R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Clutch replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Squadron
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch replacement options?

I'm really glad for this forum, it's been fantastic to hear about all the options out there for the Mini's!

I've got about 54k miles on my 03 MCS, manual, and although I don't feel any problems with the clutch I'm really worried about it. I keep seeing the number 2600 floated around as what it would cost to get it and the flywheel replaced.

So what would my options be? I've heard that in other cars the clutch is something that can be replaced if you have some experience with cars. I don't have a whole lot of experience with manual transmissions, but can generally find my way around the car.

And at this point, performance needs to take a second place to reliability and price at this point. :( So I'm looking for a cheap and dirty replacement.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Squadron
I'm really glad for this forum, it's been fantastic to hear about all the options out there for the Mini's!

I've got about 54k miles on my 03 MCS, manual, and although I don't feel any problems with the clutch I'm really worried about it. I keep seeing the number 2600 floated around as what it would cost to get it and the flywheel replaced.

So what would my options be? I've heard that in other cars the clutch is something that can be replaced if you have some experience with cars. I don't have a whole lot of experience with manual transmissions, but can generally find my way around the car.

And at this point, performance needs to take a second place to reliability and price at this point. :( So I'm looking for a cheap and dirty replacement.
If you're just looking for stock replacement, why go aftermarket? Just get a stock clutch. Labor from most reputable shops will cost 900-1200.

If you want something that's pretty nice, the Clutchmasters S3 clutch and flywheel combo are great, and both can be had for under 1k. Check with Jan for more info .

The MINI clutch practically requires the engine to be dropped out of the car to replace it. It's pretty complicated, but can be done if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, and have a good general knowledge of cars.

Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
If you have little or performance mods done, there's no need to spend $400 or more on a clutch. Moss offers a factory OEM replacement for a lot less:
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=45354
And as far as clutch replacement goes, it gets involved. Quite a bit. If you're one of those "filters, brakes, and fluids" only kind of people, have someone else do it. I'd buy the parts from Moss and take it somewhere to avoid buying parts from them and paying their markup. Labor can run anywhere from $60-110/hour, depending where you go. Bet on the high side for a dealer who's gonna want 7-9 hours labor charge. Not gonna be cheap anyway you look at it.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
The MINI clutch practically requires the engine to be dropped out of the car to replace it. It's pretty complicated, but can be done if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, and have a good general knowledge of cars.
I believe you can do it by dropping the transmission, and that you dont have to remove the motor.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just had mine replaced due to this. It was replaced with a factory clutch kit, however, I'm still using the stock flywheel. I've never replaced it. My mechanic says it's it great shape. MINI might recommend changing the flywheel, but it is not necessary.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 AM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been my experience that you should have the flywheel turned at least, or replaced, if you're putting in a new clutch.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:46 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Some Guy
I believe you can do it by dropping the transmission, and that you dont have to remove the motor.
You can, but there are a bunch of way's to do it. The dealer does it the hard way .

Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Miniacs
It's been my experience that you should have the flywheel turned at least, or replaced, if you're putting in a new clutch.
MCS dual mass flywheels cannot be turned. They have to be replaced.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
since at least the tranny and/or the motor needs to be *dropped out* for this job, would it be advisable for someone who's interested in a quaife to (might as well) do it while the clutch is being done?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Squadron
1st Gear
Cool, thanks!

I'm a bit more involved in the maintenance than just the fluids and whatnot, but as of this point I don't have a proper lift (just ramps), so I'm not going to try anything too intense. The clutch still feels good, but it'll probably be one of the things I'm going to need to replace soon. I'll just take it to a good mechanic in the area (not a dealer) and stomach the price, I think, when I need it done.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Some Guy
1 week before leaving for Vegas CRRIKEY and I both did Clutch / Flywheel / and LSD.
It is a bit involved and the motor does NOT have to come out ..dropped down nut not out. the transmission split and LSD install is easier than you may think (perhaps an extra hour)

One note... & I have never seen any post on this ... Unbolt your exhaust at the cat ...dont JUST flex the flex connector on the header .. the drop needed to be able to line up the trans to enging is right at the point of damaging the flex connector ...it is only 2 more bolts

We did 12.25 flywheels , 4 puck clutch and LSD...
but match your needs to your use

Old 04-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by roaduscarnivorous
since at least the tranny and/or the motor needs to be *dropped out* for this job, would it be advisable for someone who's interested in a quaife to (might as well) do it while the clutch is being done?
Highly recommended you do both at the same time.