R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Need ideas for "budget" driving light install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Need ideas for "budget" driving light install.

I really like the looks of driving lights on the front of the mini.....but I hate the prices on many of the kits I've seen (most in the range of $400-$500). Is there a better (and cheaper) way of going about adding driving lights? I don't mind buying all of the components separately...I just don't really know what to get (best lights? wiring, fuses, switches, mounts).

Anyone have a parts list put together where I can get all of these items at, and not pay an arm and a leg for them?

Thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a Mini with factory driving lights and they are rusted, so I was looking into other options. I like the size and the covers that say Mini on them, so I was looking for a direct replacement to mine and this is what I have come up with so far...
Non Stainless options:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Chrome-Spo...#ht_2472wt_952
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RDX-BLACK-...#ht_2344wt_952
Stainless Steel:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Stainless-...#ht_2306wt_952
Both options:
http://www.madautoparts.com/bmwminispotlightskit.htm

I can't attest to any of these options and don't know if you can even order them as they are overseas. This is just what I have found and gathered so far so I am passing it on to you. If anyone has ordered any of these or has any other opinions please let us know.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
There are many aftermarket driving lights available at a reasonable price. WIPAC and Hella are some I've seen mentioned. The only MINI specific things you'll need are the mounts, which are available at several MINI vendors.
See here and here for discussion.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
My Mini came with the factory driving lights which are rusted, so I was looking for replacements that would not rust. I like the size and the covers for the factory lights so wanted to find a suitable replacement the same size. This is what I have found so far...

http://www.minisport2.com/mini-parts...MPLAMPKIT.html

http://www.madautoparts.com/bmwminispotlightskit.htm

There are also options on Ebay in stainless and non stainless.
I have no reference for any of these, it is just what I have found searching around.
Anyone have any suggestions for these or other factory size 5" stainless or aluminum lights?

Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
There are many aftermarket driving lights available at a reasonable price. WIPAC and Hella are some I've seen mentioned. The only MINI specific things you'll need are the mounts, which are available at several MINI vendors.
See here and here for discussion.
concur

the MINI kit is overly complicated and overly expensive

you CAN do without the factory mounts IF you have metal fabrication skills/tools. For most, buying the factory mount (and then down load the factory install instructions for mounting) is the best plan of attack.

you'll also need to decide

1. are you going to wire 'legal' and tie into the high beams?

2. where to put your switch

bring it over - you buy the parts - I'll install 'em - I've done many

{if you'll never actually use 'em .... consider mounting without wires. That's how my rear fogs are on my 07, and I installed two sets of DL for folks like that. They wanted the look but never leave the city!}

Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 PM
ERIK06MCS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I found used broken lights on ebay for $20. I took the bracketsand resold the cleaned up housings.

I also bought kc 5" apollos off amazon for $75 shipped. I put the switch on the driver knee panel, theres a perfect sized cut out on the back, just drill the proper sized hole for switch mount and wiring. Wired in the lights with the supplied relay and wiring from the apollo kit and riveted the oem mounts to the hood through the grille.

$100 for black plastic driving lights that will not rust. Doesnt get much more budget than that.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hella lights and VIP mounts...

Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two big flash lights and duct tape works awesome.

Just kidding :P The prior stated posts are all great. Don't go OEM.

The previous owner of my car installed PIAA lights. They seem to be average price but work well.

You also save money on just installing them yourself. Mine are wired to go on only when the headlights are one, however, I can have them on and my high beams on at the same time.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:28 PM
euroids
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got a OE mini light kit i'd be willing to sell to you cheap. Its on the car now but i want to remove it in favor of bigger/more lights. Ive had the car about a month and they were on there when i bought it.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ERIK06MCS
I found used broken lights on ebay for $20. I took the bracketsand resold the cleaned up housings.

I also bought kc 5" apollos off amazon for $75 shipped. I put the switch on the driver knee panel, theres a perfect sized cut out on the back, just drill the proper sized hole for switch mount and wiring. Wired in the lights with the supplied relay and wiring from the apollo kit and riveted the oem mounts to the hood through the grille.

$100 for black plastic driving lights that will not rust. Doesnt get much more budget than that.
Do you have the factory covers that say "Mini" on yours, or know if they will fit.
I like the idea of plastic ones as they won't rust, but don't they get hot? One review on Amazon said theirs melted, any thoughts?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Drakosd
2nd Gear
Outmotoring mounting brackets and Hella 500's. Maybe $200. No rust and Super Bright.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Adamrod7
2nd Gear
Countryman Driving Lights

Originally Posted by euroids
Ive got a OE mini light kit i'd be willing to sell to you cheap. Its on the car now but i want to remove it in favor of bigger/more lights. Ive had the car about a month and they were on there when i bought it.
Euroids: Do you ever sell the oem Mini Light Kit? Let me know. I'd like to buy them! Are they Black or Chrome?