R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 First time Mini Purchasing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
FishMan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time Mini Purchasing Advice

Hi,

This is my first post so pardon my ignorance.

After a car accident, my wife and I went car shopping. We were looking around and out of curiousity asked what the cost of a 2005 Mini S was - they listed at $16,995 - out of out budget. Long story short, after leaving the dealer the car salesperson came out saying they would sell the Mini for 10K . Its a 2005 Mini Cooper S, 6 speed manual with 86K miles, leather heated seats, sun roof.

We did not go into this looking to buy a Mini, so I am completely uneducated on Minis. We are currently test driving the car till Monday. They claim the deal is only on the table till then

Hopefully you guys can provide some insight into maintenance costs, things to look out for, if its a reasonable deal (cash price), common problems, ect.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:22 PM
MINI Kapone
2nd Gear
Start here.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lems-issues-9/

I have an 04 MCS, the brakes can be squeaky. I just had the front shocks done, I could have done it myself, but don't really have the time to mess with it. The biggest issue I've had is with the electrical. The locks don't work with the keyless, so I need to get a new actuator.

Other than that, it has been a great car. Fast, fun... If I take it easy I get about 25-28mpg. If I push it I average 23-25.

Things too look out for... Massive smiles and fun driving it...

Old 01-22-2012, 03:28 AM
sujeemini
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the clutch ( it will be tight if the bearing is going out), Power steering pump noise ( it will be a small whining noise when you turn the wheel), Power Steering Pump cooling fan ( it will run a bit harsh if its going to go out), Oil Pan Gasket (this is common on Minis with morn than 80k miles), and Motor and Tranny mounts

Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 AM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Take it in to a shop and have it checked out. Find a mini dealer in your area or a shop that is familiar with Minis. Maintenance costs aren't too bad but repair bills can get pricey. Typically the 05-06 models are the most trouble free but they aren't Hondas. Other common problems are the thermostat housing leaking and the coolant tank cracking. Both are relatively easy fixes. Another is the strut towers mushrooming from hitting pot holes.

Like others have said these are extremely fun cars to drive and the Mini crowd is one of the best car groups around After three years with mine I still smile every time I get in it

Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 AM
minimikeG
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 02 MCS and so Far have replaced all Motor mounts, Bypass valve for supercharger because it was leaking vacuum, no my belt tensioner is worn and it needs a new one.... Car only has 61K It is a BMW so Cost can get up there so if you plan on just driving it or having fun in it ...The maintenance depends on your driving style

Old 01-22-2012, 11:04 AM
minimikeG
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ops... I also forgot to mention Leaking oil cooler housing and clogged heater core...Make sure who ever you are buying the car from did not mix coolants... Make sure the put only MINI coolant in.... Or else the coolant system will become contaminated

Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Blueberry03MC
2nd Gear
this is a really good article to read when you are thinking about buying a used MINI

http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Flyingfrenchman
1st Gear
You should get a compression test and a pre purchase inspection performed by either your local Mini dealer or a trusted repair shop you know. When I purchased my 04 MCS used I had a prepurchase inspection done by the Mini dealer but neglected to have a compression done. I payed a big price down the road as about 8 months later after I had the anti freeze flushed we uncovered a warped cylinder head. Apparently neither the previous owner nor the dealer had bothered to chnshe to anti freeze in some time so it had actually masked the problem until I had the anti freeze flushed and the engine started to misfire.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Please note the advices aren't meant to scare but to guide. Pre-purchase inspection is a sound investment in buying any car.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:05 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Personally, I would be suspicious; thats quite a drop in price, and undermarket, for a 2005 MCS.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:46 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB 67
Personally, I would be suspicious; thats quite a drop in price, and undermarket, for a 2005 MCS.
X2

or buy it for that price and leave about 2 to 3 grand aside for deferred maintenance.

But like the others said, please get it checked out by an independent shop that is familiar with the car.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
My advice for what its worth, if you had a tight budget for a car, I am going to assume shelling out money for upkeep isn't something you would prefer to do.

From my reading and now ownership, Mini's can be very reliable, but only if they recieve the love and attention they need. If you are proactive with them and replace things before they break and have a little bit of mechanical ability, then they shouldn't be a problem.

Most of the major issues to look for are well documented here and have some type of walkthrough available to assist you. I've also noticed that Mini owners are generally much nicer people overall compared to some other car communities I've been a part of and are much more willing to help out.

In my opinion, if you are looking for a car that you can just drive, with little or no thought about upcoming maintenance other than oil changes and an air filter every no and then, a Mini MAY not be for you unless its brand new with a maintenance plan.

I currently love mine, and I recommend them to some of my friends, but I would hate to see others walk into a car they aren't prepared for and end up regretting it or hating it.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Flyingfrenchman
1st Gear
Very well said. I feel the same way about my Mini. Aside from that one major issue I mentioned above its mostly been affordable preventative maintinance ever since.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Bradg33
2nd Gear
I love my 05 MCS. It's a great car, but it's certainly not issue-free. Also, keep in mind that this car is basically a BMW, and parts (and labor, if you need it) are priced accordingly. It's also a somewhat tough car to work on, given that all but the most minor of maintenance can require significant disassembly. I just did a water pump and the ENTIRE front end of the car has to come off.

Also keep in mind that you need to run full synthetic oil in it, which costs more than dinosaur oil.

It also uses performance tires, which are pricey, and if you keep the runflats on it, even more pricey (as high as $200/tire).

Look for strut mount mushrooming.

The thing is (or will be) full of rattles (dash, center console, etc.).

Finally, you will never be content driving behind someone. The car makes you instinctively want to pass EVERYONE on the road, regardless of how fast they are going.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:06 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Try getting a CarFax. That may help as to how many owners it has had etc. My Mini has been trouble free so it is not impossible to get a very good one. Ask them to perform scheduled maintenance. That may turn up any issues before you buy. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
10k is an excellent deal for a 2005 with 86k miles. As previously stated, spend a little to have it checked out by a mechanic before purchasing.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
times
1st Gear
I'm in a pickle with a MCS 05 auto.

Just bought it and it's been to 3 shops, 1 Mini dealership and 1 BMW dealership-- they came back with the best diagnostic, because its been throwing the SES and EML light.

Got it for $14k (tags, title, incl). "healthy and clear"

CV boots needed replacement, didn't know (mini quote $1,200)
Crankshaft sensor needs replacement (bmw quote $460)
Leaks oil pan and valve cover (typical wear and tear)
Broken motor mount...(BMW dealer thinks it was in an unreported accident car has a clean carfax).

I second having the car checked for problems first, run a diagnostic and get the Carfax on the vehicle.

SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE, I'm so sad right now.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 PM
BlueThunder
Former Vendor
Purchase check is a good idea

I've serviced these cars since they came to the market. Best investment would be a purchase check by an independent Mini or sometimes BMW shop. We do both since they are in the same family.
A purchase check is essentially a professional inspection of the vehicle, from front to rear. we have a check list that covers just about anything that can go wrong. The price at most shops would be about 1-1.5 hours of their time.

Typical failure items are: front control bushings, and upper shock mounts. and shocks at about 80k if mounts are blown then shocks are blown.
Check brakes, and tires, axle boots and listen for wheel bearings.
window regulators will crunch and lock up if going bad. P/S cooliing fans, P/S hoses, coolant tanks, Supercharger belt and tensioner, idle pulley. Pressure test cooling system. Naturally try every feature the car has and make sure the stuff works. Check for wrecks, this is misalignment of hood, fenders, bumpers etc. A trained eye can spot a color miss match.

best bet if you really like this car is drive the car to an experienced mini shop and do a purchase check. Typically at 80k you can find at least 1k-1.5K worth of work. and that purchase check is your bargaining chip!