R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Euro parcel shelf: what are the issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 06:50 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen lost of people post pictures of their newly installed Euro Parcel Shelves (newly installed for folks in the US that is). It looks like a very nice and useful addition.

However, I have also seen one post on one of these boards (have not been able to find it again), where it was mentioned that dealers in the US were supposed to re-convert any cars with Euro parcel shelves to US specs, supposedly for safety reasons.

Does anyone know:

1) Why US spec cars don't come standard with the Euro parcel shelf (don't know what cars in Canada, Mexico and other markets come with)?

2) Are there differences in safety ratings, or is it just because of some safety rules, and not because of actual differences in crash performance: for example, the MINI was tested for frontal impact in the US and in Europe, and performed equally well in both (thank you MINI!).

3) Is it true that dealers are supposed to re-convert parcel shelf cars in the US?

I really like the parcel shelf idea, but would think about it again if there are crash safety issues, or if I will have to argue with my dealer about it.

Would appreciate everyones thoughts on this,
TIA!
Markus

Old 06-24-2003, 06:55 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
It's my understanding, the parcel shelf doesn't meet U.S. D.O.T. code to prevent submarining in an accident.

Old 06-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>I've seen lost of people post pictures of their newly installed Euro Parcel Shelves (newly installed for folks in the US that is). It looks like a very nice and useful addition.
>>
>>However, I have also seen one post on one of these boards (have not been able to find it again), where it was mentioned that dealers in the US were supposed to re-convert any cars with Euro parcel shelves to US specs, supposedly for safety reasons.

Not true - this bulletin was referring to the "cubby hole" knee bolster that slipped through US production in December. Only 200 cars were brought over with this and because it was installed by the factory and not DOT approved they must be removed. From my understanding you could buy one yourself and have it installed but it would be your risk not MINIs. Of course there really is no risk other than it's not officially DOT approved.

The parcel shelf has no bulletin.

>>
>>Does anyone know:
>>
>>1) Why US spec cars don't come standard with the Euro parcel shelf (don't know what cars in Canada, Mexico and other markets come with)?

My guess is the US has different safety requirements and MINI might have worried it would impact those results. Of course in situations like this my belief is if it's safe enough for MINI/BMW engineers it's safe enough for me. Typically they take much more consideration for safety than the typical American car that meets all these miniscule standards.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:07 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't really figure out how the parcel shelf would be less safe than the plastic piece that comes from the factory. It actually creates quite a bit of extra volume underneath the steering wheel, which would seem to me to actually be safer in the event of a crash where the car could crumple.

I suspect that they nixed it on the American models just to make the interior more symmetrical, which is kind of silly in a car with such space limitations.

I love the parcel shelf! It's my second favortie mod after the exhaust. It is very useful space, as opposed to those doorwells. Youc an actually put some fairly large objects down there, and they don't fall off except under the most extreme driving.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Darksky
4th Gear
And now with the Aux input port, it will be a great place to set my Jukebox.

Old 06-24-2003, 08:11 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
I want one I want one I want one

So how do I get one?

Old 06-24-2003, 08:38 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
I got mine from Brian at Classic Auto Campus (an MCO sponsor) and installed it myself in about 30 mins.

Old 06-24-2003, 08:54 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Cool, I'll check it out!

Old 06-24-2003, 09:34 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Parcel shelf with the AUX PORT installed.......

Old 06-24-2003, 10:23 AM
xbritt
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the parcel shelf come in different colors? or is it one color fits all.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:24 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
One color, all are the same.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:26 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
BTW, when you order your shelf one of the part is the rubber mat I did not like it and costs $24.00 If you want the rubber mat I will sell mine for $14.00 plus shipping let me know.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:48 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Wow, thanks for the great responses everyone, especially Gabe, thanks for clarifying about the exchange issue only applying to the 200 cars that snuck in. My guess is based on everyone's response that the euro shelf should do just fine safety wise, since the euro crash tests are as stringent as the IIHS tests, and the MINI did fine there. I would guess that maybe the US DOT specs call for a full padding in that area, no matter whether a partial padding like the euro shelf would do ok or not. I love MCO!
I think I will try to get a euro shelf soon.
Thanks everyone for the feedback!