R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Need help locating rental dealer that has a MINI

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 08:50 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Need help locating rental dealer that has a MINI

I'm going to be attending that 'Longest MINI Dragon' event that is taking place on July 24th in Vancouver, BC-Canada. I'm about 4hrs away from there in Kelowna, BC.
All is good thus far. Except, on the 25th of July, it's my Mom's b-day. So.....being that she is a car enthusiast and lover of the MINIs/Minis, I was hoping to locate a MINI for her to drive out there in with me. I'm going to take my MCS with some friends and was thinking of renting a MINI for her. She had one way back when in the '70s, and she's wanting to drive one for herself since I got mine a couple years ago. But, here's the dilema. I've contacted EVERY local car rental dealer in Kelowna, but none have a MINI. Would anyone know of a franchise of car rental place that carries MINIs? Is there a certain one that carries them? Has anyone in Canada rented one, and if so, where from? I've heard of members in the States renting them. Could you share where from? Do you thik a rental compant would ship/drive a car 4hrs away or so for someone to rent? I was hoping that this would be a great surprise for her not only to have her own MINI for a couple days, but also be able to take part in her own MINI, in that world record breaking event, plus additional birthday celebrations. Thanx for any help.
Cheers,

Old 06-22-2004, 10:14 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver MINI owners ... any input?

Old 06-22-2004, 11:28 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
MadMan - back in the spring of '02, I rented a Cooper in Los Angeles from Budget Rental of Beverly Hills (Marina del Rey location). I don't know if they are also in Canada, though. Hope that helps, somehow. It's so cool that you want to do this for your Mom! Sweet MadMan!

Clo/Wanda

Old 06-23-2004, 06:00 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Thanx Clo. I've checked with different Budget locations here in Kelowna, but no go. Maybe only certain locations carry them. Thought maybe all locations of a car rental company carry certain vehicle makes and models.
I'll have to start calling around Vancouver maybe. I was hoping to locate one here in Kelowna so as to have my Mom drive out there with one, instead of packing everyone into my MCS and driving through the Rockies with everyone crunched into my car. Not only that, but I'm sure she'd like driving out there as well throught the mountainy twisties, instead of renting one when we get there, driving it around for a bit, and then giving it up before we leave back home. She has an issue with driving stick though. Otherwise she'd be able to drive my MCS. So I'll have to find a CVT on top of it. Ahhhhhh. Why can't things go as planned and hoped for?
Cheers,

Old 06-23-2004, 11:38 AM
sjolly
3rd Gear
I think I read somewhere that Hertz in Washington State rented the mini, I what to say in the Seattle area?

Old 06-23-2004, 11:43 AM
sbgobig
4th Gear
Enterprise rent-a-car carries them here in Calif.

1-800-rent-a-car

Old 06-24-2004, 05:13 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Well, I started calling a few rental dealers out in Vancouver, but then gave up after I came up with nothing. Think I'll just ask my MINI dealer if they'll lend me one for the day of the festivities.
What a sad day when you can't even find a MINI to rent.
Guess it was the thought that counts. Oh well.
Cheers,

Old 06-24-2004, 02:26 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
If you lived in the UK you could get one no probs....Avis has them on their "Prestige Rentals" Line......tough to fly one out to BC though............how about you do the right thing and let your mom drive yours and you either follow on something else or go with a Mini friend....THAT would be a gesture.....another idea......beat the dealer out of an extended test drive.......

Old 06-24-2004, 04:17 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
I offered my car to her to drive a few times already, but she's not the best with driving stick, and she doesn't really have the determination, want or need to learn. I've tried soooo many times to teach her, but nada. When I first got my MCS, the CVT wasn't out yet, and she was saying that it was too bad that there wasn't an automatic. And now that there is, I'd like to get her in one, at least for a couple days or so. It's her big 50 b-day coming up.
I'm going to ask my MINI dealer if the would mind lending me out one of their loaner/courtesy MINIs for a day. Even if I have to pay the km's that she puts on it, I don't care. No harm in at least asking.
Cheers,