R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Anyone prefer the non-supercharged MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Greezyman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone prefer the non-supercharged MINI?

I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but when I searched I didn't find any obvious threads. I'm asking because I have both a supercharged and non-supercharged first generation Miatas, and I think I actually prefer the non-supercharged car. I'm not even sure why, since the supercharged car is not only faster, but a much nicer, cleaner and lower mileage car. I think the n/a car is a bit more responsive though, and seems a little more connected to me. Also, the supercharged car doesn't feel as nice at low speeds, just cruising around town, it tends to surge just a tiny bit.

Anyway, I was thinking that while I like to go as fast as anyone else, if I get a MINI I might go with the n/a version. I've driven both, and I found the n/a to have enough power to be fun. How's the overall driving experience between the two? Opinions?

Old 09-17-2015, 04:36 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
The mini is all about the twisties, and for the most part, both the "justa" Cooper and the S will take most of those twisties at the same speed. But Entering and exiting said twisties is a night and day difference. A JCW S can have 80 more WHP than a justa. If you find that you've driven both, and do not feel the longing for the extra umph then the justa may suit you well.

I recently drove a second Gen Justa, and it really felt like it was half of my JCW - as if the gearing was wrong, or if I started in second/third.

The S's supercharger whine over 3500RPM is intoxicating, and I live to hear it every day, along with the pop and burble.

Ditch the OEM wheels - Lightweight wheels are a must and can make both more responsive.

The justa is also less "tuned" or "high strung" leading it to possibly lasting longer. It's not uncommon to hear of a justa pushing 300,000 kms. I've only seen one S do that (and I just saw it today in an ad)

Old 09-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Greezyman
1st Gear
366 views and only one person has any comments? I'd think there'd be quite a few people who've experienced both n/a and supercharged and would have an opinion to share. Upsides and downsides of both, for example. Does the S suffer from any driveability issues such as lag or bogging or erratic idle, etc? Or is it really that no one at all prefers the n/a MINI?

Last edited by Greezyman; 09-17-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:04 PM
jacobj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They don't make n/a MINI's anymore, perhaps that answers your question? The base models now are 3cyl turbos.

Here's my thoughts, pertaining to the R56, not the R50/R53:
However we had a base R56 that I got to drive pretty frequently, and while it is certainly a fun car with plenty of agility, when I was shopping for MINIs, no way in hell would I have purchased an n/a model. The turbo cars just have more of that playfulness, I suppose.

I've never driven the R50/R53 though, but I guess my input is probably better than none.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:29 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
my only comparison is the r53 and the r56 justa. the GF owns the justa, I have the r53. I wanted the R53 for the whine. (why I don't have a 56) I also come from a world of motorcycles and I require acceleration. while the r56 justa isn't terrible up to highway speeds, the r53 has just that much more. so I would imagine the r50 would be slightly worse. considering most of the roads around me are 50 mph+ its hard to justify the N/A motor especially since the passing zones are usually on the smaller side.

there is also the point its better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. ive seen r50s and 56 Justas hold the same thru the corner and some better on the exit since they don't have as much torque to roast tires. they can be fun if you have the manual. and the r56 justa can also get like 40+ MPG. the r50 has either a grenade for an auto tranny, or a wet piece of tissue paper for a manual. but if you were to get an r50 and swap the 6spd in it. that would be a proper dead reliable machine. also don't get down that an r50 cant have power. there is a guy across the pond who has a built head, cammed out. and I think he has 150 whp and revs to 9 or 10k. real impressive of a machine. the r53 supercharger is setup very well, feels great everywhere in the rpm band except at 2600-2700 where is hesitates a tad. but yes 3400 is max torque and holds it to like 4800 or even more.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:42 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greezyman
366 views and only one person has any comments? I'd think there'd be quite a few people who've experienced both n/a and supercharged and would have an opinion to share. Upsides and downsides of both, for example. Does the S suffer from any driveability issues such as lag or bogging or erratic idle, etc? Or is it really that no one at all prefers the n/a MINI?
My first MINI was an S model. I currently own a justa.

My reason for going with the justa this time is because the tires cost around $75 each. If you get an S model...it means run flats and no spare tire. The run flats are very expen$ive to replace and a lot of shops don't want to deal with them.

If you're looking to buy a MINI the best option is to buy a new or a used one with a warranty or as a MINI NEXT CPO.

If you're going to buy a used MINI avoid the ones I listed below, unless you've got a mechanic at your disposal or you plan on doing your own maintenance:

2007 – 2010 R56 S model (N14 engine)
2009 – 2010 R57 S model convertible (N14 engine)
2008 – 2010 R55S Clubman S (N14 engine)
Also - the JCW used the N14 thru 2012

Old 09-18-2015, 04:57 PM
jamez
5th Gear
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on the "need" for run flats. No R53 owner I know rides on them, but you may also want to get higher performance rubber to enjoy those curves even more - so your argument of more expensive tires is still valid

Old 09-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Greezyman
1st Gear
I've never considered run flats, mostly because I never, ever, hear them mentioned when the subject of high performance tires comes up. It seems some people will ditch a brand new set if their car comes with them, and replace them with something more performance oriented. You can run non-runflats on the same wheels, correct? There's nothing special about run flat wheels, or is there? Is there a space for a spare in the R53?

Old 09-18-2015, 05:11 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jamez
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on the "need" for run flats. No R53 owner I know rides on them, but you may also want to get higher performance rubber to enjoy those curves even more - so your argument of more expensive tires is still valid
I'm simply giving "Greezyman" my view on run flats and the fact that the S model doesn't have a spare. I do realize a lot of owners ditch their run flats because of the bad ride and obviously the co$t.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:17 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Greezyman
I've never considered run flats, mostly because I never, ever, hear them mentioned when the subject of high performance tires comes up. It seems some people will ditch a brand new set if their car comes with them, and replace them with something more performance oriented. You can run non-runflats on the same wheels, correct? There's nothing special about run flat wheels, or is there? Is there a space for a spare in the R53?

The wheels are not unique to run flats. They can be used with any rubber of the proper size

No space for a spare in an S. The battery was relocated to the boot for better weight distribution.

For street performance summers, Continental extreme contact DW's (not DWS's) and Michelin Pilot Super Sports are both highly recommended on sites like this.
I've just taken off my beloved DW's (would have put another set on if I could source them this time of year) and am 100kms in on a new set of Super Sports.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Greezyman
1st Gear
The wheels are not unique to run flats. They can be used with any rubber of the proper size

No space for a spare in an S. The battery was relocated to the boot for better weight distribution.

For street performance summers, Continental extreme contact DW's (not DWS's) and Michelin Pilot Super Sports are both highly recommended on sites like this.
I've just taken off my beloved DW's (would have put another set on if I could source them this time of year) and am 100kms in on a new set of Super Sports.
Getting a little off topic, but I hear good things about both those tires. I put BFG Comp-2s on my Honda Fit, which are similar in performance, and cost only $75 for 15x195s. Autocrossed with them, and while probably not as fast as something like Rivals, they were pretty sweet.

I used to do track days, and one of the instructors had a MINI with something like 560 treadwear tires on it, because it was his daily and he wanted the tires to last. Could always tell when he was on track, because his was the only car whose tires screamed through every turn. Even with those tires, he was really fast, he was a really good driver.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:24 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
+1

Proper size is the key.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My buddy liked his justa, of course he liked his s better. The new justa is awesome to drive, awful to look at though, as least from the outside.