R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Tragedies really do come in threes: a disheartening MINI epi

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:22 PM
spoonleg
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEWARE: Sob story ensues.

So About a month ago, I'm motoring around town on a beautiful afternoon, sunroof open and wind a-blowin, when... BAM! I'm hit from behind by a young girl in a beat up old Honda. Needless to say, I'm pissed. However my anger magnified exponentially when the driver got out of her car cursing, saying "I just got this *expletive* car; it's brand *expletive* new!" I had to do a double take between her POS 1988 Honda and my 2004 MINI. Not only that, but this idiot who rear-ended ME has the nerve to cuss me out when she has no insurance?! To top it all she refused to remain on the scene for a police officer to take a report of the incident, and decided she was just going to take off. I have the feeling she would have landed in jail if she had stuck around, thus the reason for her haste. Mind you all, I've had this car for a total of about 4 months at this point. I was heartbroken.

So my precious MINI gets put in the shop- luckily the damage wasn't terrible (although we were both going well over 30mph), and the repair work is all in the fender and grill area. Meanwhile, I'm driving the trusty old Toyota which by some stroke of luck I haven't sold yet. It's pretty much a POS, and I haven't even renewed the inspection sticker since I never drive it anymore. So for the MONTH that my car spent in the shop, I basically only drove this thing from home to work. However one night I decide to go out with some friends, and left the Toyota parked in the visitor section of an apartment complex that I have parked the MINI at many a time. And guess what? When I walked out the car that morning, it had been broken into. Many valuables were taken (I recently moved and had not unloaded everything), but more importantly, the people got ahold of my bank statement and a copy of my driver's license that 24 Hour Fitness makes you keep on the front of your membership card. So now these thugs not only have my car stereo and CDs, but they know where I live, where I work, where I bank, what I drive and what I look like. I'm scared beyond belief and now I have to worry about identity theft on top of it all. End of tragedy #2.

So on Friday, my 23rd birthday and exactly ONE MONTH from the date of my accident, my MINI is finally ready to come home from the hospital, and I couldn't be more ecstatic. I get behind the wheel with renewed vigor and enthuse for the car that I love so much. Of course, I was bummed that I had to work all weekened, but excited nonetheless. Now, let me premise this portion of the story by clarifying that I am nurse, and I work nights 7pm to 7am. I park my car in a fairly large parking garage that serves my hospital only. I use a pass to park in this garage, and others without passes pay $10 a day to park there; however at night it is typically only employees. I always park up high on the 4th or 5th level far away from the heavy traffic, as most people park on level 1 or 2 which feed directly into the hospital. I park near most physician cars and share parking spots with other concerned owners of BMWs, 'vettes, Jags and the like. I generally feel safe parking there. However on Monday morning 7am as I am returning to my car, I notice that both cars parked next to me are not the same cars that were next to me the night before when I arrived (unusual, since I park next to employees who generally work the same shift as I). I also noticed that the van to my passengers side was parked uneccessarily close. I decided to check that side of the MINI for any door dings- something I am generally not too worried or obsessive about. Lo and behold when I walked over there... my car had been keyed. Violently keyed. All down the passengers side and a nice accent on the bonnet as well. They even made a little asterik on the door. How artistic.

I was LIVID. Nothing could console me after that. I drove it straight back to the body shop, barely 48 hours from picking her up. I have to make yet ANOTHER claim on my insurance and pay yet ANOTHER $500 deductible. I am dead broke! What the hell is wrong with people?! I have no enemies at work, and nobody knows I drive that car other than my coworkers who were all working with me at the time this happened. As a result, the entire passenger's side door and bonnet have to be sanded and repainted. Suddenly, four months into ownership, my car's resale value has shot to zilch. I can only imagine the multi-colored effect it will have after being repainted so many times.

Life is such a beotch. I hope that this third incident is the FINAL for me. I can't take any more. I'm beginning to think my MINI is cursed.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:47 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:evil:

Old 03-31-2004, 11:00 PM
kgmini
2nd Gear
UH! Sorry to hear about your month from he!! Where do these people come from? I had my Boxster keyed a couple of years ago so I can relate to what you're feeling. Why is it that people have to destroy other people's property? In both our cases it's not like we were born with silver spoons in our mouths. We sacrificed years of our lives in school and worked our rears off to get the things that we have. If that sorry SOB that keyed your MINI would put his/her two brain cells together maybe they too could afford to have something nice.

Not to hijack the thread but I have another example of the world gone mad. I grew up dreaming about owning a Porsche. Just before my 27th birthday I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a Yellow Boxster S. It was my dream car and a culmination of years of hard work. I worked nights at the time so I stopped by work to show my friends my new ride. On the way home I was traveling down the highway (Central Expressway for those familar with Dallas) with my top down. I was in the slow lane going the speed limit (cruise on)...just enjoying the drive. From out of no where some idiots in a POS car pulled up along side of me and started yelling choice words and flipping me the bird. WTF....I truely believe in being the master of one's destiny. These people were set for a lifetime of failure.

Don't worry about your MINI. It will be as good as new when they get finished with it. You'll be motoring once again.

Old 04-01-2004, 12:55 AM
C4
Banned
Could the keying "job" have been done by the individual who rear ended you the first time??

Food for taught. There are many nutsos loose out there, so I would not be surprised this individual is stalking your car as an act of revenge. To me the whole tale sounds to coincidential.

Maybe you need to contact the police.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:40 AM
spoonleg
6th Gear
Yes, I made police reports on both incidents.

It did occur to me that it could be the person who rear ended me OR the person who broke into my other car. While the person who rear ended me DOES know my name, number, address and license #, they do not per se know where I work. I don't think they would really make all that effort to find out where I work, locate where I park and then hunt down my car in a very large garage. Besides that, they would have no way of knowing that my car was out of the shop, nor do they know my work schedule (which is very unorthodox at 3 days a week ,7pm to 7am shifts). I think these were all just random incidents; probably a result of my very bad karma. I have spent a LOOOOONG time considering what scornful deed I may have committed in a previous life to deserve all of this bad luck!

Old 04-01-2004, 03:55 AM
MINI_Dreamer
3rd Gear
:smile:

Good luck, spoonleg!!!!

Old 04-01-2004, 04:07 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Old 04-01-2004, 07:12 AM
AppleCello
4th Gear
>>So, just try to look at it from the "glass half full" perspective. That is, if bad comes in groups of three, then you're done.
>>

HOw about, Its only a car that got beat up. better than YOU getting beat up in a parking garage late at night! fix the car, stay alert about your identity theft concerns. and have some ice cream becuase its spring!

Patrick

Old 04-01-2004, 07:17 AM
atn57
4th Gear
I sorry to hear all the bad things that has happen to you. I sure things will be better. HAVE A NICE DAY :smile: :smile:

tony

Old 04-01-2004, 07:20 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
gad, spoonie I'm speechless! You poor soul. Let us know if there's anything we can do beyond tea and sympathy. I'm not sure what we could do, but when I read these kinds of stories, first my blood boils then I want to do something to help.....please, be careful.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:32 AM
capsfan13
2nd Gear
Spoon!

Here's what you do: strike fear into the hearts of those that would tamper with your MINI. Get the body shop to paint the car totally camo. Get the 4-light bar put ON TOP, and put an empty gun rack on the backs of your rear seats.

A skull and crossboones would look awesome on your doors and maybe even bonnet. The "keep honking, I'm reloading" sticker works wonders, too. If anyone hits you, it'll be as if your MEAN-AS-HELL car did it TO THEM, then you can drive away and laugh as they are frightened to their very cores. No need to get insurance involved, your car will look meaner for it!

For more detail on how to make your ride as mean as possible, check out Raising Arizona and study the biker guy, Leonard Smalls.

Trust me, it's satisfying!
Troy

Old 04-01-2004, 07:33 AM
seashelly
4th Gear

Life can be so weird and random sometimes.

Shelly

Old 04-01-2004, 07:54 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope this at least brings a smile to your face. It's from Pulp Fiction, and I did my best to edit up the language. Vincent is a professional hitman BTW.

MGC

LANCE
Still got your Malibu?

VINCENT
You know what some f***er did to it
the other day?

LANCE
What?

VINCENT
F***in' keyed it.

LANCE
Oh man, that's f***ed up.

VINCENT
Tell me about it. I had the
g*dd*mn thing in storage three
years. It's out five f***in' days
-- five days, and some d*ckless
piece of sh*t f***s with it.

LANCE
They should be f***in' killed. No
trial, no jury, straight to
execution.

VINCENT
I just wish I caught 'em doin' it,
ya know? Oh man, I'd give anything
to catch 'em doin' it. It'a been
worth his doin' it, if I coulda
just caught 'em, you know what I
mean?

LANCE
It's chicken sh*t. You don't f***
another man's vehicle.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:02 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Totally sucks, man. Hopefully all your bad luck is behind you now.

One question: isn't leaving the scene of an accident illegal where you live? I would think the other driver would get into some big trouble for doing that.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:12 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Yikes! So sorry to hear of your troubles. That really sucks! I agree, you're definitely done with your bad luck for a long while. I'd start buying lottery tickets and entering lots of sweepstakes!

Old 04-01-2004, 08:23 AM
jstines
4th Gear
Assuming this isn't an April Fools Day joke on us, have you checked with hospital security? Every hospital I visit has security cameras all over the place, and I visit a lot of hospitals through my work.

Sorry about your car.

See ya,
JS

Old 04-01-2004, 08:47 AM
OregonCooper
1st Gear
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Have you considered changing your comprehensive deductible to $0? I did this on my MC (from $500) & it only changed the premium by $20/six months.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:24 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
I feel for you, and sure hope this is really an april fool's prank cuz I will feel a lot better if this is a joke.
If not, s..t happens. there are evil people in the world and the best you can do get use a good body shop...no one will know.......

Old 04-01-2004, 09:34 AM
countrym
6th Gear
I'm hoping this is an April Fool's joke.

Don't believe anything you read on NAM today, unless it's posted by HondaCivic.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:43 AM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
Spoon,
So sorry to hear that. I won't go into details (at least not now), but I've been the month of March's b*tch since 1998. I had hoped it was just me. I just hope you continue to follow my pattern and have a quiet April followed by an outstanding May.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:25 AM
brgfan
4th Gear
So sorry to hear about all the problems you've had lately. I don't know if its any consolation, but I figure that everyone gets equal shares of good and bad luck over the space of a lifetime. It may not be spread out evently, but I think its a 50/50 proposition. With that in mind, you may be in line for a series of good things happening to you! At least eventually. Hang in there, it'll come around.

Oh, and those jerks that have visited problems on you lately... Consider where those kinds of actions and behaviors will lead them. They're making problems for you, but you'll move on and get through them. These jerks will probably always be losers. Eventually, it will catch up with them.

There's better times a comin'

Old 04-01-2004, 05:59 PM
spoonleg
6th Gear
<<Assuming this isn't an April Fools Day joke on us, have you checked with hospital security? Every hospital I visit has security cameras all over the place, and I visit a lot of hospitals through my work. >>>>

I WISH this were an April Fools joke. But it's not. I wouldn't fool around about my MINI like that. I did check with the officer on duty in the parking garage and he could offer me no consolation other than a stinking claim number. I thought by some chance there might be cameras, but no luck there.

<<Have you considered changing your comprehensive deductible to $0?>>

I didn't know this was an option. If I did, I would have changed it after the accident since I am now scared crapless of paying yet a third $500 deductible on this car when someone does something stupid. And the worst part is, they only estimate the damage to be worth $800, yet $500 comes from MY pocket! What crap!
:smile:

Thanks again for listening guys. Yall are always a tremendous support. Bottom line is, I'm still just as proud to be a MINI owner! And hey, now she's got a little bit of "history" under her belt. I suppose one could say it builds character. I just don't like the idea of her having TOO MUCH character. hehe :smile:

Old 04-01-2004, 06:22 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
That really sucks!
Any chance the garage has video security monitors? People shouldn't get away w/ that.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:56 PM
spoonleg
6th Gear
Update: My lovely MINI has been restored and returned to me... better than new! The body shop fixed my stripe, which the dealership had botched before I took delivery. They replaced both of my decals for free, which had to be done in order to correctly place the stripe. The rear fender and passenger door have been repaired and repainted from the accident/vandalism and it is impossible to tell from the naked eye. Sona's looking good once again!

Her latest beauty shots:

Old 04-23-2004, 11:48 PM
number_twelve
2nd Gear
Wow, great news!
I wish some company would come out with AFFORDABLE security cameras that you could place within your car, with motion sensors and be inconspicuous. This would be a big hit with many, and I would definitely have them!
I was also thinking about inatalling a camera in my next parking spot when I move to Tacoma, just in case I fall victim to vandalism.
These days, it seems people are more likely to key a Lamborghini than admire it, out of pure jealousy for the rich ***** that drives it! I guess I'll go buy a Cavalier!

Sponleg, where are you from?

Quick Reply: R50/53 Tragedies really do come in threes: a disheartening MINI epi