R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Embarassing questions / connectivity

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 AM
WhooHoo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Embarassing questions / connectivity

So I'm new to the site and just got a new (to me) 2006 MCS JCW. I'm totally psyched but have a few (very remedial ) questions about connectivity. The car has Nav and HK sound. (I've tried searching the forums first but am having trouble finding this information for my model/year (R53)).
  1. What is the best way to connect my iPhone for phone calls? I see a "phone symbol" on the multifunction steering wheel. Can I connect via bluetooth and just don't see how? Is there a better solution?
  2. What is the best way to connect my iPhone for music? I've read that DICE makes a module but it sounds pretty crude. I've also read that adding an AUX port works well. Do I already have an AUX port that I can't find?
I apologize in advance for my forum search deficiencies. Please take it easy on me.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
curiously you get the buttons even when bluetooth is not installed . . .

the aux port is still available and super easy to install at around $40
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...pod_mp3_hookup

and there is the GEN1 iPod interface at $250 but as I read the description it is not possible to connect this AND NAV . . .

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...interface.html

topics like this are best researched in the audio and nav section ... down a few topics on the menu
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-and-audio-14/

Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 AM
1ncmini
2nd Gear
You should refer to your owner's manual.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
1. The phone button only works if you install the OEM bluetooth module, which is expensive and complicated.
2. Aux-in is the simplest way, though because you have Nav you can't do the blind install. There is a port in the back of the head unit that the aux-in plugs into. OEM calls for installing the female 3mm(?) plug in the glovebox, so you can look in there first.
Welcome to NAM!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
The dice module is nice and will work with nav, but bluetooth would require a pricey kit

Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Parrot makes a better cheaper kit that can be installled....with an adaptor connected to the button...
several different ways to get audio in....from line in jack to oem/aftermarketvkits...
The oem head is a bit limited in some features/controls....it is basicly the same radio going back to '02....added mp3...but interface is the same....so keep this in mind picking you options.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:34 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by The_iaiN
The dice module is nice and will work with nav, but bluetooth would require a pricey kit
No, the DICE module does not work with Nav. It takes over the Nav screen to display track info and renders the Nav itself unusable. They never resolved the problem. There is only one unit (Intravee) that integrates well with the Nav screen but it has been discontinued.

There is an OEM iPod adapter, and it will work. However, if you think DICE seems crude, the OEM adapter is even more so.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:57 PM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
No, the DICE module does not work with Nav. It takes over the Nav screen to display track info and renders the Nav itself unusable. They never resolved the problem. There is only one unit (Intravee) that integrates well with the Nav screen but it has been discontinued.

There is an OEM iPod adapter, and it will work. However, if you think DICE seems crude, the OEM adapter is even more so.
There is that, but it is easily resolved by selected disk 6 and choosing track 99. I should have clarified that what I meant by "works with the nav" is that it can be connected if you have nav and still offers enough integration to allow you to use the steering wheel/ head unit controls and get preamp audio from the iPod. If you want track info on the head unit, it doesn't do that. However, selective position of your iPod can remedy that situation (and allows you to view album art AND not be restricted to those custom playlists).

Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM
WhooHoo
Neutral
Thanks everyone. You've given me some good new direction to go investigate. Again, sorry if this is a rehash...

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I use this iPod adapter: http://www.usaspec.com/ It works well, but I don't know about use with an iPhone.

If you end up installing an Aux connector, I recommend the factory unit. And I installed mine on the plastic bit that's under and forward of the row of switches in the center. Putting it in the glove box is lame, IMHO.

Also, if you go the Aux route, AND you want to hook up more than one thing to it, there are some great products in the motorcycle world that will help you do that. Here's one: http://www.aerostich.com/mix-it2-multiplexer.html