R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cost is no object. Should I get JCW kit? Is it worth the $$

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 07:44 PM
travelkids
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get the JCW kit? Would love to hear from you who have it! Is the performance worth it? Is the feel worth it?

Old 03-05-2004, 07:57 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes

Old 03-05-2004, 08:00 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
but as cost is no object also get a different exahust and intake. Maybe a header with low restriction cat and a lsd as well.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:03 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
i forgot 16 x 6.5" ssr comps with good ruber as well

Old 03-05-2004, 08:06 PM
npartist
4th Gear
I don't understand. You say cost is no object, which to me means it doesn't really matter if it is worth is just so long as you want it. That is just my way of thinking. But it does make the Mini a much more "spirited" machine so I would say get it and I agree, you need to get an intake and possibably exhaust w/ header to let the true spirit free.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:06 PM
ftbt
2nd Gear
No offense. This issue has been sliced 'n diced, dissected and discussed "ad nauseum." Do a search and read the posts. The pros and cons have been debated by both sides on all of the forums.

I have it. I like it.

Who is right? Who is wrong? Neither .... it is whatever is right for you! Basically .... "whatever floats your boat ...." Either way ... you will have a great car.

ftbt

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, DS/W; Sport + Premium + Alta CAI + HSport Springs, Competition Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + Clear Bra + Schroth Harness

2002 CVT Cooper LY/W + Sport + 17" S Lites & Pirelii Euforias + Clear Bra

Old 03-05-2004, 08:10 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>Should I get the JCW kit? Would love to hear from you who have it! Is the performance worth it? Is the feel worth it?

travelkids,

Is JCW kit for the MCS worth it? Well yes it is but the cost is high at $6000. Is it worth that much given the warranty that is provided? Yes, if you are worried about reliability and need a warranty for your peace of mind.

For $6000 what else could be done? Plenty. Just give Eric at HELIX13 or Randy at Webbmotorsports a call. The parts for upgrades exist and can get you far past the performance level of a JCW kit MCS but you will have to find a good garage or shop to do the installs rather than the dealer where labor costs are about $100 per hour.

If you know someone good to do the labor or you do it yourself then $6000 will go a long way to increase performance using aftermarket parts. The warranty from the factory on the parts you replace is then void.

An alternative to JCW would be the forthcoming DINAN stage 1 and 2 kit upgrades that should arrive within 4 weeks across the country at DINAN authorized upgrade sites. The stage 2 kit is much the same as the JCW kit but the cost is considerable less, the performance is on par and the warranty is a long 4 years.
http://dinancars.com/newsletter/news...6-10-2003.html

Another reason to pay the higher prices for the JCW kit is that it is convient to have the dealer to everything and they will honor the warranty on your upgrades from JCW. Some buy the JCW kit for the collector value believing that it will be a classic.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:13 PM
travelkids
3rd Gear
Sure cost is no object, but I don't want to just throw money away. I want something for the $$. I don't mind spending if I am getting something! Spririted is just what I am looking for, but I do want to keep the car totally OEM.

>>I don't understand. You say cost is no object, which to me means it doesn't really matter if it is worth is just so long as you want it. That is just my way of thinking. But it does make the Mini a much more "spirited" machine so I would say get it and I agree, you need to get an intake and possibably exhaust w/ header to let the true spirit free.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:19 PM
travelkids
3rd Gear
Well I have searched and found nothing that really hits home. Like you just said, is it right for that person? Well you like it who are you? Why do you like it and others don't? I guess I want to know is what type of person likes it and what type of person doesn't. No offense, but your response is the kind that doesn't help!?!

>>No offense. This issue has been sliced 'n diced, dissected and discussed "ad nauseum." Do a search and read the posts. The pros and cons have been debated by both sides on all of the forums.
>>
>>I have it. I like it.
>>
>>Who is right? Who is wrong? Neither .... it is whatever is right for you! Basically .... "whatever floats your boat ...." Either way ... you will have a great car.
>>
>>ftbt
>>
>>2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, DS/W; Sport + Premium + Alta CAI + HSport Springs, Competition Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + Clear Bra + Schroth Harness
>>
>>2002 CVT Cooper LY/W + Sport + 17" S Lites & Pirelii Euforias + Clear Bra

Old 03-05-2004, 08:25 PM
travelkids
3rd Gear
I guess I should of mentioned that I am interested in keeping it OEM. As much as the JCW kit could be considered that. I would have really like if MINI built the MCS right the first time. Where many owners weren't rushing to modify everything under the hood. JCW kit for 4700 installed, is it sounding better.

I just want a wee bit bigger smile when I am driving the JCW than my MCS.

>>>Should I get the JCW kit? Would love to hear from you who have it! Is the performance worth it? Is the feel worth it?
>>
>>travelkids,
>>
>>Is JCW kit for the MCS worth it? Well yes it is but the cost is high at $6000. Is it worth that much given the warranty that is provided? Yes, if you are worried about reliability and need a warranty for your peace of mind.
>>
>>For $6000 what else could be done? Plenty. Just give Eric at HELIX13 or Randy at Webbmotorsports a call. The parts for upgrades exist and can get you far past the performance level of a JCW kit MCS but you will have to find a good garage or shop to do the installs rather than the dealer where labor costs are about $100 per hour.
>>
>>If you know someone good to do the labor or you do it yourself then $6000 will go a long way to increase performance using aftermarket parts. The warranty from the factory on the parts you replace is then void.
>>
>>An alternative to JCW would be the forthcoming DINAN stage 1 and 2 kit upgrades that should arrive within 4 weeks across the country at DINAN authorized upgrade sites. The stage 2 kit is much the same as the JCW kit but the cost is considerable less, the performance is on par and the warranty is a long 4 years.
>>http://dinancars.com/newsletter/news...6-10-2003.html
>>
>>
>>Another reason to pay the higher prices for the JCW kit is that it is convient to have the dealer to everything and they will honor the warranty on your upgrades from JCW. Some buy the JCW kit for the collector value believing that it will be a classic.
>>
>>
>>_________________
>>Send a PM to minihune Mele Kalikimaka & Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!
>>

Old 03-05-2004, 08:51 PM
csasso
2nd Gear
I have been thinking about the JCW kit too and I also want to keep it OEM. I wish you could test drive a JCW car that would make a decision a lot easier.

A wise man once said that "Horsepower like Money - some is good, more is better and too much is just enough"

Old 03-05-2004, 09:08 PM
XAlfa
Banned
If cost were no object...? Well, first I'd get one of these

Old 03-05-2004, 09:10 PM
XAlfa
Banned
and one of these...

Old 03-05-2004, 09:11 PM
XAlfa
Banned
oh, and definitely one of these...

Old 03-05-2004, 09:13 PM
csasso
2nd Gear
If Cost were no object I would have a different MINI for each day of the week.

Old 03-05-2004, 09:14 PM
elbee
2nd Gear
Cost is always an object; it doesn't matter who you are, it's always there. Although, if it weren't, I'd have the Bugatti pictured above. Or any Bugatti for that matter. And a new F1 car each year.

Old 03-05-2004, 09:15 PM
XAlfa
Banned
and one of these would be fun for trips to the market...

Old 03-05-2004, 09:25 PM
XAlfa
Banned
and this would make a great commuter...

Old 03-05-2004, 09:56 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
I like the way xAlfa thinks

that "commuter" is sweet, is it a Stradale? can't find much info about it on the net, is it a rare Alfa?

Old 03-05-2004, 10:09 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>I guess I should of mentioned that I am interested in keeping it OEM. As much as the JCW kit could be considered that. I would have really like if MINI built the MCS right the first time. Where many owners weren't rushing to modify everything under the hood. JCW kit for 4700 installed, is it sounding better.

Yes, if you want OEM and warranty intact then if you must install it now then JCW kit MCS is fine. At $4700 installed it is a good option. If you can wait then the DINAN stage 2 kit MCS is less costly but not far from $4700.
In my area the JCW kit installed is $6000.

I can afford the JCW kit but choose not to do it. I am not afraid of not having the warranty intact and I am not a collector. I am a driver and I want to fine tune my MCS the way I want and enjoy the ride as well as the process of modding. Fun to create and fun to drive but balanced at the same time.

If you don't want to think about how best to balance performance upgrades and you want a warranty then either JCW or DINAN kits are available.

Is the JCW kit MCS or DINAN stage 2 MCS the ultimate performance MINI? Nope. But they are quite good and for most drivers they will do a fine job and keep warranty intake OEM style.

There are many threads on this subject. Let me find a few for you.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=19547

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=17117

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=8609

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=7310

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=6466

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=7193

On combining JCW kit and DINAN
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=21169

On JCW vs aftermarket
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=18891

On owning a JCW kit MCS
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=12587

On DINAN
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=12879
and
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=18387

On aftermarket upgrades
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=6354

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=12671

And many many others

Old 03-05-2004, 10:37 PM
XAlfa
Banned
>>I like the way xAlfa thinks
>>
>>that "commuter" is sweet, is it a Stradale? can't find much info about it on the net, is it a rare Alfa?

Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale

Years of production 1967 - 1969
Numbers built 18 (yes, very rare)
Body design Franco Scaglione
Weight 572 kg / 1261.0 lbs

Drivetrain
-------------
Engine 90º V8
Engine location Mid, longitudinally mounted
Displacement 1.995 liter / 121.7 cu in
Valvetrain 4 valves/cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feed Spica Fuel injection
Aspiration Naturally Aspirated
Gearbox Colotti 6 Speed Manual
Drive Rear wheel drive

Performance figures
-----------------------
Power 230 bhp / 171.6 kW @ 8800 rpm
BHP/Liter 115.3
Torque 200 Nm / 147.5 ft lbs @ 7000 rpm
Power to weight ratio 0.40 bhp/kg
Top Speed 174.0 mph / 280.0 km/h
0-60 mph Acceleration 5.50 s

Old 03-05-2004, 10:57 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Prior to the delivery of my MCS earlier this year, I pondered on the same question in search for reasons to justify the outrageous cost of a JCW tuning kit. After 2 months of ownership, I absolutely love the JCW in addition to a few other bolt-on upgrades like air intake, ignition wires, and header. Another factor to consider is how flexable your local MINI dealership is regarding warranty issue with aftermarket upgrades. Perhaps this will help your decision! :smile:

Old 03-06-2004, 04:26 AM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
>>and one of these would be fun for trips to the market...
>>

Mmmm, the 356 spider, good choice. James Dean killed himself in one of those. My dad's got a 1957 356A coupe, they're sweet cars, I imagine the spider is even cooler.

Old 03-06-2004, 04:29 AM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
One of these would be nice too if cost was no object:

Old 03-06-2004, 07:32 AM
XAlfa
Banned
>>Mmmm, the 356 spider, good choice. James Dean killed himself in one of those. My dad's got a 1957 356A coupe, they're sweet cars, I imagine the spider is even cooler.

That's a 550, not a 356. James Dean is rolling in his grave...

Quick Reply: R50/53 Cost is no object. Should I get JCW kit? Is it worth the $$