R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Atlanta area Mini dealers.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 07:09 AM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to Global Imports Mini this weekend for a test drive. Anyone in the Atlanta area that's had experience with them...... Just curious if they too are taking part in the gouging effect.
Thanks for any input.
SW

Old 04-25-2002, 11:49 PM
miket
Neutral
I don't know if you've made your trip yet, but I went to Global Imports this afternoon. I don't know what you consider 'gouging' but I was told GI's markup on the Mini is $1000. I haven't contacted Hank Aaron Mini yet, but I've heard their list is longer than GI's.

As far as the experience, everybody at Global Imports was great. I got to drive a Cooper S but only down Interstate North and Windy Hill areas It was a blast to drive though. I expect to be putting my deposit down next week once I finally decide on options. I can't remember a car that I've driven that was more fun than that Cooper S!!!

Old 04-26-2002, 10:19 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
Hmm, well, I can tell you quite a bit about my experiences at Global and Hank Aaron. When I first found out that Global was upcharging Mini's by 10% and S's by 15%, I knew I woudl not be buying from them. I found their Mini Reps rude (except Karen) and not helpful. I finally got to test drive an S there - but it was short. Karen has always been helpful and honest, but the upcharge is not my style. Global even called me to find out how my experienec was and let them have it, etc.

Now Hank Aaron is completely the opposite - I have been speaking with Jeff Nocholas for some time and met Marty back on 3/21. Nice guys - no markup and their GM, Sid Baronm, is super cool.

I placed my order with Hank Aaron not too long ago and they will be more Mini's than Global (I suspect) - they have a GREAT relationship with the Mini distributor, etc.

I would shoot for Hank Aaron - even if the list is long, there is sure to be duplicates on the list. Go with Global if you don't mind the markup.

I was originally ordering an S until I drove it a few times - not as fast as my Supercharged Miata - the Mini is pretty peppy alone.

-Peter/Atlanta

Old 04-26-2002, 10:31 AM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
My experience was exactly the opposite.....hmmm
I tried to get in touch with someone at Hank Arron with no luck. They put me on hold forever!!
I called GI and set up a time to go see it. I've now been there twice and had good service both times. They told me that the only up charge is if you don't put a deposit down and that is for the allocated mini's. With a deposit of 1k they promised delivery by mid to late sept.(of an S) with options that I want at MSRP.
The only thing that disappointed me was the short test drive.

I'll have pics that I took at the dealer up in the gallery in a week or so.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
My sales rep. was Laurie Coggins. Very nice.
SW

Old 04-26-2002, 12:43 PM
Ninedriver
1st Gear
Our experience with Hank Aaron MINI has been great. They are kind of hard to get on the phone because they are always with customers! We have a silver and black Cooper arriving within the week and are on the Cooper S waiting list. (Both at MSRP without costly add-ons!). We have been very pleased with both Marty Martino and Jeff Nicholas. Marty is a true MINI fanatic and really enjoys talking about the car. We got a test drive in both a Cooper and a Cooper S with no appointment and were not rushed through the drive. So far, we have NO complaints!!

Joe
Newnan GA

Old 04-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Sounds good. I may go check them out sometime.
Also I may call GI on there gouging. I'm kinda curious now why they
seem to have this reputation. I really hope they're not saying one thing and then doing another! I'll let you all know what I find out.
SW

Old 04-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Ok.... Well after fallowing up with GI's They are charging a 10% markup!.... errrr.
The girl I talked to had no problem telling me that it was a common practice and that several dealers were doing so! I guess then I will be visiting Hank Aaron Mini sometime in the near future.
They did try to backpeddle a bit by saying that if a sales person told me that there was no markup then that is the way it would be. I think personally I wouldn't want to support a dealer practicing in this behaiver. So i guess the search is on.
Good luck all and thanks for making me aware of this.
SW

Old 04-28-2002, 06:43 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
I just went and took my first test drive yesterday - it was so much fun! Global Imports told me over the phone there was a 10% markup over MSRP - Karen said that was on both the Cooper and S. Jeff at Hank Aaron was pretty nice - not pushy like most car salesman, but what do they have to be pushy about, right? :smile: I'm on lthe list - curious, does anyone know exactly how long the wait's going to be for a customized S? Jeff told me there were "tons of people on the list" - attributing it to Global Imports 10% markup. I'd like to know just how long it will take before I get to order my MINI??????

Old 04-29-2002, 07:58 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
Well - here is teh scoop.

But first I want to reply to Sfiveten - I dont want you thinking I am anti-GI. I have been dealing with them since Nov '01 and I have not really had a great experience with them since. The Mini rep (long ago - forgot his name) was fired for stating in Autoweek that GI will have mark-ups on the new Mini - period. I will have to find that link of the article - but from that point on, I was kind of jaded over GI and their mark-ups. All I can say is I told you so

Old 04-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
"All I can say is I told you so "

hehe
You did. But, only because I was misinformed by GI.
It seems that they don't have much organization there. Lack of knowledge of the car, lack of knowledge of their own practices, etc. Either that or like you said they try to reel you in and then string you out.
They have told me twice now that delivery on the S would be late Sept. to mid Nov.
I'm not sure what to think of that other than either they've got less people on their list. Or, they are trying to get people locked in and then break the bad news sometime down the road.
Either way I've still decided that I'm not going to support a dealer that is doing this type of thing. I will be looking into HA and MINI of Nashville. HA seems to have a good rep. but the wait is forever. MINI of Nashville is due to open in June. So maybe the list will be a little smaller.
I've got time and only time will tell.
SW

Old 05-06-2002, 06:53 AM
miket
Neutral
I finally got the chance to make the trek outside the Perimeter (what a different world!!!) and visit Hank Aaron MINI. Jeff is an excellent resource and knows his stuff. If you plan on utilizing Hank Aaron for your MINI acquisition, I HIGHLY recommend asking for Jeff. Test driving down in Union City is a lot better than at GI as well. GI only takes you up Interstate Pkwy, Windy Ridge, and down Johnson Ferry......yay. Interestingly enough, with Music Midtown being this past weekend, the person who drove the Cooper S before me was Bruce Springsteen! The experience was wonderful, and I walked away with a deposit receipt and an anticipated December delivery.

NOTE: HA includes floor mats ($94) and the CD changer (~$650). Sure, it's cheaper than the 10% markup GI was charging, but I wasn't intending on the changer. Oh well, I'm sure I'll like it better in the long run. I also witnessed some questionable practices at GI that I don't agree with, it only reinforced my decision.

BluePotato: Since you mentioned it, I know for a fact that GI will refund your deposit. I thought I'd have a backup plan just in case, but decided to stay exclusively with HA.

Looks like we have some good Atlanta representation here. Any plans for an Atlanta chapter of the MINI Owner's Group (if it even exists yet)? I'm always looking for excuses to drink a couple beers and talk about my MINI :smile:

Old 05-06-2002, 09:19 AM
shkeller55
2nd Gear
Has anyone tried Century MINI in Greenville, SC? They're open now (per MINIUSA's web site) and closer than Nashville (3 hours to Greenville, 5 to Nashville from where I live).

Old 05-06-2002, 05:52 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
I originally put my name on the Hank Aaron waiting list, but I never got a clear answer from Jeff on how long it would be - which I understand since not much information was available to the dealers yet on the S deliveries. When I called back saying I might reconsider and wanted to know my exact # on the list, Jeff was quick to tell me he could get me in an S by July - which I thought was odd since he told me before they'd go through the list to sell the pre-spec S's they get in. I have now changed my mind - and I can't get him to call me back to tell me how I'll get my $1K deposit back! John Lloyd is the guy I spoke to; very responsive and very helpful. I haven't been up there - won't until I get to drive home in my MINI!

Old 05-06-2002, 05:55 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
Hey shkeller55 - I called the dealer in Greenville but never got a call back after leaving a message. Like I said in the post below, I found the Memphis dealer - which is now taking orders - to be very helpful...it does taint my opinion since I'm #80 on their list :smile: John Lloyd has been the one I talk to - tell him Karen sent you Just kidding...he has been really nice, though. And you get the terms in writing.

Old 05-06-2002, 07:58 PM
shkeller55
2nd Gear
On the Mini2 forum it says the Greenville dealer says they sell for MSRP but then tack on $2100 of mandatory items like CD changer, paint protection, dealer prep.

Old 05-06-2002, 08:39 PM
bartleby
1st Gear
I called the Greenville dealer today (5/6) before I found this site. The saleslady told me they add "a package" to all of their cars, and it ain't $2100, it's $2995. Oh, but they do throw in an organizer for the storage compartment. Guess that's where the extra $895 comes in. This looks like a case of price gouging along the lines of what took place when the new Beetles debuted. I suppose it's the price we pay for our wonderful free market economy. I'm afraid I'll be on the sidelines for a while if this is the way all dealers behave.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Welcome to the site.....
Don't give up..... There are some good dealers out there.
Hank Aaron (in Atlanta) from what I've been told is of the best around......
Although for me and at least one other it sounds like they have a hard time returning phone calls.
I would also consider the Nashville location when it opens. Not sure if they are gouging but it's worth a shot.
SW

Old 05-07-2002, 07:58 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
Try out Memphis, TN, too - It's a shorter list and they're selling at MSRP. John Lloyd is very helpful! It'd be a fun drive back to the Atlanta area, too :smile:

Old 05-09-2002, 09:15 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
It is good to see you all are getting what you want - I think we are lucky to be near a cool dealer like HA. But I must say that I cannot get in touch with anyone on the phone there any more.

Our shop is making Mini chrome accessories for the inside of the Mini and we have 2 cars on order there - my partner finally called and demanded to speak with Marty (the guy who normally answers the phone is James) - Marty got on the line and we are very close to getting a build # etc.

I do not know anything about the CD changer and mats - I'll deny these if pushed on me as it was not part of the deal when I put my name on the list.

As far as Mini chapters goes, none has been set up in Atlanta - but there is LOTS of talk now. Something will be happening soon....our shop normally works on Miatas, but we are now expanding our line into a very COOL car line: the Mini. We will have a new exhaust, intake, wheels, tires, OEM parts, accessories and other items that we have done for the Miata. We will also service Mini Coopers and have quite a bit planned.

Keep posting your Atlanta exoperiences (or southeast for that mater) here! It helps us all out.

-Peter/www.rspeed.net

and a 1/2 pinty of Guinness

Old 05-09-2002, 05:59 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
Keep us updated on the chrome bits, The German producer "chromdesign" has some nice stuff but Germany is so far away. Cheers :smile:

Old 05-13-2002, 09:59 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
Yep - that is our stuff. Our sister company is IL Motorsport who is very close to Chrom Design. We actually got everything in stock on Friday - we just need to update our web page so people can order it. We also have an exhaust ready to roll soon as well as some outside chrome mirrors.

Update for me - I got my Prod # today from Hank Aaron! Looking at a possible Mid June build and shipped by end of July - sadly, no Xenons are available on my build. Went with the $500 Sports Susp. Plus option in place of it.

-Peter

Old 05-13-2002, 02:00 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
I heard some people posting on one of the MINI sites(I can't remember which) that they were concerned about the durability of the chrome door handles. (I'm not sure if it is really and issue or not) Have you heared of a real chrome aftermarket handle? Just wondering.

Old 05-13-2002, 02:18 PM
charlesw
Neutral
I drove the Cooper S at Global and I fell in the love with the car fell out of love when I found out about th 10% markup. I then went to Hank Aaron drove the CVT Cooper and I was in love again. I will be honest with you the sales at both GI and Hank Aaron were courteous and helpful but I refuse to 2000 dollars extra for a car if I dont have to. Simple as that.

Old 05-13-2002, 08:09 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
For those of you on a list at Hank Aaron for a Cooper S - what number are you and when are expecting/estimated to place your spec order?

I've asked this question several times and have never gotten a straight answer. So help?????

Old 05-14-2002, 03:17 AM
mini4usa
1st Gear
I have also asked that question and get no response. I was told I'm number 19 for a S.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Atlanta area Mini dealers.....