R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Beep. Beep. doors are locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 08:17 PM
StingerD
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A minor complaint about my mini.

I own a Toyota Sienna minivan and when I use the keychain to lock the van, the van beeps at me. I find the beep reassuring. My mini doesn’t beep. Is there any way to make it beep so I can be sure it locked?

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2004, 08:22 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My opinion is exactly the opposite from yours. I am SO GLAD that the MINI doesn't beep when I lock it. My friend's Toyota Matrix does that, and it drives me nuts! I find it loud and obnoxious. I think that the flashing front, rear, and side blinkers on the MINI are plenty reassuring.

Sorry, I can't actually answer your question...

Old 03-20-2004, 08:25 PM
miniboost
2nd Gear
Buy the Mini Alarm and it'll beep for you.

MiniBoost

Old 03-20-2004, 10:43 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
>>Buy the Mini Alarm and it'll beep for you.
>>
>>MiniBoost

I have the MINI alarm ('03 MY) and it doesn't beep. Unless I lock the car when the doors are open, and then it beeps to let me know that they're open.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:21 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
I'm with chrisnl, I'm glad it doesn't beep. The lights flash when the doors lock. That's all I need.

Old 03-21-2004, 04:57 AM
minitothemax
4th Gear
I would have some fun at work and hit the lock button from my office window when people were standing around checking out my car. The lights would flash and the people would stand back and look around to see who caught them gawking.

Old 03-21-2004, 05:09 AM
NRX13
2nd Gear
I wouldnt mind a small beep, not an obnoxious loud beep. Something besides flashing, sometimes im in a hurry and as im walking away, and not looking at the car, I hit the button, then i turn around and hit again to make sure. My batteries are going to die soon:(

Old 03-21-2004, 05:36 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I would have some fun at work and hit the lock button from my office window when people were standing around checking out my car. The lights would flash and the people would stand back and look around to see who caught them gawking.
Or a few local MINI owner's will get together one night and have the MINI lightshow!

Old 03-21-2004, 08:29 AM
H&J
3rd Gear
I'm in with those the beep bugs. Why aren't lights blinking enough? Almost as annoying as motorcyclists in traffic with loud exhausts (suffering from an infection of Small ***?)...

Old 03-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The sound of the locks being applied is audible enough for me and if I'm to far away to hear them, I can see the marker lights flash.....I tend to go along with others that feel the horn is noise pollution !

Old 03-21-2004, 09:24 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Did you know that hitting the button once locks the car and arms the motion sensor, hitting the button a second time disables the motion sensor? It's useful to know if you ever take your car on a ferry or other transport where the alarm might be triggered accidently. Also good to know that you've just disabled a feature while you're playing with the gawkers... (If you don't have an alarm, you don't have a motion sensor, so this won't apply.)

Old 03-21-2004, 10:05 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When you lock the doors with the remote, the
"chunk-chunk" sound is so loud, that I've assumed
it was created deliberately... I mean, do the locks
really make that much noise, or is there a digital
sound activated so that you know the doors have
locked? This sound is quite satisfying and better
than a "beep". IMO.

Godspeed.

Old 03-21-2004, 01:34 PM
CooperS53
2nd Gear
how exactly do u mess with people looking at your car, cause if its already locked, then it wont' flash again when u push lock again... at least thats how my 04 is... if i push lock it'll flash once, and if i push it again, it won't flash, the inside light will turn on, but thats it... and of course unlock flashes twice, and unlock again just turns on the light... that is not reassuring to me, i would like it to flash every time, cause in the day i can't remember if i locked it, and i push it again, but since it's light out i can't see if the interior light turned on, so i have to unlock it, and lock it to see the lights... anyway to make it flash even after the first time i push lock?

Old 03-21-2004, 02:42 PM
inioway
6th Gear
I add my vote to those saying beeping horns when cars are locked/unlocked isn't such a hot thing. It's just contributing further to daily noise pollution. I have a Saab 900 that does that and I tend to feel a bit obnoxious forcing people to suffer that beep.

I like the sound of the locks clicking, but hadn't considered until now that they are, indeed, loud. But it is sort of a solid secure sound that's not obtrusive imo.

Old 03-21-2004, 02:45 PM
minitothemax
4th Gear
I have an '03 and it flashes every time that I hit the lock button on the remote. I don't know why they would have changed that for the '04 models.

Old 03-21-2004, 02:51 PM
minitothemax
4th Gear
>>
>>Or a few local MINI owner's will get together one night and have the MINI lightshow!
>>

I can picture a bunch of xenon equipped MINIs lined up in a parking lot with their bonnets open trying to coax aircraft to land.

Old 03-21-2004, 03:00 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
i am used to the viper car security systems where you can have the option of audible or non-audible arming/disarming. in either case, the parking lights flash to signal which you are doing, one flash for arming, two flashes for disarming. likewise, if you choose audible, one chirp is arm, two is disarm. kinda like "arm", "disarm", where each syllable = one chirp. i think this is very useful. at least it gives me an option should i feel embarassed about letting everyone else know i have an alarm.

i must say that on my mini, more than a few times i forget if i did in fact arm it. this is especially during the day when the bright sunlight makes it very difficult to see if the parking lights flashed or not. to get around this issue, i have made it a habit to simply arm the alarm manually by using the keyhole. that way i can usually see the flashing lights since i'm so close, and i can definitely hear the door locking.

still there are times, when i have my hands full that i wish i could consistently know 100% that i am arming the alarm when i should choose to use the remote. at least give us the option.

Old 03-29-2004, 03:55 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
I also am very happy that my MINI does not sound off every time I lock it with the remote, that imho is very obnoxious.

the lights and the clicks are enough for me.

Old 03-29-2004, 04:19 PM
driverphil
3rd Gear
I have an 04 MC with Alarm. It has a soft electronic beep when I lock the doors and similar when the doors are unlocked. What I enjoy is that the beep is subtle instead of the type that lets everyone within 100 feet know that I am locking.

Old 03-29-2004, 04:41 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Our 04 with an alarm beeps as well. It's a mellow beep, and not nearly as obnoxious as most alarm tones. We have a Maxima that doesn't beep and since we got the MINI I've been wishing it did.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:35 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, here's the question...and I WILL find an answer for this....the '04 system beeps (nice, soft beep as mentioned...heard it on a friend's PW/PW Cooper the other day) and my '03 alarm doesn't. Can the '03 alarm be programmed to beep? Is it an option written somewhere in the inner recessed of one of the software-electronic-program thingies in the car??? Anybody have a clue on this? If not (...I sure don't!!), I'm going to find out from MINIUSA. I want to nail this one down!

Old 04-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Snake
Neutral
I like it without the beeping, the flashing is just like my mum's jaguar XJR

Old 05-11-2004, 08:11 PM
tokyogirl
1st Gear
My two weeks old MINI stopped flashing the light when I lock the door...
It was flashing yesterday....
what's this mean?

Old 05-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do they flash when you used the turn signal or flashers ?

Old 05-11-2004, 08:36 PM
tokyogirl
1st Gear
It flashes when I unlock... like it always does.
So I suppose they are functioning... othewise.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Beep. Beep. doors are locked