R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Towing my R53

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:13 AM
shazam01
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing my R53

I plan to tow my 6 sp Mini S on a Dolly (front axle up on dolly.....real axle down) behind my Class c RV.
I need clarification on a few items:
a. should the tranny be in gear....or neutral?
b. I've been told the key should be inserted for free wheeling the steering...but, should the key be turned 'on' then released/and left engaged.....or, should the key be left 'on'?
c. just to confirm, is the parking brakes are on the front axle....and should the parking brakes be engaged during towing?
Emmett
aka shazam01

Old 12-30-2015, 07:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Hello,

Lost of info here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...your-mini.html

and Here

https://www.google.com/search?q=towi...anmotoring.com

Prefer that if you tow its all four wheels on a trailer. Best and least chance of wear.
a. neutral if that strap are holding it down on the wheels or the tow hooks.
b. Thought that was for front wheels down method ?
c. Parking brake is on the rear brakes ( rear axle) .

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Wertles
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you have never used a tow dolly before.

1. Drive car up on tow dolly. Make sure it is centered on the dolly.
2. Shut off car, leave in first gear, remove key and lock the steering.
3. DO NOT SET PARKING BRAKE!
4. Strap front wheels tight.
5. Run the safety chains through something solid underneath.
6. DO NOT SET PARKING BRAKE!

The front wheels should be left in gear while towing just as a third safety measure if the wheel straps and safety chains fail. I'm not sure if those failed that the car being in drive would do anything but the front wheels are not supposed to move once strapped so first gear it is for me.

My tow dolly has a pivoting platform that the front wheels sit on. There is no need to have the steering unlocked. I have never used one that doesn't have a pivoting platform so if you have a fixed platform, you may need to leave the steering unlocked. Someone else may chime in.

The parking brake goes to the rear wheels. Setting the parking brake for anything other than making sure the car doesn't move while strapping the tires and placing the safety chains will result in at least flat spotted tires, possibly much worse damage.

Last edited by Wertles; 12-30-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
My suggestion...pay the extra $20-100 and get the 4 wheel tow trailer...have towed with dollies before, and they work, I admit that, they are less than ideal on a longer trip.
Biggest issues IMO is you CANNOT BACK UP... So pull through parking only. With a standard trailer. You CAN...or even tighten a turn a bit. With a dolly, it goes where it wants too...so you will have too unhook it...then rehook, restrap...
Gone x-counrty 2x...extra $ on the flatbet is better...car dits higher...less dirt, grime and debris...
Tip...cover the windscreen, and maybe even plasti-dip the hood...unless the tow rv has GREAT mudflaps, the car gets sandblasted....

Old 12-30-2015, 09:09 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
My suggestion...pay the extra $20-100 and get the 4 wheel tow trailer...have towed with dollies before, and they work, I admit that, they are less than ideal on a longer trip.
Biggest issues IMO is you CANNOT BACK UP... So pull through parking only. With a standard trailer. You CAN...or even tighten a turn a bit. With a dolly, it goes where it wants too...so you will have too unhook it...then rehook, restrap...
Gone x-counrty 2x...extra $ on the flatbet is better...car dits higher...less dirt, grime and debris...
Tip...cover the windscreen, and maybe even plasti-dip the hood...unless the tow rv has GREAT mudflaps, the car gets sandblasted....
+1 for getting all 4 wheels off the ground. Even though the car isn't driving, having the car still in contact on the road still puts wear on your MINI. Personally, I've always preferred to have the car completely off the ground.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-30-2015, 09:21 AM
shazam01
Neutral
Towing my R53

In the attached video:
at about the 6min,20 sec mark, the video shows the steering wheel turning as the tow vehicle maneuvers back & forth. Doesn't that show that the towed vehicle turns....and that the steering wheel should not be locked?
Emmett

Old 12-30-2015, 03:15 PM
kermitdafrog
Neutral
Tow Dolly

Shazam,

quote:
"at about the 6min,20 sec mark, the video shows the steering wheel turning as the tow vehicle maneuvers back & forth. Doesn't that show that the towed vehicle turns....and that the steering wheel should not be locked?
Emmett"

At the 7:45 mark she mentions that the "articulating floor pan" was designed out of this model and specifically notes that the steering be unlocked. Different design, different procedure.

Kermit

Old 12-30-2015, 06:58 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've pulled my Mini X-country on a two-wheel dolly as well. Sure, flatbeds are better (and have brakes) in some ways, but they're also a much heavier trailer. So depending on what anyone is pulling with, the dolly is lighter: better handling, better gas mileage, easier acceleration and pulling up hills, etc. The Mini's rear wheels/tires rolling down the road is a very small issue. You'll quickly get used to not being able to back up, but you can back up just a little bit when you need to.

Last edited by Filmy; 12-30-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Wertles
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmy
I've pulled my Mini X-country on a two-wheel dolly as well. Sure, flatbeds are better (and have brakes) in some ways, but they're also much heavier a trailer. So depending on what anyone is pulling with, the dolly is lighter: better handling, better gas mileage, easier acceleration and pulling up hills, etc. The Mini's rear wheels/tires rolling down the road is a very small issue. You'll quickly get used to not being able to back up, but you can back up just a little bit when you need to.
I have pulled my car on a full trailer and a tow dolly. For a long haul, I prefer the dolly. As stated above, it's much lighter and my class C RV pulls it much easier than the trailer. My tow dolly has the articulating floor pan so I don't need to unlock my steering and it also has electric brakes like a full size trailer so my RV isn't braking both vehicles. It definitely pays to upgrade the dolly. With a few seconds of planning, I haven't been in a situation yet needing to back up.

I picked my dolly up off of craigslist for $800 and it was in new condition.