R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Is it possible to put this JCW grill on an r53?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 AM
tmscaf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to put this JCW grill on an r53?

I'm interested in putting this type of front end on my r53. The only thing is, it's from an 07+. I assume that if I purchase the front bumper clip, and then the corresponding jcw grill, it should work. But is there more to it than that? I never assume that such projects can be that easy =p

Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 AM
ViperNL
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get these: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...rsion_kit.html

or these: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...rsion_kit.html

I doubt it'll be easy to put an R56 grill on an R53, but you might be able to get it done

Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Unless you want to do fiberglass/plastic work, and repaint, I would strongly the similar looking ones suggested above....the part might be pretty cheap.. coming off a rear ended totaled out car, but the TIME and painting to make it work would IMO cost you more....remember...the gen1 and gen2 cars are NOT the same size...and the trim will line up different, and the hood is taller......so might be MUCH more custom work than you think.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
tmscaf
1st Gear
Thank you both for the responses. Yeah, the R56 stuff does look nice, but I don't think I want to jump through that many hoops to get the OEM stuff to fit. I would like to go all OEM but I think if I want to achieve that look, or something similar, it isn't going to happen unless I go aftermarket :/

Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...rsion_kit.html

This is the one I have and it fits perfect!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tmscaf
I'm interested in putting this type of front end on my r53. The only thing is, it's from an 07+. I assume that if I purchase the front bumper clip, and then the corresponding jcw grill, it should work. But is there more to it than that? I never assume that such projects can be that easy =p
no, dont think that one will go. see how it dips "into" the front bumper? where on our cars, it stops flat "with" the bumper.

they sell a R56 "conversion" kit, where you replace the Entire bumper to go along with the grill, but thats going to cost you!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That and if I remember correctly the Grill ls not attached to the hood on the R56 so you would need to modify mounts and brackets.

Go with the one from Out motoring. I have the real-deal JCW one on my NON AERO car and it was a pain in the *** to fit the lower grill.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 AM
BJDavis
1st Gear
TMSCAF - I installed an "Out Motoring" style grill that I purchased from eBay (before Out Motoring offered them) and it worked out well for my 2004 MCS. One thing that I would suggest is that you paint the center support "black" before you install the replacement grill. That way you won't have the body colored support showing through your new black grill. You can see what I'm talking about if you look at the images on the Out Motoring web site page.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Bandido
Neutral
Originally Posted by BJDavis
TMSCAF - I installed an "Out Motoring" style grill that I purchased from eBay (before Out Motoring offered them) and it worked out well for my 2004 MCS. One thing that I would suggest is that you paint the center support "black" before you install the replacement grill. That way you won't have the body colored support showing through your new black grill. You can see what I'm talking about if you look at the images on the Out Motoring web site page.
Did you have to modify the bumper to fit the mid grill?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
nicefighter80
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bandido
I have these grills from outmotoring, and there is no cutting or modifying involved. Just remover the OEM grills and replace with the new ones.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Bandido
Neutral
Sounds good. I've seen a bunch on eBay and amazon, but all mentioned that modification is needed. I will have to try those then. Thank you.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
nicefighter80
1st Gear
Sounds good. I've seen a bunch on eBay and amazon, but all mentioned that modification is needed. I will have to try those then. Thank you.
I believe there is an "aero grill" that has to be modified. But these ones from outmotoring and moss mini are no easy install. I have the moss mini one, took about an hour to install. Here is a pic of the grills on my R53

Name:  IMG_1275.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  106.8 KB

Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Bandido
Neutral
Do you have a link of where you got yours from? Did you take pics from your installing process? Thanks again

Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
nicefighter80
1st Gear
I don't have pictures of the process, but they come with instructions. I followed the instructions and got it all done. http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/ne...-black/104-020

Old 03-26-2013, 04:39 AM
BJDavis
1st Gear
Bandido - The ones that I purchased off eBay did NOT require any modification to the body.

The worse part of the install, strangely enough, was removing the OEM "Frog Lights". The nuts & bolts that go through the mounting brackets were frozen and no amount of fiddling could free them up. They finally just broke loose from the interior of the chrome lamp shell. I had to buy replacement lamps (non-OEM).

I remember paying about the same price as Moss is currently offering theirs. I'm guessing that they're the same? When I bought mine from an eBay seller, none of the "Name" parts sellers were offering anything but the Aero Kit that DID require modifications.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Bandido
Neutral
Thank you both for the advice. I really appreciate it. I will have to post pics once I make the upgrade.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
nicefighter80
1st Gear
Just a for warning, the nuts on the upper grill can be a pain to get off, a flat head screwdriver helps

Last edited by nicefighter80; 03-28-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 PM
jeff323
2nd Gear
I actually have one of the outmotoring grills being shipped to me as we speak. Question for you folks with the factory driving lights though. Did you have to cut the grill at all to get the brackets through the new grill? By the looks of it, they wouldn't fit through the honeycomb without some cutting.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM
jeff323
2nd Gear
I actually have one of the outmotoring grills being shipped to me as we speak. Question for you folks with the factory driving lights though. Did you have to cut the grill at all to get the brackets through the new grill? By the looks of it, they wouldn't fit through the honeycomb without some cutting.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 PM
LethalR53
3rd Gear
I'm ordering this one on monday : http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...rsion_kit.html

Probably in matte just to break up the gloss black rally stripes. They call this the "JCW" and the other one the "Aero" . I don't want to be cutting and drilling for the lower grille on the "Aero" package so the "JCW" is an easier install. And looks good too.

Question: I'm guessing that if I decide I like the glossy look sometime in the future, I can just spray PlastiDip glossifier on it?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 PM
jeff323
2nd Gear
So I got my grill from Outmotoring today but I am not seeing a way to install it without completely removing my driving lights which I REALLY don't want to do since the brackets are riveted in and getting the wiring out would be a royal PITA! Is there a way to do this without removing the lights and I'm just not seeing it?

Oh and the little plastic 10mm plastic nuts that MINI decided to use to hold the grills on is the stupidest design!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
JCW grille

This looks great - I note that they're now offered in both matte and glossy finish - which is yours?
Thanks - new owner here of an 04 R53 JCW - exciting -

Originally Posted by nicefighter80
I believe there is an "aero grill" that has to be modified. But these ones from outmotoring and moss mini are no easy install. I have the moss mini one, took about an hour to install. Here is a pic of the grills on my R53

Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
Those grilles are now offered in matte and shiny finish - which is yours? It looks great -

Steve
New JCW owner

Originally Posted by nicefighter80

Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 PM
nicefighter80
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ninja turtle
Those grilles are now offered in matte and shiny finish - which is yours? It looks great -

Steve
New JCW owner
Hello Steve and welcome to the R53 world. My grills are the gloss versions.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
Thanks - I thought so - I was leaning matte but not so sure now
What a fun car - I've been a sport bike and naked bike motorcyclist for years - this
is new to me - hit a deer last year and about got killed -4 wheels seems safer

Quick Reply: R50/53 Is it possible to put this JCW grill on an r53?