch set only to find out that they ordered the clutch kit and not the set that comes with the flywheel. So I spent 30 minutes at the commercial desk making sure they order the right set while my mechanic drained coolant and took off the radiator.

I get back to help finally and around 9:30 last night we left at the point of ready to take out the trans. I kinda wish I had the time and extra cash to buy a LSD since we have come this far. The problem is I need to be down in So Cal by Thursday afternoon. As long as the parts come in today I think we can get this all done and I can get my car packed up in time and on the road around 3-4 am on Thursday. Only to then go work 14-16 hour days managing 4 booths for Coachella.

Sounds like fun right?
Did you get stuck on anything as you broke it down to the trans? Good that you have some help, let me know how it goes!

Coachella sounds like fun! What is it you're vending?

Quick Reply: R50/53 Seth's '03 R53 - Maintenance/Mod Log