R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Power steering failed on a 2006 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:40 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering failed on a 2006 MINI

Aug 16.

Back Story

on a normal day motoring with friends I had noticed my power steering going in and out. No matter I thought.
I checked my fluid and I was fine no abnormal noises from the pump...
It was a slight change in weight. Nothing terrible I said ill have to inspect and Consult a mechanic (MiniCorsa...) about it.
That afternoon at about 2:30Pm I was making a left from Pch to balboa In Newport beach at about 30 mph.
The light was green I went thru it being followed closely by a tailgating SUV driver insistent on making the light.
Great im going to get nailed if I slow down...
As I’m making the turn I suddenly lose all control of the car. The steering weights up on me pretty bad and I have full braking going on....
I cannot turn the car in. I collide with the curb. At about 25-30 Mph,
Fabulous. I bounce. I cannot get the car to move. Engines still running cars totally normal aside from the crash damage No airbags no unlock no fuel cut off.
Nothing. I did manage to get it to turn enough to miss the light standard.
So I put my EMG flashers on get out of the car and call the police (I’m blocking) Traffic. Call the insurance.
The front suspension is gone on the pass side as is the Rear suspension I’m presuming the rear followed the front it.
There wasn’t much of an impact I remember feeling but a very loud noise.

My Two passengers and I are unharmed Aside From one bruised foot because she had her foot stupid across my Center console in the rear. (Her Fault).
I get a ticket. A 22350 to be exact for speed unsafe-accident. The officer did not see it nor were there skid marks.

However this is what I noticed... There was a huge puddle of power steering fluid pouring out of the car after it had come to rest. And a thick trail of fluid thru the light BEFORE the collision.
Course as anyone who’s had experience with this fluid on the mini knows it will evaporate.... Great!
I had the hood open at the scene there was no movement to the motor no damage to any underhood parts. The bumper cover was slightly ruffled on the front. And both wheels are gone totally.

My insurance tells the there is 6300 bucks worth of damage done to the car as of right now. This as you know happened two weeks ago.

YESTERDAY!!! Bmw North America calls me and says that they want to comp me a car to drive till they can inspect mine and come back with test results. And that they would take care of the repairs if it was found faulty...
Never mind that a week and a half ago bmws Collision repair (spectrum Collision?) Insisted that a Bmw North America rep would be there Monday. Last Monday... a week ago to inspect the car. Meanwhile Nothings been done to my car.
Being 20 years old when I got to Irvine BMW to get my "Rental" that they insisted up and down they would allow me to have Even with my age. I get to the hertz counter they won’t give me a car.....
I call my contact at spectrum who talks to hertz to tell them to rent the car to my mother and ill drive hers... No. Unpossible...
Later after getting driven back to the collision place by my mother the Guy I was dealing with Brad. Says I was doing you a favor we could have rented the car to your mother and you could have driven it.
So not only are they Ill Informed they are dishonest too.
Great being what I paid for the car and what it takes to maintain the car thru them.

So my Bmw North America Scott is no where to be found. And imp out a car all weekend long.

So I suppose all this is A query for advice on how to handle the corporate machine and A warning to all those with power steering issues. It’s finally caused an accident.

PS: Bmw estimated after the inspection it will take 6 weeks to repair the car? Sound right?

Colin

The latest update from them was That they should have someone in the field within a week From yesterday... to check it out. Till then they know nothing. But they ask that no repairs be completed on the car to preserve the car...
I swear if bmw comes back that their was no failure Im gonna freaken lose it.
after the stunt where i left work on friday for 2 hours as i got jerked off to not get a loaner/Rental.
I dont know if i should insist on one on tuesday or just let it die.
Im Inches from saying pass on the inspection and just fix it.(I think thats what they want)
I miss my car

Last edited by silversmoke06; 08-30-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: update.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
And this is !@#$ing why BMW/MINI should have a global recall on the !@#$ing power steering pump!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:59 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
Agreed. and updated!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Honestly, if anyone was severely hurt, I would have hired a lawyer and pressed charges against BMW/MINI. I'd have the media, NHSTA, you name it, all involved. However, in your case I'd just stick it out a few more weeks and make SURE a BMW field tech. is coming to check out the car. YOU NEED THAT proof for anything that may "pop up" later.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 AM
silversmoke06
Banned
My friend had a bruised foot. My car is pretty much trashed Im very concerned it will not be able to be repaired to the way it originaly drove.
but thats why I asked for it to go to a bmw collision center.
Im not sure if i wanted to get involved in a manner like that being i have no hard evidence of what happened other than my word.
Being 20 Its unlikely that they will trust me.
I still have nothing to drive in the meantime its a true sticky corner.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:47 AM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is scary but the good thing is, nobody is hurted.
Keep us posted on this power steering issue. I thought it was only on 02-03 but it's not.
What else is there? Power windows, engine mounts, mushrooms, yo-yo, dash rattles?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would contact NHTSA & let them know that a power-steering failure on your MINI caused you to have an accident. You hit a curb, but this could have been a life threatening situation. If all of the people who have had failed power-steering pumps would report it to NHTSA there would most likely be a recall program.

Good luck, I hope BMW MINI takes care of you.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:41 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
yeahh

But as you have read so far they havent done much for me so far. other than cause me to lose time at work and make me look bad.
And prove they are dishonest....
Hopefully they do take care of it but it remains to be seen.
Anyone have that number for the NTSHA guys?
BTW i did have the crap motor mount.. I replaced it about a month ago...
And the shock towers may be mushroomed from this. they said they were gonna take all the suspension off and put the car on a jig to make sure its straight.

Last edited by silversmoke06; 08-31-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Cause i Updated!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:23 PM
oneM1KE
2nd Gear
Thats lame.. sorry you are going through that..

Ive had a blown engine due to spun bearing... was out of warranty.. but still fought mini usa... they ended up paying half for a new engine and labor

Just stand your ground.. someone will come through for you!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM
rodH
2nd Gear
WOW, that is too bad. It is a little curious that the cop would write you up without seeing ANYTHING that happened.

Is this power steering pump a HUGE issue?

I just bought a used 03 MCS and have the major service records. One of the invoices for $1616.86 on 03/01/08 where the pump and lines were replaced. OUCH, that is a LOT of money, glad I didn't have to pay it (yet).

Old 08-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by silversmoke06
Anyone have that number for the NTSHA guys?
I Googled this for you...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...cf37490008a0c/

Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
WOW

Im such a fail i should have googled it thanks!

And yes she wrote me a ticket saying that i was doing 25 and that the safe speed was 15 in a left handed turn.. Sure maby thats right with my car in the middle of the road....
I dunno if i can fight it the ticket was for violiating the basic speed law.
i just want to know how much its gonna cost me to pay for.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:51 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Go to court to fight the ticket. If the judge asks you if you were guilty or not guilty, just say not guilty. Since the police officer was not there to witness the accident, they have no proof that you may bave been going too fast. A lot of the time with accidents, they have to issue some form of ticket. I had been in an accident a while ago; I hit ice and hit a guard rail. The officer explained to me that he had to issue me a ticket, but to go to court and fight it. What I explained above was exactly what happened when I was called up. While my experience was all the way over here in MD, it wouldn't surprise me if things were similar in CA, you might want to ask around just to make sure. Know any police officers?

I wish you the best of luck in getting the vehicle fixed, and in a timely manner. Definately pester BMW NA about a loaner vehicle. You are without, and if they plan on taking so long to have your vehicle fixed, they need to do something about your being without your vehicle, 20 years old or not.

Again, good luck!

-Chase

Old 08-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Lippy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chaseabryant
Go to court to fight the ticket.
Yeah, considering your power steering failed... this shouldn't be a ticket situation.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lippy
Yeah, considering your power steering failed... this shouldn't be a ticket situation.
+1

Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 AM
nickelaz
1st Gear
I've had the power steering fan and pump go (1050), along with a throw-out bearing which resulted in a new clutch (1200), rear wiper motor (1400), overheating X2 (890), sunroof leak (2000), new steering column (1108), and now non-functioning front wipers.

I feel your pain.

And yes fight that ticket, I ask a good friend of mine (Police Officer) about that one time. In most cases Law Enforcement Officers have SOP's to follow given certain criteria. In this case given the fact that the car's mechanics failed under normal driving conditions for a Mini Cooper (not a crown vic) that it should be deemed that BMW USA take full responsibility for the situation. A letter from BMW USA stating that the accident was a direct result of the manufacture failure would assist you in fighting the ticket in court - if BMW would ever own up to its name.

I had no luck in fighting with BMW Canada, and Transport Canada came to my house to document the car and all of its problems. Investigation is still under way.

Remember the squeeky wheel gets the most grease.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 AM
silversmoke06
Banned
well it looks like

Bmw may not own up to it or just try to stave me off.
They said they would provide me with a rental car but now they are telling me that they will just provide me with 40 dollars a day if i provide a recipt for it.
and that its my problem.
They still dont know when they will have an inspector their predicted date for it to be inspected has moved back to september 19th...
Am i mad.. No not at all if bmw wasent such a Company. this may not be such a problem.
Say it with me folks i could have had a chevy.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Wow, that is unacceptable. I'd look into an attorney. Even a simple letter from an attorney may speed up the process.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 AM
silversmoke06
Banned
Agreed

I don't know what to tell them it dosent help when i call anyone from my insurance to the bmw guy Scott. I cant get a hold of any of them i winds out to voicemail.
Xymox Nice pick on the colors of your car!
I need a loaner/rental. im not getting around otherwise being they also have my other car....

Colin

Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
So with all of bmws money what did i get. A PT cruiser.
That im paying for up front then they will repay me for it.
im not at all happy.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:46 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would suggest that you have an excellent body shop, not associated with BMW, inspect the car including removing the seats and carpeting to inspect the floor pan for damage. In my 2003 MCS, I hit a curb sideways at about 25 MPH, damaged the rear suspension and front wheel. Initial repair estimate from insurance company was $8000-$9000. However, once I had a good body shop inspect the vehicle they found that the floor pan had been damaged near the seat belt mount. The car ended up being totalled (about $29,000) because of the liability of straigtening the floor pan in that area. I would sure be cautious about Mini doing to much to fix the car.

Also, is your own insurance company involved. You should be working with your insurance and leave it up to your insurance to work with Mini.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by silversmoke06
So with all of bmws money what did i get. A PT cruiser.
Gaakkkk....a PT Loser. The MINI Antichrist. I'd rather walk. I feel your pain.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
Quikmni Please dont tell me things like that Thats not what i want to hear....
I really miss my car as sad as it is to say.
It had a big future ahead of it to propell it to hights like Bryans Rotrex car...
And as A mini/Corvette Fan Im avoiding the pt cruiser at all costs.
I only take it too and from work because my vintage vette has no air con.
Being a front mounted 7L motor its quite warm
Plus im afraid of it being stole keyed and looked at.
Hopefuly they can get their crap together and get my damn car back.
I dont see what good taking it to a Non bmw shop would do me. Being they built the car they are capible of fixing it right.

my insurance company is involved. However the lag time associted with getting this fixed is Bmw is having issues getting me a Inspector out to verify my claim of a failed powersteering system.
Honestly I highly doubt that they will find it to have failed mostly because the will want to cover their A#$
So far their customer care has left me Very frustrated and stressed out.
No one has a date on anything.
Im so mad i just want to eat the cost and have it fixed.
I got my ticket amount today though!
262.50 or traffic school for 319.50

Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 AM
silversmoke06
Banned
Cars been sitting in the same place since aug 16 anyone got any suggustions to get them to move on it. im really annoyed that they havent even touched it let alone moved it.
I just want my car back
what would you do.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:11 PM
brutalsun
3rd Gear
You get pictures of the intersection with the powersteering fluid puddled? Without that bit of proof I think BMW may tell you that you haven't a leg to stand on. It's sad that some makers won't stand by their product.. don't get me wrong I love mojo but if I had the same problems I would be very disillusioned. Fight the ticket... get a lawyer might cost a bill but would save you the mark on your record and is a cheaper alternative to both of your current options. He'll lock it up for a year or more with continuances. Good luck man

Quick Reply: R50/53 Power steering failed on a 2006 MINI