R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 To lower not not to lower......?? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
To lower not not to lower......?? What do you think?

I'm getting ready to replace the front LCA bushings and upper shock mounts on my 03' MCS with 90,000 miles on it. While I'm at it, I'm thinking that I'm going to replace the stock shocks. I'm also going to put a new set of "non runflat" tires on it.

The more I look into the suspension, the harder time I have trying to figure out what I want to do. The options for suspension upgrades on the mini's seems endless!! I would like to keep the total bill for suspension under $800 if possible. So that leave me with several options. Stock springs w/ Koni yellows, stock springs with Koni FSD's, Megan coilovers, Vmaxx coilovers, lowering springs with Koni yellows.

The car is a daily driver, and my main goal is to make it ride better than it does now…..which feels like it’s riding on wooden tires. The ContiPro run-flats on it are hard as rocks…and I’m sure that the stock suspension isn’t helping things out.

My big dilemma is if I should replace the stock shocks and keep the stock springs…..or go with some springs like the H-sports that only lower around 1”. Better handling would be a big bonus, but I don’t want to give the car a harsher ride than it already has, that’s my whole point of spending the money for new suspension. I love the look of a slightly lowered mini, but I don't want to do it if it's going to make it ride hard, and possible wear out other components faster like the CV joints.

Any suggestions would really help me out.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Imo if you want to matain the ride, don't use lowering springs...if you want to do it use coilovers.
That having been said, a lower ride will scrape....so as a dd, it is dependant upon where you drive, and if you are willing to spend $$ on a few extra parts to prevent tirewear issues from just lowering...
A lowered mini does look nice, but for me, the loss of practicality was a no go...heck most of us barely use 70% of handling s stock mini is truely capable of imo. Havinh lived in Joplin a bit, i would wonder what it would be like driving through torrential downpours from thunderstorms and the 3 inch puddles infront of driveways....

Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If comfort is your big concern, keep the stock springs and get the Koni FSD's. They will probably give you the best ride possible in conjunction with the non run flat tires. All the other options you have listed will make the ride slightly harsher coilovers included.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
What about running the FSD's with some mild lowering springs like the Hsports? I know Koni says "don't do it"....but there sure are lots of posts out there from guys who have ran the FSD's with lowering springs, and they seem to love them.

I'm guessing that my worn out shocks (90,000 miles), and super hard and worn out ContiPro runflats are not going to ride any worse than some new non-runflat tires with Konis (yellows or FSD's) and Hsport springs....or will the springs make for a harsh ride no matter what?

Thanks

Old 01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I second the FSD's with stock springs. It's not just Koni that says "don't do it," knowledgeable vendors around here have said the same thing. If your big goal is better ride comfort with handling improvement as a bonus, I think that will be your best bet.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:57 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
I second the FSD's with stock springs. It's not just Koni that says "don't do it," knowledgeable vendors around here have said the same thing. If your big goal is better ride comfort with handling improvement as a bonus, I think that will be your best bet.

OK, thanks for the info. From what I'm gathering, unless you are doing lots of track days....or just like the look of a lowered car with the loss of comfort....lowering springs don't really get you much when it comes to a daily driver.

So who's got the best deal on FSD's right now? I need to just order some so I will stop racking my brain about it

Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
OK, thanks for the info. From what I'm gathering, unless you are doing lots of track days....or just like the look of a lowered car with the loss of comfort....lowering springs don't really get you much when it comes to a daily driver.

So who's got the best deal on FSD's right now? I need to just order some so I will stop racking my brain about it
I know what you mean about having to order something so you can stop thinking about it! I did the same thing with ST Coilovers.

Not sure who has the best pricing, but Way has them for $714 and I've never heard a customer say anything negative about WMW

http://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-fsd-shocks.html

Old 01-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
ever seen the episode of Top Gear where each of the three guys bought a used but similar BMW for side by side testing. In short one bought a lowed car and the conclusion was an amateur lowering job was just about the worst thing anyone could to to the handling of a car.

My first trip to the Dragon I offered the extra beds in my cabin to folks I did not know and one ended up being a guy who'd just previously to departing for MOTD lowered his car. While there he spend time with one of the on site vendors to try to determine 'what was wrong' cuz the car handled like c*r*a*p . . . . . I rode it it (to take a video) no doubt in my mind, my stock S rode WAY better (even on runflats)

Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
I know what you mean about having to order something so you can stop thinking about it! I did the same thing with ST Coilovers.

Not sure who has the best pricing, but Way has them for $714 and I've never heard a customer say anything negative about WMW

http://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-fsd-shocks.html
I love Way to death, ordered from him 5 times I think in the very short amount of time I've had my car, but in this instance, I'll have to suggest Motoringwerks because they have Koni's on sale right now:

http://www.motoringwerks.com/p-3674-...sd-shocks.aspx

$620 plus shipping should come out to less than $650 shipped for FSD's. They have Koni Sports for $20 more.

Capt bj: I have to agree there, an amateur lowering job can make the car ride/handle like crap, especially for some people who like to get the lowest springs possible and toss them onto high mileage stock struts. However, the approach the OP is taking with getting new upgraded shocks and considering lowering springs is not what I would consider an amateur lowering job. I don't agree with pairing FSD's with lowering springs (and hear Koni won't warranty your shocks if they discovering that being the reason for failure), but Koni Sports with a good set of performanced based lowering springs will improve the cars overall handling.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IQ raceworks and myself are at the same point of susp. work.

I've a '03 MCS and have just ordered New tyres, Conti Extreme Dw (205/50/16) on stock R84's. I'm having H-sport Comp. rear sway bar, H-sport adj. rear control arms, Koni Yellows installed in the Spring along with springs.

I can't decide what springs are the best compromise for comfort / handling. I don't want it too low, thinking a mild drop of 3/4 to 1" max. H-sport springs have been recommended by my installer. Unfortunately, I've read too many forum posts and left unsure of linear or progressive.

Any help / suggestions from the experienced would be great!
Cheers ED

Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
My thoughts:

1. Dump the stock shocks and runflats (you know this)
2. Only get FSDs if you're sticking with stock or JCW springs.
2. Get Koni Yellows if you are more into handling. They do ride better than stock with stock springs, but are capable of a little more handling. The FSDs will ride better but are a step behind in handling.
4. 1 inch is not mild...that's actually a heck of a lot for this car. Consider that the car is essentially on the bumpstops at rest when stock...being 1 inch into them before moving isn't good. Spring rates spike quickly, the car isn't very consistent, ride quality and handling suck.
5. Don't worry too much about linear vs. progressive because....well see #4. When the bumpstops are a huge part of the suspension it's gonna be progressive no matter what spring you use.
6. H-sport spring's specs aren't that good IMO and I wouldn't touch them. Just IMO, haven't rode on them. Too low, too soft in front.
7. The only springs I would use for this car are: stock, JCW, Tein H-tech (not S-tech, those suck), and Swift. Maybe TSW/WMW springs. The Teins i think are discontinued. The Swifts are promising but the rates are pretty firm. Might be a bit more track oriented than you want.
8. Get IE fixed camber plates. This will honestly do more for improving handling than springs. It will slightly improve ride quality, be more than stock tops, and prevent mushrooming. Do not worry about too much camber unless you drive daily for a looong time on the highway. My tires are wearing perfectly, nice and even and they're lasting a while.

You might have seen me ramble about this stuff before, but I'm reeeally satisfied with my set-up of Koni Yellows, Tein H-tech, IE fixed plates, and 19mm rear bar. A few other toppings but that's the gist of it. The car rides and handles much better than stock. The drop is extremely minor...maybe 10mm...but that's a huge reason why everything doesn't suck.

If I couldn't get the Teins I'd stick with stock, JCW, or maybe try the Swifts.

- Andrew

Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Thank for the info Andrew. I'm 99% sure I'm just going to stay with the stock springs, get the IR camber plates, new tires, and Koni FSD's.

The two things that I'm still trying to figure out is if I want to go with the FSD's, or the Koni Yellows. How do the FSD's compare to stock? I don't want a harsh ride like the Yellows, but I don't want a super soft and non-responsive ride either.

Also....the only thing that bothers me about the IE plates is that they raise the front of the car just a little...and I'm not sure I want to raise it any more than it already is. I guess I can try to trim the mount down a little like I saw on that post a while back....in order to get the front back to the stock ride height.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
That does sound like a pretty good plan.

My car with Yellows does ride better than stock, but a car with FSDs will indeed ride better and I think you should go that route if that's the main goal. I chose to lean towards the sport side of things and I personally have no regrets. It doesn't like it much when I go into Baltimore city over sections of road but that'll happen no matter what. Still, I do not "cringe" as much as I did with the stock dampers when i see broken pavement ahead. On most roads, even in the city, it's more than satisfactory. You do feel the larger bumps for sure. Firm, but controlled and far less of a "crash." No bounce either. I have not ridden on FSDs but have heard that they are not quite as "buttoned down" and you lose some handling feel compared to Yellows. Not sloppy, but just not as controlled. But they do indeed ride a little nicer and will probably still handle better than stock.

A big thing for me is whether I find myself apologizing to passengers for the ride quality. I did this all the time on stock dampers and especially with s-lite wheels. I don't remember the last time I did that with the Yellows.

Sorry, I get long winded talking about dampers.

I can't speak to the added height of the IE plates since I did the springs at the same time. I was expecting about a 15mm drop up front from the springs by themselves and ended up with about an 5 to 10mm drop. Some of that is from the plates, and some of that is from every car being a little different. In the end it looks great with my springs but I can understand it might cause someone with stock springs to hesitate. Worth it to see what it looks like before modifying the strut though.

Good luck! If you were out this way I'd offer a ride.

- Andrew

Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
I have the koni FSD'Sthey are by no means bouncy or overly soft...
The valving is set pretty nicely to still give a good road feel, and remove the biggest jolts...change wise it is on par with runflats to nonrunflats as a comparison....prettt noticable...
or was for me. Good $$ for the result overall. They are considered to be progressive since the valving changes with the size/rate of change of the bump, so a few folk have told me they prefer a convental style for track use. But i don't think i have heard anybody that was unhappy with them...

Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
I have the koni FSD'Sthey are by no means bouncy or overly soft...
The valving is set pretty nicely to still give a good road feel, and remove the biggest jolts...change wise it is on par with runflats to nonrunflats as a comparison....prettt noticable...
or was for me. Good $$ for the result overall. They are considered to be progressive since the valving changes with the size/rate of change of the bump, so a few folk have told me they prefer a convental style for track use. But i don't think i have heard anybody that was unhappy with them...

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the FSD's are pretty good shocks...that's probably what I'll go with. This is a DD car, and will never see any track time. And from what I've read, the Koni Yellows only allow you to adjust the rebound, not the compression....so that doesn't really sound all that useful.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Once installed, you can't acess the adjustment away....
A few folks have cut holes to acess the adjusters on the yellow, buut they are made to set and forget.
With snow, pothiles, speedbumps, i have been happy with the choice of keeping the stock springs...keeps the car much more wife/kid friendly too.
Similar look woth getting the tires to fill the wheel wells can be done with slight tire size adjustment....

Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just say NO to WHEEL GAP !!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Yeah, I'll pass. I'll take my slight wheel gap and my excellent handling and ride quality. Some of us don't think a really low car looks very good anyway. But hey, different strokes and all that.

- andrew

Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
ACallahan,

Can you comment on your impressions of your H-Sport Springs.
Comfort, durability, handling?
Ed

Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
Andyroo,

Wasn't there an issue about 6 months ago about a quality control
issue with the TSW spring. I think I read it here on NAM, thread just faded away as many do without a resolution. Front springs actually raised the front end or stayed the same and dropped the rear!

Anybody have information on this?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
I don't know if Way has resolved it, but it was due to a bad batch of springs. I believe he had stated that he had since gotten a new batch in. This was one of the only reason I chose Swift Springs over the TSW's.

I'm pretty sure if you shoot him a PM or an email he will confirm rather quickly.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
blue2turbo,

Are Swift sport springs available for an '03 MCS. Can you recommend
a supplier?
Thanks Ed

Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
Well mine are on an 06' MCS so I don't see why they wouldn't work for yours as well. I got mine here:

http://fortune-auto.net/

They aren't listed on the site, but shoot an email to Terry on their contact page. They are great people, they worked with me to get their coilovers produced for Toyota MR2's and I had the very first set. Great products, they also have Mini Coilovers, which I'm guessing NO ONE has, but I am considering later down the road parting with my soon to be Koni yellow/Swift spring setup and trying out their coilovers.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
Thanks blue2turbo,

While I was going to go with the H-sports originally, then decided that the TSW would be the better alternative, guess now that the Swifts are at the top of the list. They are going to be installed with Koni yellow and a new set of non-runflats, H-sport comp sway-bar and H-sport adj. control arms.
I'm expecting a firmer ride but hopefully not hard and uncomfortable.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Thanks for all the info guys!

After reading what you guys posted, I decided to keep the stock springs and ride height and order a set of Koni FSD shocks, and IE fixed camber plates. I can't wait to install my new LCA bushings, LSD's, and camber plates! It's going to feel like a new car!

Quick Reply: R50/53 To lower not not to lower......?? What do you think?