R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Picked up my MC on 10/9/02... preliminary thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 12:54 AM
clevari
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK.... woooohooo! IT"S AWESOME.....*clears throat* now that I got that outta my system, here is my opinion and saga so far.

Just picked up my MC silver/silver with everything except the cold package and leather. After picking up the car on the 9th the rep drove it to the conversion shop to put the hand controls in, I had to wait until the 10th to drive it. My MINI is the FIRST in the country to have hand controls( I know this because they called the manufacturer to ask how in the heck they install these things on a mini).

They only had to make one small 3 inch slot cut in the bottom panel for the poles, very clean.... for those of you with that glazed over look in their eyes, the hand controls are basically a hinge attached to the steering column with 2 poles going down to the brake and the accelerator( both pedals are still usable if someone else drives). Attached to the hinge is a handle that when you pull down presses the gas pedal, pressing the handle forward hits the brake. I will post pics soon

OK, back to the car...... sitting in the sport seats is insanely comfortable, and the leatherette is definitely stronger than the leather, even though the new smell of it is funky to me..... personal preference. The NAV system looks great(I still got the CD model tho ... oh well). The 2 pods on top of the steering dont feel out of place for me, although i am a bit short(5'6&quot.

The cup holders are kinda tight and small.......directly behind the cup holders in that empty space in the center column(under the toggle row touching the floor), I have an XM radio reciever installed... its a little hard to reach but i have the stations I like preset.

The auto AC works like a dream.... so nice when driving long distances. The CVT engine has alot more zip than I thought.. much better than my previous cars : 96 Chrysler Sebring coupe, 2001 Explorer Sport. Its soooooo much fun to drive, tho the car seemed to have more fun than me..... My wife and i drove from VA Beach to Kitty Hawk, NC on the back roads and some highway. We hit the 300 mile mark and the brakes are feeling less "grabby". Once we got there, parking was a sinch with the park distance control(it has 3 sensors on the back bumper... depending on which side is closer to an object it beeps in side your car on that side... the closer you get the faster it beeps until you are REALLY close and it emits a solid tone.

On the way home it was dark so we had the Xenons on, and WOW are they bright!

When we got home my cheeks hurt..... all smiles baby!!

Welp, thats the end of my novel for now.......

Chris

Old 10-15-2002, 01:10 AM
shaskan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man, that souns great. I'll pick mine up 2 weeks from Friday. Are the breaks "EXTREMELY" touchy when you first drive it?

Cheers

Old 10-15-2002, 04:46 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Oh man, that souns great. I'll pick mine up 2 weeks from Friday. Are the breaks "EXTREMELY" touchy when you first drive it?
>>
>>Cheers

My brakes felt great from day one. Didn't notice anything unusual.