R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 the whistling is driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
the whistling is driving me crazy!!!

does anyone else have a whistling sound from their mini? seems like when i hit about 30-40mph, this whistle starts.... kinda sounds like air blowing through or around an air vent, or some thin metal or something... doesnt get a whole lot worse the faster i go, which to me is strange, and it starts at about the same speed each day.

i DO have basically a flat underbody, from my custom panelling, and a front splitter, and the aero kit. I think the mini has maybe Always had this whistle, but the more i quite the inside of the car down (better tires, GTmat, reduce internal squeaks and creaks) the more i can hear OUTSIDE of the car!

its driving me apesh*t ... suggestions?!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM
thunderball kaboom
2nd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a 6-speed, and it began whistling like a teapot early last year. It turned out to be the throwout bearing, which essentially requires a clutch replacement. It began very quietly, with no change in pitch as speed increased. Over time, it got so loud I had to repair it. It did stop if the clutch pedal was pushed in.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:51 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini

does anyone else have a whistling sound from their mini? seems like when i hit about 30-40mph, this whistle starts.... kinda sounds like air blowing through or around an air vent, or some thin metal or something... doesnt get a whole lot worse the faster i go, which to me is strange, and it starts at about the same speed each day.

i DO have basically a flat underbody, from my custom panelling, and a front splitter, and the aero kit. I think the mini has maybe Always had this whistle, but the more i quite the inside of the car down (better tires, GTmat, reduce internal squeaks and creaks) the more i can hear OUTSIDE of the car!

its driving me apesh*t ... suggestions?!
have an aftermarket intake?

I was driving last night and mine started chirping at a certain throttle position right around 2k

Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by submitaweasel
have an aftermarket intake?

I was driving last night and mine started chirping at a certain throttle position right around 2k
+1

Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TimL
+1
+2
Many folks foud the open, cone cai's cause a whistle....
I went with the dinian...a few folks switched from the likes of alta to dinian and jcw for this exact reason....less whine from the sc,but no whistle at some rpms. Your description sounds about right for the intake whistle.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
you would think... but then, why does it only show up at over 30mph? and the sound does not change with throttle (ive tried to coast and listen, rev and listen)?

i dont think its the throwout bearing, that was done w/ the clutch when i got the car...

yes, on aftermarket filter, yes on aftermarket intake hose... i know what That sounds like, this is def coming from the rear of the vehicle.

Tim, noticed you have a "specially" modified intake airbox... please explain! sounds intriguing!!!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think I know what it is. My hatch whistles sometimes when it is especially dry outside and the seals don't stick 100%. my drivers door does it too sometimes. grab some back to black or peanut oil and lube up that black rubber trim around the front windows and all around the hatch. My mini hasn't whistled all summer.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
awesome! i will try that tonight / this weekend!

any additional suggestions are still welcome!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
I love the intake whistle...it makes my laugh when I hear it. I had someone ask if my R53 had a turbo I responded by promptly digging my foot into the go fast pedal to make that glorious supercharger wail.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
i can hardly hear my intake whistle these days... i think the SC makes more noise than anything else in the car!

still need headers... wish i had the extra 300 bucks to blow on them :(

Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If I shift around 6500 RPM my justa gives off this turbo blow off valve sound. Not as high pitched, but it catches me off guard some times.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by zippynh
+2
many folks foud the open, cone cai's cause a whistle....
I went with the dinian...a few folks switched from the likes of alta to dinian and jcw for this exact reason....less whine from the sc,but no whistle at some rpms. Your description sounds about right for the intake whistle.
+3

Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
i have the same high pitch whistle sound and its coming from the rear. i can hear it with windows up and with windows down(louder) and i have a feeling it could be the wheel bearings. because the rims and hub are super hot compared to the fronts i even went for a drive with out using the brakes to see if it was indeed the wheel bearings causing the heat and not the breaks... and i think it is the bearings. but the noise only seems to happen at highway speeds 50-80 goes away at in town speed 25-45

Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Greek,

thanks for being on "my" side of the argument! lol. bc, its def NOT the intake... i used to have a celica with a custom intake, and that whistled some, and i have heard my intake whistle before, but this for sure is not the issue, bc it doesnt change with rpm.

i will have mini check my rear bearings, bc i feel this has been slowly but surely getting Worse over time...

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
i can hardly hear my intake whistle these days... i think the SC makes more noise than anything else in the car!

still need headers... wish i had the extra 300 bucks to blow on them :(
Ugh, every time I see a post about supercharger noise I want to put my pulley on even more badly. My puller can't show up soon enough!!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
In the past there have been several people that have had whistling noises coming from their "A" panels at speed. To do a check for this tape is your friend. Simply run a strip of tape on either side and go for a ride and see if the noise goes away. If you think that it is coming from the rear do the same on the hatch. If nothing less you will eliminate some possible area's.
Steve

[QUOTE=astroBlackMetallic_Mini;3575940]

Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
weasel,

dont get too excited... chances are, that pulley puller's gonna break apart when you attempt to pull off the stock pulley. then, youll end up cutting your pulley wheel off, like so many others.

i may suggest that you try to use either heat and or cold to loosen the pulley. put a bag of ice on the pulley shaft, then heat up the pulley itself with a hair dryer / heat gun. this should create some temp differential in the metals, making one pull away from the other just enough to loosen that thing up. doing this "may" save your pulley extractor.

i know they use this method for crank pulley installs (at home anyway). dont see why it wouldnt work for the SC pulley as well. i had mini do my pulley, they broke their puller, then it took 4 techs with hammers to take my pulley off. it was trashed. its a nice paper weight now

thanks Itch, ill all def do the tape thing for troubleshooting!

Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
weasel,

dont get too excited... chances are, that pulley puller's gonna break apart when you attempt to pull off the stock pulley. then, youll end up cutting your pulley wheel off, like so many others.

i may suggest that you try to use either heat and or cold to loosen the pulley. put a bag of ice on the pulley shaft, then heat up the pulley itself with a hair dryer / heat gun. this should create some temp differential in the metals, making one pull away from the other just enough to loosen that thing up. doing this "may" save your pulley extractor.

i know they use this method for crank pulley installs (at home anyway). dont see why it wouldnt work for the SC pulley as well. i had mini do my pulley, they broke their puller, then it took 4 techs with hammers to take my pulley off. it was trashed. its a nice paper weight now

thanks Itch, ill all def do the tape thing for troubleshooting!
Thanks for the advice I heard anti-seize is your friend when pulling off the stock pulley as well..

Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The mini specfic pulley puller is an exact negative of the shape of the oem pulley...fits over about 50-75% of it like a glove, allowing it to pull it off...no heat (which can dammage the seals in the sc) needed.....
If you try to pull the pulley off with a genaric puller, the description of the above issue will 100% happen...

Old 08-25-2012, 07:00 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
The mini specfic pulley puller is an exact negative of the shape of the oem pulley...fits over about 50-75% of it like a glove, allowing it to pull it off...no heat (which can dammage the seals in the sc) needed.....
If you try to pull the pulley off with a genaric puller, the description of the above issue will 100% happen...
Well that's good because I got a MINI-specific one for fear of...whats described above

Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 AM
euroids
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get a whistling noise but im pretty sure its coming from my roof rack. I bought the car about a month ago and its so bad ive refrained from using my sunroof. That says a lot because in previous vehicles the only time i would close it, if it was raining.

Ive been lazy and have yet to try and get rid of it, maybe this afternoon haha.

I didnt think about the a pillars though, i did notice they are just slightly off. But while im driving, if i move the air diverter flaps i can move the air flow to go over the roof rack and it seems to slightly go away.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:35 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by euroids
I get a whistling noise but im pretty sure its coming from my roof rack. I bought the car about a month ago and its so bad ive refrained from using my sunroof. That says a lot because in previous vehicles the only time i would close it, if it was raining.

Ive been lazy and have yet to try and get rid of it, maybe this afternoon haha.

I didnt think about the a pillars though, i did notice they are just slightly off. But while im driving, if i move the air diverter flaps i can move the air flow to go over the roof rack and it seems to slightly go away.
Is it the OEM roof rack? I've got a Mont Blanc roof rack with a bike attachment on it, and a Thule fairing. I didn't notice any increase in wind noise after installing...unless I've got my bike on top

Point is: maybe you could install a fairing?

Old 08-26-2012, 05:16 AM
euroids
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha i actually took 5 mins to try and figure it out and thats all it took haha. Oh man im so lazy. First i tried electrical tape on any seem i could think would make a whislte to no avail. Then i just took out the black plastic channel insert (to keep debris out of the channel), poof no more whistle!!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Which one!? The front middle, or the rear 2?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
If you have had one of two black lexan "A" Pillar covers replaced, or recent windshield replacement I have seen where "A" pillars can be the souce.

Behind the black lexan trim is a gray molded foam backing which chanels water/air away from going inside the car. I have a DIY thread on replacing the A pillar covers with photos of this foam piece. Should be a sticky on it.

Sometimes if a shop is not familiar with the car replaces just the black lexan cover, or a windsheild installler forgets to replace a molded foam backing, whistling is always prevelent.

The following users liked this post:
Subw00er (09-10-2017)

Quick Reply: R50/53 the whistling is driving me crazy!!!