R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 No test drive before picking up your MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 08:01 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume I'm not alone in this, but my car is at the dealership, and I never got to take a test drive, even though I put my deposit down about 10 weeks ago. Someone messed up the dealer's demo car (Herb Chambers, Boston) the week before - apparently they hit a curb and did something to the suspension, deployed the airbags. It took them forever to fix the car (they said they had to replace the seats since the airbags had deployed???), and as soon as they did, someone bought it. Every time they have had a car come in that doesn't already have someone's name on it, it's sold within a day or two.

So, I'll have my car in a couple of days, and it'll be my first time driving a MINI. I'm finding it hard to imagine what to expect, since I've never had a car even remotely similar. I've had three vehicles, an '88 Integra, an '87 Accord hatchback, and a '95 Geo Prizm, all bought used. The Integra was a lot of fun, but nothing like a MINI, I'm sure. I've driven a '93 Saab 900T and my girlfriend's Jetta, but I've never owned a European-engineered car. I've never had a sunroof, and I'm really excited for this one. I've never even had power windows/locks.

I never thought I would buy a car without driving it first, but all of the reviews have been so glowing and ecstatic that I haven't worried. I think it's actually even more exciting to look forward to this way! Anyone care to share a similar story with a happy ending, just to make my last couple of days even more unbearable?

Old 09-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the MINIs are one of the few cars out there that you could buy by the seat of your pants without a test drive, just by reading all the rave reviews. I was already sold when I placed my order, I just took one for a drive anyways to tide me over until mine came in. And when it DID, I went and copiloted an S with my brother. These things are so hard to get your hands on (not really up here in Ohio, noone knows what they are, a big plus, except for at drive-thrus and gas stations, mwahaha), a blind buy is almost a must.

Old 09-30-2002, 05:07 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
I bought mine without even so much as touching a MINI beforehand. Just knew that EVERYONE in the auto press couldn't be wrong. My 2001 Miata was recently totalled and I needed a new car. Decided this was the best option out there, but there was no dealer setup in my state at the time I needed to purchase. So I bought from TN and I live in OR.

R

Old 09-30-2002, 05:22 AM
Driving_Hamster
5th Gear
As good as this car is and as much fun as everyone says it is to drive, I don't know if I could buy a car without test driving it first. What if you don't like the firm ride? What if your body style just doesn't suit the wrap around feel in the mini? These are all things to consider.

That being said I can't wait for this car to be here, but I have to wait for Jan-March delivery time Besides test driving is fun because you get to beat the car and not have to worry about irritating the engine later on down the road!

Happy Motoring

Old 09-30-2002, 06:47 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Chrisneal, the sunroof will be the big hole in the ceiling that opens and closes when you press the little black button just above the windshield

I did test drive, but it was the worst sort of test drive. I made an appointment at MINI of Peabody and had to take this awfully annoying sales guy (anyone who's been there will know who I mean) with me who wouldn't let me drive on any truly open road. So, we putted around at 40mph in suburban traffic. But, at least it gave me a feel for the car and I knew the automotive press couldn't be entirely wrong about how it would "really" be to drive.

But seriously, you'll have a blast! Now that you (almost) have your car, you'll soon be on the best test drive of them all...driving your OWN car. Enjoy!

Old 09-30-2002, 07:39 AM
mmmark
2nd Gear
What's it like to total a Miata? Were you badly injured. My wife owns a 97 Miata, and we try not to think about it.

Old 09-30-2002, 07:57 AM
WorldChallenge#7
2nd Gear
Bought my MCS without ever driving or even sitting in one. I new if BMW was involved it could'nt be bad. I bought it over the phone from all the way across the country and then had it shipped. Paid MSRP and got it with only 7 miles showing on the odo.

Old 09-30-2002, 09:03 AM
amagnetta
1st Gear
Sat in the passenger seat during the test drive - ordered - had a friend drive it home a few months later,
then spent that whole day learning to drive stick! Glad it was not a mistake!! I'm very happy and ENJOY manual driving!

Old 09-30-2002, 09:25 AM
KPiglet
3rd Gear
I bought my MC without test driving. I saw it...fell in love with it...and didn't have to drive it to know I HAD to have one! My dealer only had MCS to test drive and since I don't know how to drive a standard (no teasing!!) I couldn't test drive it even if I wanted to. I couldn't wait to drive it. It was a little hard to get used to at first (the MC has a different feel than most cars I've driven) but once you break her in...you'll LOVE it!! Have no fear! You'll have a blast!

Old 09-30-2002, 09:36 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
I test drove, but I already had it set in my mind that I was getting this car! If I had not had the opportunity to test drive, I still would have ordered.

Old 09-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>What's it like to total a Miata? Were you badly injured. My wife owns a 97 Miata, and we try not to think about it.
>>

Freaky. Period. Both airbags blew, giving me some powder burns on my arms. But the cabin retained it's form, the rest of the car did not. Couldn't open the doors. Front end was smashed about 3 feet shorter and severely to the left. ). Don't be afraid of a collision in your Miata, you'll be fine. If the crash is bad enough to get you really hurt, you'd be really hurt in just about any car (albeit probablly not in an Excursion).

R

Old 09-30-2002, 01:20 PM
PureSilver
2nd Gear
Chrisneal,
I bought my MCS from Herb Chambers without a test drive too, (BTW...they've been giving that same BS story about the 'totalled demo car' for 3+ months now, that was the'r excuse back in June when I bought mine without a test drive. I'm beginning to wonder if they've EVER had a demo car for test drives)!

But I'm sure you won't be disappointed. The ride is unbelieveable! Like a go-cart on steroids. When are you picking up your car? Tomorrow? What time? I'm picking mine up from a service appt. either today or tomorrow, maybe I'll see you there!

Jsun,
That annoying salesguy at MINI Peabody...Did he have a funky waxed handle-bar mustache? You must be talking about Hrach. Yeah, he's definitely over the top!

Old 09-30-2002, 01:40 PM
jsun
6th Gear
[clip]
>>Jsun,
>>That annoying salesguy at MINI Peabody...Did he have a funky waxed handle-bar mustache? You must be talking about Hrach. Yeah, he's definitely over the top!

Yep, that's him. He ticked off my wife and scared my kids...and they weren't even allowed to get in the car with us (not enough room since he had to come too). I wonder if he'll remember me when I go back for service?

Old 09-30-2002, 01:42 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
>>Yep, that's him. He ticked off my wife and scared my kids...and they weren't even allowed to get in the car with us (not enough room since he had to come too). I wonder if he'll remember me when I go back for service?
>>

He scared your CHILDREN!? That's horrible! Wow. Now I feel fortunate to have had a non-frightening sales person.

Old 09-30-2002, 01:58 PM
PureSilver
2nd Gear
Jsun,
I believe that. I'm a female and he scared me too which is why I ended up buying from Herb Chambers instead of Peabody, (in hindsight, I wish I had just found another sales person in Peabody), but the good news is you won't even have to deal with him at all when it comes to service. Just go in and ask for Gary King. He is awesome! The best service you could ever ask for. He's not only a great service person, he's a big fan of MINI in general and he doesn't even own one! I turned him onto this forum and the roadfly.com forum a few months ago so he's up on service issues before MINIusa even sends out a bulletin on them! He gets his info. straight from other owners like us!

The couple of times I've been to Peabody for service, I haven't even seen Hrach so have no fear!

Old 09-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Vincenzo
2nd Gear
There's no MINI dealer near me, so I took a test drive when I was on vacation in California. I was sold after that. Several things from that experience stood out:

Handling was excellent. Steering was tight and VERY responsive.
Brakes were also excellent. Car stopped on a dime.
Acceleration seemed adequate, but not much more.
Foot pedals seemed too close together for my big dogs.
Doors and body panels seemed heavy, solid, and well-built.
Plastic trim (door handles, glove box door, etc.) seemed really cheesy and lightweight.
Seat adjustment took some getting used to. The salesperson had to show me where the controls were. Ditto on the interior door handle.
I could fit in the back seat, but I wouldn't want to ride there for very long, especially if the person in front had the seat all the way back.

For what it's worth, I'm currently driving a 1965 International Pickup, so that may have made a difference on my impressions of the MINI

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2002, 03:20 PM
2minis
6th Gear
If the dealer can't provide a car to test drive I'd find another dealer

Old 09-30-2002, 07:36 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
>>I assume I'm not alone in this, but my car is at the dealership, and I never got to take a test drive, even though I put my deposit down about 10 weeks ago.
>>
>>So, I'll have my car in a couple of days, and it'll be my first time driving a MINI. I'm finding it hard to imagine what to expect, since I've never had a car even remotely similar.
>>

Normally I'd advise against not taking a test drive; but if you like cars that handle well, and let you "feel" the road, you'll have NO problem.

I went out and test drove a MCS; and the reviews of the car hit it right on the nose. I signed up for the waiting list right then.

On the other hand, if all you'd ever driven were Ford Crown Victoria's...

Old 09-30-2002, 08:04 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>Normally I'd advise against not taking a test drive; but if you like cars that handle well, and let you "feel" the road, you'll have NO problem.

My favorite of all cars that I've driven any real distance is my friend's old Saab 900 Turbo, and honestly if those got better gas mileage I'd probably be looking for as pristine a '93 900T as I could find (I don't like the newer styling AT ALL), rather than waiting on a MINI. The two things that I like most about that car are the great road feel and the responsive (yet substantial-feeling) steering. Both are qualities that the MINI absolutely shines in, if I am to believe a single review that I've read. I guess what I'm looking forward to overall (keeping in mind that I've driven only small Japanese cars) is that heightened sense of actually driving, feeling more like an integrated part of the vehicle and less like someone just pushing pedals and buttons.

>>On the other hand, if all you'd ever driven were Ford Crown Victoria's...

I was puzzled by a coworker's polite-yet-clearly-disapproving reaction to my mentioning buying a MINI, and then he told me that he had "come this close" to buying a used Crown Vic this summer! We basically just agreed to never discuss automobiles again...

Old 10-01-2002, 06:43 PM
Nolan
2nd Gear
I test drove a MC, then bought the MCS without test driving it because they didn't have one to test....I assumed there would be a big difference in performance...there wasn't...but that is a function of the low end torque which neither car is terrific at.......regardless of turbos, superchargers, there is just no subsitute for cubic inches, liters, etc...lol! I suppose the japenense have maxed out these small engines, but the Germans still love the big engines as demonstrated in the marketing of the Porsches, Bimmers and Benz....shame the Mini didn't use a Japenense engine instead of the Chrysler because I'd love to drive one with 225 hp plus and see how it handles on the track....cheers!

Old 10-02-2002, 07:40 AM
billyg
3rd Gear
there is always a limit to how much horse power you Want and how much you really need and will use. Now at 225 horse power it would be alot of fun...but cars are more than about a bunch of horse power..i have had both...ones with alot opwer and sorta fun to drive and then ones like a vw GTI that was a blast to drive but low in stables, and i think of the cooper "S" the same way..alot of fun to drive..and really, it does have a large power advantage over a cooper, but then again this is just my oppinion. :smile:

Chezzy pezzy

Old 10-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Dragonfly19
1st Gear
I must admit, it was with a lot of sighing and trepidation that I slid behind the wheel of this absolutely precious car that was already signed sealed and delivered and I had never driven one before!!!! I was scared, but, unlike many others on this site, I would have had to travel hundreds of miles in order to test drive one, I flew 600 miles in order to pick her up! However, I lived in Europe and knew how reliable they have been for years. I still shake my head when I realize that I bought this car without test driving it, but now, two months later, NO REGRETS! She's everything I dreamed of and more!

Old 10-02-2002, 04:56 PM
dgedalecia
1st Gear
I'm betting that the MINI will be better than you expected. I test drove one before I bought mine, but after I took delivery, the driving, errrh "motoring," experience just got better and better. It just grows on you. Let us know how the experience hits YOU!

---------------------
Chili Red/Black MC

Old 10-06-2002, 06:14 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
WOW. I don't even know where to begin. What an incredible car! I picked it up on Thursday night, and left Friday to go to Cape Cod for the weekend. I could barely even fall asleep Thursday night because I was so excited. I took mostly non-highway roads down there and back (for the sake of the break-in), and had a blast. Today was some fantastic sunroof weather. This car is so far beyond anything else I've driven that I still can't believe it's mine. The twisty back roads were a great time. The ride of the car was even better than I imagined; even train tracks were not much of a jolt, and when I had the car up to around 85 on the highway it felt rock solid and sure-footed. The steering and braking are truly amazing, and I love the sound of the engine/exhaust. It's definitely true what people have been saying about nothing else measuring up once you've driven a MINI. It makes every other car on the road seem so boring and uninspired. I can't wait to get out of town again!

Old 10-06-2002, 06:46 PM
Lobo
2nd Gear
I test drove two, a CVT and a manual. I was sold on the manual before hand but drove the CVT out of curiousity.
Both were quick 5 minute test drives in traffic. Is was told I could go where I wanted and for some reason didn't put it to the test.
Well, I bought anyway and picked up on 10/02. I haven't stopped driving since. I'm looking for reasons to go drive. I was a long time motorcycle guy who hasn't had motorcycle in quite some time. I used to love riding bikes. I would go out for hours and ride just for the sake of riding. It was a blast. As for cars, I have always looked at cars as A to B transportation. Not anymore. My Mini is recreation. I spent saturday driving. Anywhere and everywhere, trying to gets lost. Freeway, backroads, city streets, didn't matter. Sunroof open, windows down, tunes cranking. I just wanted to drive. And so I did. The mini has guts, handles unlike anything I have ever driven and is completely addicting.
I can't wait to take the family to Florida this febuary in it. Luggage rack and lots of CDs.
My long winded point is this, I test drove first but never really got a feel for what the car was really like and haven't regretted a single second buying this car. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: R50/53 No test drive before picking up your MINI?