R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, what is the best "quirk" about your Mini or the way owning it has effected your daily life?

Mine, well as my Mini is not here, has had me eager to get out of the house once it arrives and go someplace. I've got the urge to "Motor".

Also I've learned more about cars (though I still qualify for the "Girlie..." thread) since I've been asking about mods for my Mini.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:14 PM
red03miniS
Banned
hmm no real quirks

just like a regular car
its fun to drive

the only quirk i can think of is left up for reverse
since i have always have had japanese cars

Old 08-14-2003, 12:16 PM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
I've always been a Motorer, before MINI brought the term back into common useage...

I think my quirk is I can get away with driving harder in this car than previous ones! I love it!

Old 08-14-2003, 12:17 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I hadn't really liked cars in YEARS! MINI revived my "car-nutness!" Tee hee!

Old 08-14-2003, 01:02 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I enjoy my commute much more than I used to.

I enjoy taking "the long way home" more than I used to.

I find I want to go out for more drives (but I never want to park anywhere!).

Old 08-14-2003, 01:20 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't know if this qualifies as a "quirk", but Xanthus, expect to do a lot of talking about this car to people you don't know. If I didn't have such an outgoing personality. it would surely be uncomfortable. Where I am there are only three other Minis, so few people I really seen one and EVERYONE wants to know what it is, how fast is it, do I like it, how's the gas mileage, does the BMW dealership service it, etc.. I don't mind it a bit. Me, I like the attention... Yes, I had a life before I got this car... but life is definately better now!

Old 08-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Cat
4th Gear
I wonder if So California MINI owners get talked to a lot too? Everyone's so blase here I don't know what to expect. I guess I'll be able to handle it, but gee, won't be able to go out looking awful all the time like I do now! LOL! :smile:

I'm waiting for my MINI too and already mapping out road trips on Mapquest. :smile: I plan on doing my all-time fave, a trip to Julian, which I gather the SoCal MINI club has already done. Then I want to drive the San Angeles Hwy, never have, this is the car to do it in...

Reverse is up and to the left?!? OH boy that'll either be an easy switch because I'm sort of dyslexic or I'll be making a lot of mistakes and grinding my gears!

Old 08-14-2003, 01:48 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I find myself eating lots of fish and chips....

Old 08-14-2003, 02:02 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Quirks? Hmmmm.... I guess you'd call pulling the door twice to unlock a quirk, but I don't know as I'd count it as affecting my life. Since I hadn't had a car for about 12 years before getting Peanut (lived in NYC; got her when I moved to SoCal), I'd say just having her is the best 'quirk' of all! I love darting around in my little runabout! And I definitely drive a little more aggressively than I would otherwise.

I wonder if So California MINI owners get talked to a lot too? Everyone's so blase here I don't know what to expect. I guess I'll be able to handle it, but gee, won't be able to go out looking awful all the time like I do now! LOL! :smile:

I'm waiting for my MINI too and already mapping out road trips on Mapquest. :smile: I plan on doing my all-time fave, a trip to Julian, which I gather the SoCal MINI club has already done. Then I want to drive the San Angeles Hwy, never have, this is the car to do it in...
Cat, I've been asked plenty about my MCS! But then, I haven't been asked as much in recent months. I think that the more MINIs there are on the road anywhere, the fewer questions we will all get. There are more and more of them here every day.

I still smile when I see one, tho. I saw three over the past week: two I gave the thumbs up and got it in return, the third I parked in front of on a side street in Hillcrest. It was the same color as mine - EB/W, and to see the two of them together in a random situation was kind of fun!

As for the run to Julian, what route are you mapping? I've got a friend in town this week and I'd like to bring her there. If I can have fun driving it, all the better! I just hope she doesn't get tossed around too much!

Old 08-14-2003, 02:08 PM
RCristiano
5th Gear
My favorite "quirk" so far isn't really a quirk, but I guess not much on this post has been - it was the reaction of my room mate when I showed him the handling capabilities in an IKEA parking lot- he whined that I was getting a chick car - so I scared the bejezus out of him. hahahaha- I just chose my quirk - the lack of a "HOLY CRAP" bar - absent because of the side curtain airbag. Watching him grab at the ceiling was worth the price of entry by itself.

Oh, and another thing is how well a first date went when I took the girl to see Italian Job in my CR Cooper S. HAHAHA

Old 08-14-2003, 02:48 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
I've developed a few quirks since I've had my MINI.

1) started wearing weird hats
2) developed a car wash addiction (it's bad when the guys ALL know you by name and know where your latest MINI adventure has been).
3) drive faster and crazier than I've ever imagined. The need to be doing over 75mph is unquenchable.
4) looking out my window at night to make sure my MINI is still there.
5) wake up in the morning and go to the same window to make sure my MINI is still there.
6) mods, mods, and more mods........before the MINI I thought mod was short for modern
7) I've become friends with people from all over the country (some of them wear weird hats too)
Oh, can't forget the walkaround. Get out of the MINI and instead of going from door to door, I must complete the obligatory inspection circuit around the car at least once.
9) have become a fair photographer. Before the MINI, I hadn't owned a camera in over 10 yrs.
10) talking/waving to strangers ALL the time. I've gotten so used to it, that when I see a pedestrian wave, I assume it's for me. How embarrassing when I realize that their friend is on the other side of the street waving back at them.
11) smiling all the time. Can't wipe this stupid grin off of my face.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:08 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Harmini-- heh, heh... so absolutely true! Sounds just like me.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:16 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
I find myself going out in the garage to just admire the MINI. I walk around it and clean stuff. It's crazy. I've never done anything like it.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Score 1 for good natured happy threads!!!

Old 08-15-2003, 01:24 AM
pooky13
4th Gear
During the first two or three weeks of ownership, I noticed that I was trying to come up with reasons to drive Junior around. Now, I enjoy cruising around and listening to my awesome stereo system more than I did in my last car.

I'd love to take Junior out on a long trip someday. Just any excuse to Motor is fun.

Old 08-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Thrilhouse
5th Gear
Haven't gotten mine yet but I imagine the car itself will be a quirk, I see a MC or MCS in my area maybe once every 5 or 6 weeks...people around here drive nothing but boring American cars....