R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Windows & Sunroof Open Automatically at High Temps

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 11:47 AM
johnrrogers
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep my 03 Mini/S covered while at work and twice now on hot days in San Diego I have come out and found both side windows down about 1.5 inches and the
sunroof open just enough to have an opening??? I have asked the dealer and have checked the list of automatic/programable features and could find nothing about this. Has anyone else had this happen?

Old 09-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is new to me! I never heard of this happening nor have I heard of it as an option. This is an option I would not want to have, as it would leave my car vulnerable to rain, theft or vandalism.

Anyone else?

Old 09-02-2003, 12:10 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
New to me as well, BUT:

when I first got my car, I also thought that it occasionally cracked the windows and sunroof on it's own (Christine and not Celeste??). Here is what actually happened:
I had closed the car properly, and upon returning I was clicking the remote to open the car, twice (to unlock boot), and without looking straight at the car, probably pressed the button too long, so that the comfort open feature cicked in and just cracked windows and sunroof. Maybe this is happening to you?
To find out, look at the car when you return, before using the remote.
M.

Old 09-02-2003, 12:19 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second what MG said...

Old 09-02-2003, 01:05 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
And I third it...

But I'm also remembering some thread quite some time ago about remote interference from other, similar, equipment that resulted in random window/sunroof openings.

I *definitely* don't think it would be a feature--unless the car also knows to close it when a vandal or rainstorm approaches. And if it does, then I'm renaming him "Kit".

Old 09-02-2003, 01:09 PM
bbmykal
4th Gear
"And if it does, then I'm renaming him "Kit". "

WOAHH I just thought that too! Let him mange the interior temps for me.

Old 09-02-2003, 02:23 PM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
I'm concerned about a car that thinks for itself too much. We have DSC, temperature control for the A/C and heat and ABS now. It can only get worse. I figured eventually the car would start criticizing your driving and how you care for it. "You're going to fast, Michael." or "I think my wiper blades need replacing, Michael." Nag nag nag....

But we do have a concern here, though. Lets pretend it was some outside interference that triggered the windows to go down. Could it be the same stray interference could, say, unlock the doors? I'm hoping it was a little twitch of the windows from holding the unlock on the key down too long. I think we have a way to do a little problem isolation. I say you do not use the remote unlock feature for a certain amount of time, whatever seems a fair amount of time for experimentation. If it happens again and you know you aren't using your remote, we know we have a problem. If it doesn't happen, go back to using the remote, but only after you take the cover off. If you see it down after removing your cover, and you know you haven't touched the button at all, again, we know we have a problem. If after both those experiments, you haven't seen a repeat of the symptoms, I would think that the issue is an overly sensitive button on the remote.

Old 09-02-2003, 02:55 PM
MiniMac
4th Gear
I was just going to ask about this.

The same thing has happened to me twice.
I thought I must have forgot to roll up my window or bumped the switch when I got out.
I pop the sunroof anyways, so I wouldn't have noticed that.
I tried to recreate the windows by pushing the buttons on the key in different ways but to no prevail.

In Phoenix, it gets very hot. I have had readings of 145 degrees inside.
So, is this an automatic thing or a key thing?

Old 09-02-2003, 11:05 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Hey!!! this sounds familiar... hahha happened in the M5's and i think it was determined to be either u pushing the unlock button too much or its the "auxilary ventilation" which i dont think the MINI has...

read here... read the last two post.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...+automatically

Old 09-03-2003, 06:51 AM
johnrrogers
Neutral
I don't think it was me pressing the key as I noticed the sunroof being up as I walked to the car?? I had thought it could be some sort of signals since I work near the San Diego US Navy base and you can hear on the stereo when one or the ship starts their fire control radar systems! I did do a test of the comfort feature and my windows opened all the way each time. I'll let the board know if it does happen again.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
I don't think it's an automatic feature (unless it's built into the climate control?) since I often have to park in the Las Vegas sun and have never had this happen with Alice. Of course, I always leave the driver's window cracked slightly. I'm told that in summer, if you don't leave a window cracked here, it's common for windscreens to "pop out".

Old 09-03-2003, 12:03 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about your problems with your windows and sunroof. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI and please mention Reference # 1-97938802 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 09-03-2003, 02:22 PM
johnrrogers
Neutral
I don't consider this a problem but I guess it would be a safety feature. We don't leave live things in the car so over heating would not be much of an issue although many years ago in Phoenix I had a package of Pilsbury rolls pop open and almost fully bake in the backseat of a car I once owned!!!

Old 09-03-2003, 02:37 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
It's interesting that MINIDivision reponded here.

I hope they have a solution for you and your MINI.

Old 09-03-2003, 03:25 PM
rob_lewis
2nd Gear
>>I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about your problems with your windows and sunroof. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI and please mention Reference # 1-97938802 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Sorry to hijack your thread, John.

Hey, MINIDivision, won't you get fired for posting on a board that isn't "Official"?

In case you didn't know MINI USA has a lawsuit pending against this very website for using the MINI name. You could get in trouble for being here.....

-Rob

-2003 Civic Si

<i>"Hey, where am I going?"</i>

<i>"And why am I in this handbasket...."</i>

Old 09-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
>>In case you didn't know MINI USA has a lawsuit pending against this very website for using the MINI name. You could get in trouble for being here.....

Just to clarify....there is no lawsuit but BMW has requested that MCO change its name. Given that this is still a discussion in progress I am surprised to see MINIDivison on the site....

Mark

Old 09-03-2003, 06:31 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Whoa! Flashback!

Old 09-03-2003, 06:46 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
(I thought MINIdivision no longer supported activity surrounding MCO? hmmm, strange to see they still care; perhaps an internal mixup at their office?)

Old 09-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope MINI USA does care. My future as a customer of their's is hinging on how they treat their most valued customers: their enthusiasts who participate in and support sites such as MCO!

Now that the world has seen the MINI, I am sure that it is going to inspire some pretty cool cars in the future for us to choose from if MINI continues to actively antagonize their greatest fans. . . sigh. . .

Quite a tangent this thread has gone on!

Old 09-03-2003, 10:20 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>I had closed the car properly, and upon returning I was clicking the remote to open the car, twice (to unlock boot), and without looking straight at the car, probably pressed the button too long, so that the comfort open feature cicked in and just cracked windows and sunroof.
This is exactly what my dealr explained to me today. When you press the "unlock" button a second time and keep holding it down, the window opens, the amount of opening depending upon how long you hold down the "unlock" button. The longer you hold it down the more the window opens.