R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Union Jack or not to Union Jack, that is the question…

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 09:14 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Bear with me,i don't have my car yet)

So I am assuming the sunroof has paralell straight edges then.. great! so that gave you the center of the car, then you started at the front edge with a full 9" square, and worked out and across? Makes perfect sense. thanks! That's all the confidence boost I needed to order the kit.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:06 PM
FreddyBoy
1st Gear
About the UJ and CarVogue, does anybody has any idea of how much it would be for the full UJ "a la Nigel Powers" would cost? Especially if any other canucks like me looked into this, I would really appreciate your help!

FreddyBoy

Old 08-21-2002, 06:13 AM
waxmuseum
1st Gear
the union jack will look funny if you arent british!!!

and it really wont suit a silver car

leave the poor mini alone get checkers if anything

Old 08-21-2002, 12:25 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear

Just curious, I was wondering if the decals on the sunroof significantly reduce the amount of light coming into the car. I know that there is the option to purchase decals that have very small holes that allow some light to still come into the car rather than solid decals. Which did you go with?

Old 08-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Brownielocks
3rd Gear
Sirron,

You're correct. The American flag is called "Old Glory." To find out why you'll have to visit my Patriotic Trivia Quiz.

As far as this roof decoration stuff, I think it works with some cars and not others depending on your colors.

But when it comes to customizing any and all cars, there does come a time when you need to know when to stop or else it's overkill and becomes tacky IMHO.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the checkered tops make the cars look like taxis?

Old 08-21-2002, 01:23 PM
minimotorin
6th Gear
Not a SKA music fan are you Brownielocks?

Old 08-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Brownielocks
3rd Gear
>>Not a SKA music fan are you Brownielocks?

MiniMoto,

Duh? What's SKA? (Am I showing my age?)

Old 08-21-2002, 01:36 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe you're subtly reminded of taxis because of the old Checkered Cab Co.?

Old 08-23-2002, 11:15 PM
Owen#10
3rd Gear
I would go for The St. George, you know, the white flag with the red cross, the flag of ENGLAND and not all the countries of the UK.
But this is is coming from a 1/2 English 1/2 american who loves both his nationalities. But I live in America and the car is very English.

Old 09-25-2002, 08:06 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
OK, OK, I've been asked a more than a few times to get at least one picture up. It isn't the best picture but here is at least one picture with the Dark Silver, Silver and White Union Kack on the the MCS with a sunroof.

Dave in Denver and I went to the british Conclave and entered our MINI's along with a few other new MINI owners. It was great. I'm about to loose this DSL connection cuz Qwest/MSN DSL sucks, so when I get the new DSL service I'll post more pictures as soon as I take them.

LINK to Silver Union Jack

Old 09-25-2002, 09:32 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Lookin' good! The lights, stripes and flag are the best combo! Definetly not too much. I can't believe you did that yourself! Yes, please post more pics when you can. It's hard to see with the glare. I get mine installed this Friday!!!!

Old 09-25-2002, 09:55 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
I, too, want to see a better pic! How do you like it? I have the body color roof on my Pure Silver...do you think the silver UJ would get lost on it? Please post more pics!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 09-27-2002, 09:48 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear

Hey I will post more pictures, I am going on a drive with a group from the local dealership Sunday (If my wife lets me go, we were supposed to go on a drive by ourselves

Old 09-27-2002, 10:22 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Hey gobsmacked,

Did you get the perforated vinyl over the sunroof sections, or just the regular solid vinyl? I got the perforated (and paid $$$ for it), but I think that I'd rather have the solid vinyl over the sunroof too and just block out those sections where the decal is. The perforations draw your eye too much since the design looks darker there. The regular vinyl looks so clean over the roof- like it was painted. The installer did a phenomenal job! I will post pics as soon as I wash her. Damn, I love this car!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2002, 08:52 AM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
Hey CMINIGO!

I did get the perforated top. I really like it. You will find that most people don't know it has a sunroof until they get closer to it or if you have it open in some manner. Then people are really impressed to see the perforations. I'm glad I have it on now, the sun out here is really bright compared to Southern California. I am now actually entertaining tinting the windows, I didn't mind so much when I was home in Cali but out here, it is bright! I want to protect the leather too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing yours posted! I know what you mean about the car, my wife is thinking about having me committed. I told her only if the car comes with me!

Old 09-28-2002, 06:57 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Alrighty, here's the new Emma! Is she killer, or what!?!

gobsmacked, you're right... the perforations are great and still let light in. When I saw it late last night in the dark it looked funky, but in daylight it's perfect. You can barely tell. Some moisture still has to evaporate (perhaps why it looked funky in the dark), but Tom at Byrne Graphics in Westlake Village, CA did the most fantastic job! Unfortunately the decal I gave him to install was made wrong and didn't match up, so he ended up hand-cutting everything over so lines and angles matched up perfectly. He wrapped it around the spoiler and even down into the trunk space. He put a tiny bead of clear lacquer (or whatever) around the edges with a pin-striping brush so they don't come up and are sure to last. It was a lot of work being an edge-to-edge fit, but worth every Ben Franklin!

I am SOOOO glad I went through with the stripes, lights, and flag. Next I'm adding our group name to the upper part of the back window "SoCal MINI Maniacs"!

I highly recommend tinting the windows, especially in the heat out there in the desert. Besides saving your interior, keeping it cooler, and reducing glares, it also looks extremely good!

If they lock you up, I'll surely be next. Maybe they can lock us up in our MINIs!

Old 09-28-2002, 07:25 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I recently bought a UJ decal and my brother and I put it on ourselves on my Indi Blue mini. Honestly, I really don't think one would look that good on a silver car, just leave it how it is, it looks fine!

-J

Old 09-28-2002, 09:30 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
>> Alrighty, here's the new Emma! Is she killer, or what!?!
>>
>>gobsmacked, you're right... the perforations are great and still let light in. When I saw it late last night in the dark it looked funky, but in daylight it's perfect. You can barely tell. Some moisture still has to evaporate (perhaps why it looked funky in the dark), but Tom at Byrne Graphics in Westlake Village, CA did the most fantastic job! Unfortunately the decal I gave him to install was made wrong and didn't match up, so he ended up hand-cutting everything over so lines and angles matched up perfectly. He wrapped it around the spoiler and even down into the trunk space. He put a tiny bead of clear lacquer (or whatever) around the edges with a pin-striping brush so they don't come up and are sure to last. It was a lot of work being an edge-to-edge fit, but worth every Ben Franklin!
>>
>>I am SOOOO glad I went through with the stripes, lights, and flag. Next I'm adding our group name to the upper part of the back window "SoCal MINI Maniacs"!
>>
>>I highly recommend tinting the windows, especially in the heat out there in the desert. Besides saving your interior, keeping it cooler, and reducing glares, it also looks extremely good!
>>
>>If they lock you up, I'll surely be next. Maybe they can lock us up in our MINIs!

Tracy! Emma looks absolutely fab! I may have to go to your guy for the roof decal...do you think he could duplicate yours or should I order the CarVogue decal? I can't see your bonnet stripes clearly...are they one color? Love the driving lights...are they the OEM lights or did you get the PIAAs? Can't wait to see Emma in person next week at the Oct. 6 Caravan & MINI Meet at the Santa Paula Airport! We're really going to have a great variety of MINIs! Hurray!

Old 10-01-2002, 11:47 AM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
Tracy! All I can say is that I am GOBSMACKED! Your decal is awesome! You can check out my decal up close at this link

Your person did an awesome job placing the decal on. My decal did not do to the edges, did you ask CarVogue to do that?