R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Airbags deployed, now no start. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
bkcbuilder
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbags deployed, now no start. HELP

On the highway this morning I got hemmed in by semi trucks and then the rear bumper came off the truck in front of me with nowhere to go. It hit dead center running parallel to the car and I thumped it. Both front airbags deployed and I ended up on the side of the road. The only damage was a bent air conditioner condenser and a bent radiator. The A/C pucked but the radiator held. Should have been drivable, but it will not crank, just dead. I have lights and everything works just no cranking. I had her towed home and will replace what I need to but might need reset to get her back mobile????
Liability only on this one so the insurance route is non-existent.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:55 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bkcbuilder
On the highway this morning I got hemmed in by semi trucks and then the rear bumper came off the truck in front of me with nowhere to go. It hit dead center running parallel to the car and I thumped it. Both front airbags deployed and I ended up on the side of the road. The only damage was a bent air conditioner condenser and a bent radiator. The A/C pucked but the radiator held. Should have been drivable, but it will not crank, just dead. I have lights and everything works just no cranking. I had her towed home and will replace what I need to but might need reset to get her back mobile????
Liability only on this one so the insurance route is non-existent.
Not sure where the starter motor sits on MINI's bell housing... Is it right behind bumper, or next to the firewall?

Obviously check fuses.

I was going to say check for a fuel cutoff inertia switch.... Not sure that would prevent engine cranking, but worth checking.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I should be in the left hand corner of the engine bay/cowl vent

Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I remember hearing (reading) about a battery cut out that happens if the bags deploy.. (R50/53 cars only)

This is a video on it.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
What year is your MINI? After sept 2002(2003 model) the fuel cut off/inhibitor switch is now inside the airbag control unit inside the car and not under the bonnet as shown in the above pics...(only 2003 models onwards)
The airbag control unit is under the carpet between the gear lever housing console and the handbrake console. It is not easy to get to, I believe you would have to remove the seats and side sill trims and then the seatbelt mounting brackets,and then lift up the rear section of the carpet.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by danjreed
I remember hearing (reading) about a battery cut out that happens if the bags deploy.. (R50/53 cars only)

http://youtu.be/c26Jq1O1m0M

This is a video on it.
Dan could be right also.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 PM
baznight
3rd Gear
Dan is correct, any bag deployment with cause the BST(battery safety terminal) to pop. It will need to be replaced but with alittle work you can get the cable pressed back together enough to start the vehicle but you wont be able to clear the fault till its replaced.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
bkcbuilder
1st Gear
Weellllll, not it's a 2004 S, battery connection still there, lights and all electrical still work. Checked starter connections and they are still intact. No magical reset that happens when the air bags blow?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Well you can check the fuel cut off/inhibitor switch then.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Ok..

Jump the starter. (Please, make sure the car is NOT IN GEAR).

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...diag/index.htm

Yes, I know that's a site for a VW... But the starter is the same design.. Try it.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Here's a couple guesses, nothing more than a shot in the dark:

Are all ground straps still intact after accident?

Also, could try removing negative battery terminal for a short while, or do computer reset as per instructions found in the stickies here, I think the thread is called everything you wanted to know about your mini, or maybe it's the ultimate newbie guide...

Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Ok..

Jump the starter. (Please, make sure the car is NOT IN GEAR).

Try it.
^^. I was thinking that too.

Also any way you can pull any codes?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:57 PM
baznight
3rd Gear
I'm telling ya its the bst cable. When an accident occurs it cuts power to fuel and start. All lights and body functions like locks and window still work. Its a pyrotechnic device that fires off separating the circuit.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 PM
baznight
3rd Gear
Body shops will open them up and reconnect them to move the car around all the time while they work on them. Then send them out to be replaced. watch the video posted above and try what they say and you will have your answer.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Turbo R53
2nd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow, a lot of useless and irrelevant info posted in this thread. Whatever happened to only posting if you actually know the answer? Braminator you need to refrain.

danjreed's first post as well as baznight's posts are correct. BMW's and MINI's use a BST, cuts the fuel pump and the starter.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Turbo R53
Wow, a lot of useless and irrelevant info posted in this thread. Whatever happened to only posting if you actually know the answer? Braminator you need to refrain.

danjreed's first post as well as baznight's posts are correct. BMW's and MINI's use a BST, cuts the fuel pump and the starter.
Now thats funny. What happened to people giving possible answers to solutions. Not all things are as simple as this or that. We are all here to help.
Which you did not.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember this forum is to give a person multiple answers..right or wrong.. Im sure you don't know all the answers either...lol..

Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Turbo R53
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Now thats funny. What happened to people giving possible answers to solutions. Not all things are as simple as this or that. We are all here to help.
Which you did not.
I think I helped more than you...I confirmed the posts that gave the correct answer, because I knew what the correct answer was. I don't think people come on here looking for "possible answers to solutions"...they come on here to get the correct answer before spending any money or taking anything apart.

What is the sense in posting if you can't provide the correct answer?...that just makes the OP chase his tail and a bunch of other incorrect suggestions.

Maybe that's how this particular forum works...instead of just providing the correct answer everyone just says try this, that, and the other thing...I don't know, doesn't make sense to me.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Turbo R53
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
Remember this forum is to give a person multiple answers..right or wrong.. Im sure you don't know all the answers either...lol..
Haha I just said something similar in my post...I just don't get how you're going to post info that is wrong, that makes no sense to me.

You're right, I don't know all the answers(never stated that I did)...but I will never post info that I know isn't correct.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Well Turbo you are the man so I hope you are correct.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Bkc- If the BST turns out to be the problem the whole cable from front to back needs to be replaced. I beleive it to be only available thru the dealer. Here is one place to get it http://parts.miniofsouthatlanta.com/...126942507.html
I have also attached the instructions on how to remove and reinstall.

Good luck

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
bst.r&r.pdf (138.5 KB, 100 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha I just said something similar in my post...I just don't get how you're going to post info that is wrong, that makes no sense to me.

You're right, I don't know all the answers(never stated that I did)...but I will never post info that I know isn't correct.
I totally understand what your saying.. I just think some give answers to what they might think it could be... We are all learning things together on here.. that's how we learn..lol..

Old 08-09-2013, 11:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
There should be a rebuild kit....
Many folks were using the BMW kit, but I recall mini came out with its own...
BUT....
Airbag deployment usually totals a gen1 car....
So before you spend the $$, check for more damage.... You might be able to get airbags kinda cheap from somebody making a track car/parting out a r50 with a blown CVT....

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 AM
bkcbuilder
1st Gear
Thanks all that responded! Yes it is the BST. I sourced all needed parts from NAM vendors. A mix of factory and aftermarket pieces (and ebay LKQ airbags) for a total of $1650.....just did not pull the trigger on the BST cable yet. Classic Mini is an hour away, no longer a sponsor here but the parts guy is still a Mini guy and may match price at $300.(trying to spread the love around, they have been a sponsor and are great to have close) They really need to make a repair kit. I searched for a BMW one but came up empty. Not sure I would skimp on this anyway. The life it saves may NOT be my mine and that's a concern to me.
6 years ago I built a Spec Miata and could not give away the drivers airbag, today I'm into $250 for the pair which I thought was cheap after seeing the options.

Does anyone know if an OBD II reader will clear the airbag and BST codes?

Again Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Airbags deployed, now no start. HELP