R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 If you can't say anything nice, just don't say anything.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 01:05 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-25-2002, 01:15 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S Drivers RULE !! Cooper Drivers SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait...I drive a Cooper.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:17 PM
VerucaSalt
>>S Drivers RULE !! Cooper Drivers SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>Oh wait...I drive a Cooper.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:20 PM
FatBob
2nd Gear
Mello - Mello - Mello
Remeber its only a web site. Some people just need to feel superior for whatever reason. They have'nt outlawed Coopers or Automatics as of yet. Just enjoy what you like and stop being so upset.

FatBob
Dare I say it?
Electric Blue (elitist color) S.
P.S. the S must be for Snob

Old 09-25-2002, 01:24 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Well, in defense of S owners....this car is so amazing it's hard for it to NOT go to your head.

R
Non-Snobby MCS Owner who welcomes MC owners

Old 09-25-2002, 01:27 PM
VerucaSalt
I am not saying EVERY S owner does this....there are just some that have said some stuff that made me feel kinda crappy.

Now let's all just get along....hey we can make fun of the Pontiac Aztec......any Aztek owners on here??

Old 09-25-2002, 01:31 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Maybe that's what Nolan is driving nowadays

Old 09-25-2002, 01:45 PM
C4
Banned
Probably Nolan is a Toyota or Honda owner......an Aztek is too much car for him to handle

Old 09-25-2002, 01:52 PM
JohnW
4th Gear
Nah, no car is good enough for Nolan

Old 09-25-2002, 01:53 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's times like this that I have something to say to the snobby "S" drivers.

I read from Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, where Yukon Cornelius says:

"Even among misfits you're misfits."

Poor Rudolph and Hermie. Not even wanted on the Island of Misfit Toys.

Well I for one, am PROUD. Yes PROUD to be a Rudolph among you.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:54 PM
VerucaSalt
>>It's times like this that I have something to say to the snobby "S" drivers.
>>
>>I read from Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, where Yukon Cornelius says:
>>
>>"Even among misfits you're misfits."
>>
>>Poor Rudolph and Hermie. Not even wanted on the Island of Misfit Toys.
>>
>>Well I for one, am PROUD. Yes PROUD to be a Rudolph among you.
>>

Cute

Old 09-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Minigirl
3rd Gear
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have gotten the "oh it's only a cooper, not an S" snotty statements too. It is a bit irritating because some of them imply I was being cheap by getting "only a Cooper". That is simply not the case or I would have not opted for all 3 packages, leather, chrome, etc. I just couldn't feel much of a difference between the S and the 5 speed manual, and if it is a difference I can't notice, then it is a waste of money in my opinion. I didn't really care for the CVT, but that is me. It is not a bad thing, and I am not bashing the CVT, it just wasn't for me. That is the beauty of the MINIs--you can get about a million different configurations to suit your taste. What ultimately matters is we love our little MINIs. (even if they are ONLY Coopers)

P.S. I also hate when people call Coopers base models. There is nothing base about my Cooper! She is awesome!!

Old 09-25-2002, 01:58 PM
VerucaSalt
>>P.S. I also hate when people call Coopers base models. There is nothing base about my Cooper! She is awesome!!

Yes......a BASE model of something is one with NO OPTIONS. A Cooper is not a base model for an S. An S with no options is a base model S.

Old 09-25-2002, 02:01 PM
Minigirl
3rd Gear
>>>>P.S. I also hate when people call Coopers base models. There is nothing base about my Cooper! She is awesome!!
>>
>>Yes......a BASE model of something is one with NO OPTIONS. A Cooper is not a base model for an S. An S with no options is a base model S.
Right on Sister!!

Old 09-25-2002, 02:10 PM
C4
Banned
OK, I own a "Stock" Cooper with only 2 options (CVT & MFSW) and no packages.

The more stock the MINI is the more appealling I find it to be....

Old 09-25-2002, 02:16 PM
JohnW
4th Gear
I prefer my MC to the MCS...

As far as I am concerned, the "S" is just another option. :smile:

Old 09-25-2002, 02:23 PM
davequick
2nd Gear
>>So why is it that some people on here have to be SO snobby?

People will always be that way for whatever reason.

You could always counter that an MCS w/17" runflats will be smoked by a MC with stock non runflats in auto-x. You're talking a huge dif. in unsprung weight (that unsprung weight is a huge disadvantage for the S), less weight overall (121 lbs lighter in the cooper vs. the S - take out spare, etc. vs. MCS w/no spare to take out and a supercharger to make weight advantage even better).

Some people consider the supercharger hood scoop ugly as sin.

And CVT is a cool piece of technology when you look at it for what the technology is and does. I haven't driven one yet, but I imagine I'd be even more into it if you can put it in a mode that DOES NOT simulate traditional gears and you could have it just keep the car at peak torque/power and vary the gear ratio. If it can do that, the CVT rocks in my opinion because it's a cool advance in automotive technology for automatics. If you break your left foot or right arm you can still get to work, right? :smile:

-Dave "my S is scheduled for production on the 27th" Quick

Old 09-25-2002, 02:29 PM
Vincenzo
2nd Gear
Life's too short to worry about what other people think. There's always someone who is going to try to one-up you, no matter what. Chalk it up to their own insecurities, not yours. The best thing is to not even play that game.

I ordered "just" the Cooper and with hardly any options. I think even the base model is nicely equipped and I didn't see the need to shell out more cash for options that I've lived without for all these years. But that's just me.

Old 09-25-2002, 02:39 PM
C4
Banned
>>>>So why is it that some people on here have to be SO snobby?
>>
>>People will always be that way for whatever reason.
>>
>>You could always counter that an MCS w/17" runflats will be smoked by a MC with stock non runflats in auto-x. You're talking a huge dif. in unsprung weight (that unsprung weight is a huge disadvantage for the S), less weight overall (121 lbs lighter in the cooper vs. the S - take out spare, etc. vs. MCS w/no spare to take out and a supercharger to make weight advantage even better).
>>
>>Some people consider the supercharger hood scoop ugly as sin.
>>
>>And CVT is a cool piece of technology when you look at it for what the technology is and does. I haven't driven one yet, but I imagine I'd be even more into it if you can put it in a mode that DOES NOT simulate traditional gears and you could have it just keep the car at peak torque/power and vary the gear ratio. If it can do that, the CVT rocks in my opinion because it's a cool advance in automotive technology for automatics. If you break your left foot or right arm you can still get to work, right? :smile:
>>
>>-Dave "my S is scheduled for production on the 27th" Quick
>>

Dave, excellent points!

Old 09-25-2002, 02:59 PM
Brownielocks
3rd Gear
L. Mini,

There's no need to defend your Mini style IMHO --- especially to words on a computer screen.

Old 09-25-2002, 03:00 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I had one of the first Coopers to come into the country and I loved it. I brought it in for service and test drove a Cooper S. I now drive an Elec.Blue/White Cooper S. I love them both but if I had to pick a favorite.....like picking a favorite child. I do know I miss the Cooper when I bring the Cooper S in for gas.......

Old 09-25-2002, 03:27 PM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
Thank you L.Mini for your post. I thought I was the only one troubled by the insulting comments and remarks I have seen on this site in recent months. I unfortunately feel that the purpose, tone and attitude on this site has TOTALLY deterioriated in the last few months. I originally started coming to this site to find out info on the car, problems, and pertinent experiences about owning the car, etc. This was especially so because BMW/MINI is sooooooooooooo bad about communicating any info (I'm still waiting for a notice on my shift linkage). I now only check every few weeks to see if some info has been posted but, all I seem to ever see is BS about the S being better, my color is cooler than yours, I'm not rich enough to buy what my friends have bought (I still don't get the point of that thread), I got a better price than you, etc. I got one guy who posted that I was a fool for paying over MSRP. I paid that price 'cause I had the opportunity to trade in another car, get out of an expensive lease and saved money in the long run but, what the f@#(*&@K business is that of his and to make direct, personal, insulting comments. Is that the point of this site? Unfortunately, it seems to be headed in that direction and no longer staying in the direction of the (self proclaimed) definitive source of Mini info. It is fast becoming an ill tempered "personals" chat room. :???:

Old 09-25-2002, 03:29 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
Can't we all just get along?

After all, we are all Cooper brethren in some form or another (even those of us whose Cooper has not arrived yet)

Old 09-25-2002, 03:38 PM
VerucaSalt

>>And CVT is a cool piece of technology when you look at it for what the technology is and does. I haven't driven one yet, but I imagine I'd be even more into it if you can put it in a mode that DOES NOT simulate traditional gears and you could have it just keep the car at peak torque/power and vary the gear ratio. If it can do that, the CVT rocks in my opinion because it's a cool advance in automotive technology for automatics. If you break your left foot or right arm you can still get to work, right? :smile:
>>
>>-Dave "my S is scheduled for production on the 27th" Quick
>>

Yes the CVT does have a function in which it keeps the car at peak torque while accelerating. (The sport drive mode). Speed increases...rpms stay the same.

L.Mini

Old 09-25-2002, 04:24 PM
KPiglet
3rd Gear
Keep smiling L. Mini! I have a Cooper and would never dream of trading her in for an S. It's just personal preference, but I like the look of the Cooper better (I'm not crazy about the bonnet on the S.) Some people will always be snobs...enjoy motoring in your Cooper!! Remember, you could be driving a PT Cruiser! he he he he!

Quick Reply: R50/53 If you can't say anything nice, just don't say anything.....