R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
intake manifold?

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone has tryed the mini maddness high flow intake manifold

http://www.madnessmotorworks.com/mad...-manifold.aspx

i should be getting a bonus check soon, and this seems like a possible good purchase

i think it would give the SC a bit more whine, and improve nearly everything across the power band......

any thoughts?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Frozone
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save the $400 and put it towards a header, cam, tune. In that order.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
And, IMO, steer clear of that company....
They do not seem to be the company they once were...
A few threads on folks that have had issues....items not matching the pic or descriptions...and
selling headers and exausts found on e-bay for 4x the amount.... claiming better quality...to have them fail a short time.....
Given the opportunity to respond....they simply don't....

Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Frozone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
And, IMO, steer clear of that company....
They do not seem to be the company they once were...
A few threads on folks that have had issues....items not matching the pic or descriptions...and
selling headers and exausts found on e-bay for 4x the amount.... claiming better quality...to have them fail a short time.....
Given the opportunity to respond....they simply don't....
+1

And that's to say nothing of your performance goals. Make sure there aren't any tire or suspension bits you should address that could easily out-perform intake/exhast mods...

Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
im not sure if i was going to do the route of a cam quite yet, head work is very expensive, although super beneficial

good to know about that, i guess ill stay away from it, i know way does somewhat of the samething

but i was going to get that along with the 16% reduc and 440cc injectors

Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Frozone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
im not sure if i was going to do the route of a cam quite yet, head work is very expensive, although super beneficial

good to know about that, i guess ill stay away from it, i know way does somewhat of the samething

but i was going to get that along with the 16% reduc and 440cc injectors
Don't you have a JCW? a pulley and injectors would be marginal improvement at best.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Frozone
+1

And that's to say nothing of your performance goals. Make sure there aren't any tire or suspension bits you should address that could easily out-perform intake/exhast mods...
i should have a front strut bar soon, rear sway to follow that, i dont want to make it too too stiff, the roads around me are as bumpy as a pre teens face

Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Frozone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
i should have a front strut bar soon, rear sway to follow that, i dont want to make it too too stiff, the roads around me are as bumpy as a pre teens face
Why the front strut brace? Why not just a rear sway bar? That's another $200-300 or so that could be used for higher-impacting modifications.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
before you get that manifold you should check out our complete set:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ported-...manifolds.html

It's not huge gains but does make some power as many of my customers noticed their throttle response improved after installing them.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
As for my JCW, im not sure how much my car is JCW, i know i didnt have the exhaust cause i replaced it to magnaflow, but i dont know if i have the pulleys and the injectors, if anyone know what the JCW pully looks like, i can take a look, but its definently stock. my car is lower than other S's so i figure i have the JCW suspension and i assume the brakes

i want the front strut brace for the tower defenders, rear sway is definently in the mix

and way, i will have to call you guys about that, im glad you guys chimmed in =)

since madness isnt a good vendor from what i hear, i was also looking at their water to air IC, i guess that would be junk too.... so that really only leave the GP IC and the DFIC

Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
The JCW (engine package) that most folks call a JCW has a extra numbered data plate on the engine...things in 2005 were a bit murkey cause a few cars got the same dealer installed kit at the factory....
A 2005 got a JCW airbox, exhaust, small pulley on the same coated sc as all 2005+ cars, an exhaust, a mildly CNC ported head.....and jcw380 injectors....identified by looking for a bit of blue on them....this package was called the jcw210 for it made 210 HP....the older no-airbox, no injector kits got 200 HP....
All other items were a-la-cart....brakes, suspension, etc....on ANY CAR.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
im not sure if i had the air box, it didnt look like it had a flapper, but the previous owner could have taken it off.

where would the number be on the engine?

and there is no blue, and the VIN didnt show anything, but the badges are definently not done by a person

but it feels faster than a normal S before i put the exhaust and intake on

Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Frozone
2nd Gear
This is what the engine bay will look like with a JCW tuning (engine) kit installed - if you've changed out the intake then of course that part will be different.

I'd definitely recommend checking your brakes, too. The R53 JCW 1-pot brakes are painted red with the JCW logo. They're the same as the stock R56 brakes. If the brakes aren't red, you have standard R53 brakes. Depending on your goals, all the power in the world is useless if the brakes aren't up to the task.

All that to say this - there are many, many more important things to upgrade/modify before things like ported manifolds, or even intercoolers. You have to dig deep to find dyno charts that show a huge benefit having those mods, and dig even deeper to find lap times that are any better. For example, if your car could truly benefit from a GP intercooler, you would have already upgraded your brakes a long, long time ago.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
ill have to clean off the calipers and check, but my engine looks like that, but i dont have the JCW emblems. i also dont have door sills, so im not sure if the previous owner had taken them off

the IC diverter didnt have it either, but i have replaced that with the alta,

i dont do track days yet, but thats not to say i wont, its more of a street fighter, big brakes are in my list of things to do, i need to get my winter rims in 17's so i wont have to worry about that

unless i just have an aftermarket tune, cause my buddy's golf R has ~350 hp and he doesnt pull away from me much