R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Reminder to change your cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:18 AM
xman11
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Reminder to change your cabin air filter and then some

I bought my '02 mcs with 85k miles this week and decided to do a home service. This is basically an inspection 1 and 2 plus some very important fluid maintenance not covered by 1 and 2 such as bleeding clutch, brake, changing coolant, etc...

First thing I changed was the cabin air filter. Took about 15 minutes. Here's a pic of the old one. Yikes!

Also, the air filter was just as bad. The spark plugs (probably original) were not too shabby considering how many miles they weathered.

Attached Thumbnails Reminder to change your cabin air filter-cabinfilter.jpg   Reminder to change your cabin air filter-airfilter1.jpg   Reminder to change your cabin air filter-img_2293.jpg  

Last edited by xman11; 03-27-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Added more ugly pics
Old 03-27-2010, 06:34 AM
MendoMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy to do.....

Just did mine yesterday, same thing for me also.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:24 PM
laxpimp6903
3rd Gear
i will have to check out the cabin filter. Could you post a quick DIY since i have no idea where it is in the car?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 PM
xman11
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 AM
MendoMini
Neutral
Cabin Filter

I did a Youtube search found it there.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MendoMini
I did a Youtube search found it there.
Note that in this YouTube video it says the flow direction is UP. That is incorrect. The flow direction is DOWN and the filter has an arrow on it which suggests there is a top and a bottom and needs to be inserted in the correct direction.

The flow arrow needs to point down. It fits better that way as well. If you need proof of the flow direction just consider where all the dirt is. On the top.

Rich

Old 06-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you change out the FUEL filter too, it is under the rear seat.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Would this be covered under the Maintenance Warranty?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LittleWing
Yes I believe so.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LittleWing
I think Mini says 2 years or 20,000 miles. I change mine every year. It is always filthy. And easy to do.

So, like oil, the Mini intervals for this filter are longer than, what I would consider, reasonable.

But yes, at least one change, possibly two under the maintenance warranty would be expected.

Rich

Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnW94
Yes I believe so.
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
I think Mini says 2 years or 20,000 miles. I change mine every year. It is always filthy. And easy to do.

So, like oil, the Mini intervals for this filter are longer than, what I would consider, reasonable.

But yes, at least one change, possibly two under the maintenance warranty would be expected.

Rich
Thank you!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Cabin Air Filter—Schematic

So after replacing my cabin air filter yesterday, which was filthy BTW, my air conditioning seems to be much more effective. I say that just to get all of you that have been putting off changing it, to do it now at the beginning of the A/C season.

But I also got to thinking which for me is always bad.

The air clearly comes from the top through the filter and into the cabin. Evidence of that is that the dirt is on the top. But if it blows in, where does the air come from? All the vents, of course, have air coming into the cabin as well as do the vents under the windshield and in the top of the dash.

So is the air going through the cabin air filter air that has gone through the heater or A/C? And when you have the A/C on recirculation, where does the air from the cabin go in?

In the old days it was easy. Everything went through the heater box where the A/C evaporator also resided. Then it was into the cabin cold or hot depending. But on our Minis......?

Am I missing something?

Rich

PS-There is no schematic in Bentleys or the Haynes manuals.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Garconis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
So after replacing my cabin air filter yesterday, which was filthy BTW, my air conditioning seems to be much more effective. I say that just to get all of you that have been putting off changing it, to do it now at the beginning of the A/C season.

But I also got to thinking which for me is always bad.

The air clearly comes from the top through the filter and into the cabin. Evidence of that is that the dirt is on the top. But if it blows in, where does the air come from? All the vents, of course, have air coming into the cabin as well as do the vents under the windshield and in the top of the dash.

So is the air going through the cabin air filter air that has gone through the heater or A/C? And when you have the A/C on recirculation, where does the air from the cabin go in?

In the old days it was easy. Everything went through the heater box where the A/C evaporator also resided. Then it was into the cabin cold or hot depending. But on our Minis......?

Am I missing something?

Rich

PS-There is no schematic in Bentleys or the Haynes manuals.
I was under the impression that the air comes out of the vents AFTER it has gone through the cabin air filter. There is air in the car by default, and that air is sucked from the ground up into the cabin air filter, and then it comes out through the various vents. Though I am probably wrong.

But there is a "filter" button on the A/C and Heat control, and I would assume that's what "activates" the air to be pulled back through the filter and into the vents again. But it would also make sense the other way too. So confused.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
One reminder...
The filters are sold in 2 types...
A white, plain filter...
and a dark grey, light black one impregnated with Carbon one that absorbs odors for a few $ more.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:45 PM
TGS
Neutral
I'm new to MINI and want to change my cabin air filter but wonder if it's worth it to buy the carbon ones.

What are some good, reliable places online to purchase these?

What is the average price you pay?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Here are a selection of cabin filters , the carbon ones seem to be the most popular as they contain carbon to absorb odors. Like zippy said.
They all fit some just have different material for the frame. R50 R52 R53 models.
Undo the lid on the passenger side footwell, remove the old one out and slide the one in at an angle and will slide upward. Then close up the lid.

Cabin filter regular:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/64311496710/

Cabin filter - Active Carbon

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/64319257505/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 PM
TGS
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Here are a selection of cabin filters , the carbon ones seem to be the most popular as they contain carbon to absorb odors. Like zippy said.
They all fit some just have different material for the frame. R50 R52 R53 models.
Undo the lid on the passenger side footwell, remove the old one out and slide the one in at an angle and will slide upward. Then close up the lid.

Cabin filter regular:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/64311496710/

Cabin filter - Active Carbon

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/64319257505/

Thanks
Thank you! I will check them out.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome,

When you pull the old one out it can be pretty dirty if not changed for a while. Expect some dirt and leaves to get on the carpet. When you snap the lid back in can be a little tricky just push up the lid and press the tabs back in place.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 PM
brody78
3rd Gear
When you snap the lid back in can be a little tricky just push up the lid and press the tabs back in place.
Haha.... Yes take this advice, I broke one of mine being too impatient.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome.

Taken them off many times to sore fingers. If you bust the clip in part of the tab on the lid side, front or the rear then you have to replace the lid. They snap in very tight.

#3 Cover For Microfilter Housing 64311497542

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/64311497542/

Thanks

Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by TGS
I'm new to MINI and want to change my cabin air filter but wonder if it's worth it to buy the carbon ones.

What are some good, reliable places online to purchase these?

What is the average price you pay?
We sell both the carbon and non carbon versions. I personally like the carbon even though they are a few bucks more as they smell better over time. We also recommend replacing them once a year.

I could take pics of some we've replaced but you might get sick. Especially if you're a smoker it will scare you to think of what your lungs look like if the filter looks as bad as many I've seen.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Salbotehcow
1st Gear
I got my car used with 30k on it, I was thinking the A/C felt weak coming out the vents yesterday. I guess its time to place an order at WMW, lets see what else can I talk myself into....

Old 06-28-2013, 06:16 PM
mgrant
3rd Gear
should be doing this next week when the parts arrive ... I to have noticed the lack of air coming out of the vents

Old 06-29-2013, 02:24 PM
LittleJoe
3rd Gear
My car had a bad smell. It finally occurred to me that I needed to replace my cabin air filter.

I did the job about 2 weeks ago. It made the smell almost go away completely and I get at least twice the airflow out my vents!

I bought my 2006 MCS with 99k miles on the clock. I'm guessing the cabin air filter had not been changed in at least 50k miles. It was completely clogged.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You are welcome,

When you pull the old one out it can be pretty dirty if not changed for a while. Expect some dirt and leaves to get on the carpet.
Ha ha, when I did mine after buying the car I had acorn pieces, leaves, and clumps of what looked like... ah nevermind, it was DIRTY!

In addition to what has been posted here, I recomend taking a damp rag and wiping as far inside the filter housing as you can reach. I did this and the rag came out black and nasty.

This was my filter when I got the Mini(old one was carbon new one was non carbon but you can see all of the crud on it still):

And my brand new floor mats after pulling the filter out:

Last edited by 04_Indi_Mini_S; 06-30-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Reminder to change your cabin air filter