R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Do they fix the smallest of things?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Needler
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on my way shortly to go get my first oil change (5200 miles) and was wondering if anyone out there knows if they would fix small things, like the coin holder that sits in the cupholder. It fell apart.

Anyone?

Thanks,

barb

Old 08-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:smile: Depends on how busy they are..sometimes if it's something that is a quick fix, they will do it while you are there.....Good luck!

Old 08-18-2003, 09:09 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They may have to evaluate the problem and order a part, but I would definitely have them look at it. I have a battery cover that lots two tabs...I'm going to show it to them on Friday!!

Old 08-18-2003, 09:09 AM
dandp
6th Gear
I just had that fixed with my 25K service. Hopefully they have it in stock for you.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:21 AM
C4
Banned
>>I'm on my way shortly to go get my first oil change (5200 miles) and was wondering if anyone out there knows if they would fix small things, like the coin holder that sits in the cupholder. It fell apart.
>>
>>Anyone?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>barb

Yes anything that you may think is wrong with your car, they should take care of it under warranty. TIP: Always tell your service advisor ahead of time and let him know of the things that you want them to fix prior to your service visit to avoid wasting your time and theirs.

However, the oil and filter change you will have to pay simply because you are doing it before the scheduled interval per the car's computer. Why change it so soon at 5,200 miles? Wait until 10K miles like I did. You have high tech synthetic oil, no need to obsess all over it!

Old 08-18-2003, 09:24 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Maybe this isn't obvious if you haven't had much experience with new cars, but in general anything that breaks when the car is covered under the basic bumper-to-bumper warranty is covered! So if your coin holder falls apart, it's covered. If the lens cover on your license plate light falls off, it's covered. Whatever. That's the point of a warranty.

Exceptions to this are when the owner has somehow purposefully damaged the car/part or "service" items that are expected to fail due to wear (e.g., brakes, tires, etc.). And in general, you can often get even these things covered if the failure occurs within the first year and/or you are friendly and reasonable to the service dept.

I'm always amazed at how fearful some owners are at asking for warranty service. Unfortunately, some bad-seed dealers then prey upon this fear and too-often balk at providing service. Don't let this happen to you. Ask for what you deserve!

Old 08-18-2003, 09:34 AM
C4
Banned
Be warned that when it comes to broken exterior light plastic lenses some dealers like to deny warranty replacement coverage because the damage is due to an accident or act of nature (Rock chip, etc).

Always stick to your guns, but yes most issues should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:38 AM
jsun
6th Gear
^ Ahh, I'm ready for that one though. My license plate light lens fell off due to the fact that I always had to SLAM!!! the boot hatch really hard to close it before they eventually replaced the latch under warranty (upgrading it to the "new design"...i.e., something that worked )

Old 08-18-2003, 09:52 AM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Cooper's got good advice. I'll add that my dealer is going to do my first oil/filter change at my 1 yr. anniversary, this month, under warranty. I only yesterday turned over 4000 miles (I know, I know. I need to motor lots more!) The dealer will not charge me and they will not reset the service indicator so that at 10K, I can have the regular oil and filter work done, also under warranty.

But advise the dealer ahead of time about what you're expecting.

Old 08-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Needler
4th Gear
I just got back from the dealer and it went very smoothly. The coin holder was replaced without a problem.

To answer the question about why I'd get an oil change at 5200 miles and be "obsessive" about it, I'll say this. I've read nearly EVERYTHING there is to read on the topic and decided to err on the side of caution, especially on this first oil change. It doens't hurt much (if anything) to do it, but on the opposite end, I don't want a car 5 years from now wishing I'd given more oil changes. Also, they discovered my car had an open recall on it so they fixed that in no time. Perhaps this brief and easy visit saved me from breaking down on some lonely road someplace in the middle of the night.

Thanks for everyone's tips and advice.

I deal with Rasmussen in Portland, OR and that is one very slick and lovely operation there. They are the best of the best.