R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 HELP! I'm a Road Rage Victim!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 07:29 PM
rudeboy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need some advice on what to do. i was a victim of raod rage today in denver. they threw bolts out of there window at me and they hit my windshield! i have a discription of the car and 3 digits of the plate. the police said they couldn't do anything without a full plate #. what am i supposed to do now?

HELP!

Old 06-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Ken&MINI.com
2nd Gear
Oh man ... That's Crazy stuff .. BOLTS !??!?!?! :smile:

But most importantly, is your Mini O.k. ??

Old 06-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear
Road rage sux!

Hope your car is ok. If you lived in Mexico, I could "pull some strings" for ya...oh well...
Anyway...hope you catch the guy...

Old 06-02-2003, 07:38 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Rudeboy: one of our MINI5280 members is a sheriff's deputy. Send me an e-mail dave@mini5280.org and I'll get you connected up.

Dave

Old 06-02-2003, 07:40 PM
rudeboy
1st Gear
>>Oh man ... That's Crazy stuff .. BOLTS !??!?!?! :smile:
>>
>>But most importantly, is your Mini O.k. ??

yes, bolts! among other things. like shoes and a hairbrush.

the mini is fine!

Community/City Traffic Safety control/ COmmunity people?
i'm not sure denver has what you are talking about.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:49 PM
rudeboy
1st Gear
>>Rudeboy: one of our MINI5280 members is a sheriff's deputy. Send me an e-mail dave@mini5280.org and I'll get you connected up.
>>
>>Dave

i just emailed you.

thanks dave,

rudey

Old 06-02-2003, 08:02 PM
nfo
6th Gear
good luck!
you've gotta love the numerous hook-ups on this board!
we're the best!

Old 06-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Yes people really are out of control lately, aren't they? Maybe it's the traffic. Maybe it's the classes. Maybe it's the white trash inbreeding like rabbits on fertility pills. But's it's rediculous. I'm sorry they physically raged you. Verbal assaults or aggressive driving is one thing, but throwing objects at your becomes more than road rage. That's propelled into a much darker place.

I had a guy the other day come to a complete stop to turn right off a 35mph road. Needless to say he was on a cell phone. Well DUH if I get a bit on your bumper when you come to a complete stop to turn. So as I go around him he turns out and starts driving on my *** all the way to my friend's house. I park in front and the guy squeals to a stop next to me and jumps out ready to fight.

"You always drive like that?" He antagonized at me.

"Do you always come to a complete stop to turn off a major thoroughfair?" I chimed back.

He called me some choice fighting words and I calmly told him how pathetic he was for A) not being able to drive and blaming it on another person, B) having the complete audacity to be trying to antagonize a fight in broad daylight in a residential neighborhood with children playing not 20 ft away and C) for being such a scum feeding waste of human skin that he has to resort to name calling to make his ego inflate back to the overfilled, undernurtured, ready to pop with negativity state that it doesn't know how to come down from.

I turned around and bid him "Good day."

There's nothing like turning someone's anger against themselves. Schmuck. Not to mention I was an arms length away from about 200 hard metal tools. Did I say schmuck?

R

Old 06-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Ken&MINI.com
2nd Gear
Nicely Handled man .... I totally respect your attitude in dealing with those kinda scumbags ! :smile:

BTW.. was he driving a SUV ??

Old 06-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Naw, an A6 of all things! He looked 'roided out, mid 30's. I wasn't going to box him. Woah! I'd lose bigtime. Besides, the high road is much more fun!!

R

Old 06-02-2003, 08:49 PM
rudeboy
1st Gear
>>Naw, an A6 of all things! He looked 'roided out, mid 30's. I wasn't going to box him. Woah! I'd lose bigtime. Besides, the high road is much more fun!!
>>
>>R

my "ragers" were driving a toyota camry. it was the second time i was "raged" on by someone in a camry. is it possible that the camry isn't as good as they say and people don't find out until they have one? then they get angry.

rudey

Old 06-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear
>>Naw, an A6 of all things! He looked 'roided out, mid 30's...

aaahhhhh.... 'ROID RAGE!!!

Yeah that can be a problem.. I've seen some pretty bad cases of 'roid rage turn ugly quick. Anabolic "enhancement" has it's side effects.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:28 PM
red03miniS
Banned
>>good luck!
>>you've gotta love the numerous hook-ups on this board!
>>we're the best! :smile:

Old 06-03-2003, 07:06 AM
jacobsen1
2nd Gear
I had a good one in a Target parking lot last year...

I was pulling off the main street into the street that goes to the target parking lot. The minivan turned in front of me and I went onto the street right behind him. Apperently he though I was tailgaiting to he hit the brakes hard. I stopped behind him... waited a second, and then went to go around him.... He then tried to run me off the road on the right side as I tried to pass him. This is in MT and I was driving my old Subaru Outback. I passed him with 2 wheels in the dirt on the left side just htinking what is this guy trying to pull??? I get in the parking lot and get out to go in the store and he pulls up right by us. He doesn't even park, his wife gets out, and gets in my face about driving dangerously. She goes on and on, and my wife starts getting really upset and starts yelling back. I just pointed out that her husband was driving worse than I was as he slammed on his brakes and then tried to run us off the road. She kep pointing out that she had 2 kids in the back seat. This lady wouldn't shut up, and then the Husband gets out, walks up to me, doesn't say anything, and then headbutts me?!?! He was about 5'10" and I am 6'4". Needless to say he got 2 fists in his face in a hurry (self deffence) and then he charges me again... to more spacks to his head... he then comes back for more, and lunges at my feet. He bites my leg!!! At this point others in the parkinglot and some store employees were coming out and they were yelling at me to let him go because he was at my feet. I then said I couldn't because he was bitting me.... The were very confused, and then he let go and got up. He then said his friend officer xyz would be talking to me, but he drove off before we could get the cops to come. I went inside where we reviewed the video tape, and the cops came and saw it too. They said I did everything right, except passing him on a double yellow even though he stopped. (it was all on tape) I then pressed charges and the store said they were sorry. It was all very biziare....

Minivan drivers??!!!!

Old 06-03-2003, 07:24 AM
rfath
4th Gear
Road rage is a funny thing... my dad's been run off the interstate at 70mph into the median strip for not passing a semi fast enough (the one good thing the Probe ever did... that low center of mass kept the car upright.. the mechanic the next week couldn't believe how far into the mechanics of the car the dirt, gravel, and grass had been driven). Luckily I've not yet been into any major altercations with anyone, but my boyfriend sure has. He's what I would call a confident driver. He never does anything stupid (that I've witnessed), but he does tend to drive fast. Always aware and never putting anyone else in danger, but also not tolerant of people trying to use their cars to force their way in traffic situations.

I've only had to call the police once... that was when someone tried to pass on a double yellow on a busy street and didn't get let in. They followed us, tried to block us in our driveway to fight. Heh...

At least my boyfriend doesn't have the temper he did a few years ago... some drunken lout (yes, drunk. Yes, driving... the wrong way down a one-way street) tried to charge him and pinned him against the car. He probably had a good 100lbs on my boyfriend. He got a set of sore ones from that. The police thought it was funny, at least :/

The best advice I've ever heard is to NOT get out of the car, carry a cellphone, and be aware of what's going on around you. Of course, that's good advice in general...

Old 06-03-2003, 07:37 AM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
I have had people "road rage" against me in the state of IL. Police couldn't do anything. I called them on my cell and told them that I was following a man in car that had thrown something at me. I gave them the plate number and the direction we were headed in. They told me to stop following him and go to the police station. I did and of course nothing was ever done about it.

People need to do more Yoga!!!

:evil:

Old 06-03-2003, 08:17 AM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
My daughter was on her way to work a couple of weeks ago and had the same type of thing happen to her on the 215Fwy in Riverside, CA. She had her phone with her and called the CHP. They asked if she had damage and told them she couldn't stop and couldn't check her car. they took his license # and told her come in to file a report. Filed the report and was aksed if she could identify the guy ina lineup. Yes for sure even down to his red star outlined in black tatoo on his elbow! That's when her dad freaked out. Gang affiliation. scary people out there.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:00 PM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
The part that bugs me the most about the original story was what a bunch of bolts were doing inside a Camry? The more I think about it, the more I begin to believe that the other driver probably keeps these things intentionally just for when he feels he was wronged on the highway. If he was just coming back from the hardware store, though, he would have wasted a trip. Call it semi-premeditated auto assault.

Now for those situations where someone begins to follow you out of anger, I suggest that you drive to a police station. I somehow thing those looking for a confrontation are going to be suddenly much less brave.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:22 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
>>i need some advice on what to do. i was a victim of raod rage today in denver. they threw bolts out of there window at me and they hit my windshield! i have a discription of the car and 3 digits of the plate. the police said they couldn't do anything without a full plate #. what am i supposed to do now?
>>
>>HELP!
>>

You could always hire a private detective who may have acess to your local DMV records if you can't get them legally. A simple query on the first three digits plus Camry should get you a few hits. In Oregon, a couple bucks can get you an address (scary) from DMV. I was remodeling my house and had some guy throw a bunch of garbage in a bulding materials only dumpster, and speed off and give me the finger when I ran outside to get him. A quick call to the non-emergency line and they said "...right, we have real criminals to deal with". However, since I had the full plate the cop, off the record, told me to go to DMV, get his address, pull all the stuff out of the dumpster and give it back to him (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). I would have liked to see the guys face when he woke up the next day with his front-yard full of all the crap he threw in my dumpster.

Probably overboard, but I'm a man of principles.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>The part that bugs me the most about the original story was what a bunch of bolts were doing inside a Camry? The more I think about it, the more I begin to believe that the other driver probably keeps these things intentionally just for when he feels he was wronged on the highway. If he was just coming back from the hardware store, though, he would have wasted a trip. Call it semi-premeditated auto assault.

Despite having been crippled by being rearended by a car on my motorcycle I have never believed in the popular biker solution of carrying bolts in a pocket to ward off tailgaters. I was not aware this idea had spread beyond the biker community.

Old 06-03-2003, 02:02 PM
dot-scott
2nd Gear
please let us know what comes of this.

i hope the best for you.