PittStop MINI Club The PittStop MINI Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.pittstopmini.org

BeaveRun Track Day Oct 29

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BeaveRun Track Day Oct 29

Check your schedules and hold the date open! I have just received some preliminary information that there will another "Triple Track Event" at BR on Sunday, 10/29. However, details are still being finalized so I cannot really tell you much at the moment.

It sounds like an event very similar to what we did in March with an Open Lapping Day on the North Track, an AutoX, and timed trials on the Wilson Circuit (go-kart track).

In essence, this is a date change for the event on our calendar originally scheduled for November 11.

If this event is indeed anything like the one in March, it is a super-fun, action-packed day!!! Plan on being there! Keep watch for details as the come available.

Motor Happy!

Old 09-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
keep me updated....i will see how my calender works with it

Old 09-18-2006, 04:28 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's awesome! Less chance of snow on the track.

I've even got my brake line problem sorted so I should be able to do the whole event with brakes.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:08 AM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Sounds like a good event....I think I'll have to make it out for this one! Now, what to do about the tires I corded at the autocross on saturday.......

Jason

Old 09-18-2006, 05:34 PM
MiniC
2nd Gear
Keep me posted about the October event. I'm in, just let me know the cost.
Jason, blame the tires on your dad and tell him you need an early Christmas present.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:03 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Yea, have someone else pay tirerack!

Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Hahahaha...thanks for the ideas guys!!! Not to worry, as it turns out the Avon race tires on my Dad's TR6 are exactly the same size as what I run on the MINI (224-45-15). Looks like I may have them swapped over to my rims and "borrow" them for this event. I'll have to start saving my pennys though, I will definately need some new R-tires of my own for next year.....

Jason

Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 PM
dark06mcs
2nd Gear
non pittstop mini noob here:

what are the rules, what about equipment in the car, and what is the cost? if there are some open spots there may be a contingent from Hampton Roads that makes a trip up.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:23 AM
Mini2Go
I've got more details on this event, but there is currently no way to register for it. BeaveRun should have the online registration setup around the beginning of October. I'll keep everyone posted as I get more information.

What: BeaveRun's Total Track Experience! You can do any or all of the following:
  • Hot Laps on a 1.6 mile closed-circuit road course. Driving the road course includes classroom instruction on driving skills, techniques, and safety rules. You will also have an in-car instructor while on the track.
  • A twisty autocross course. On the autocross course (a veritable sea of orange cones in an open lot) you will be striving for the fastest time through the course without hitting any cones. Quite fun and challenging even though you most likely won't get above second gear! Sometimes you have to go slower to be faster.
  • Time trials on the Wilson Circuit - a world-class go-kart track. Yes, this is in your MINI! The object on the go-kart track will be to get closest to a target time without going under it (quite a fun challenge!).
  • Street driver exercises. These will be in-car maneuvering exercises to help you learn how to properly deal with everyday driving hazards. Who knew driver's education could be so much fun?
  • Karting (weather permitting). Rent a 9hp kart with a race-inspired chassis capable of speeds over 50MPH for some truly amazing thrills!
AND, since this will be a Steeler game Sunday...
  • Refreshments and a large screen TV for the 4:15 game.
When: Sunday, October 29, 2006. 8:30AM. (Gates open at 7:30AM. All drivers registered for the road course (North Track) MUST attend the driver’s meeting, which begins promptly at 9:00AM. You should allow enough time to register, obtain a loaner helmet if you need one, and remove all loose items from your car. You will NOT be allowed to participate on the North Track if you miss the driver's meeting.)

Where: BeaveRun Motorsports Complex 201 Penndale Road, Wampum, PA 16157. (http://www.beaverun.com/directions.asp for directions)

Cost: Your choice (refreshments are included with each option):
  • All 3 Track events - $165. (Does not include karting.)
  • AutoX - $35
  • Wilson Circuit Time Trials - $15
  • Street driving exercises - $10.
  • Karting - $20 for 10 minutes; $50 for 30 minutes; $75 for 1 hour.
Registration: If you want to do the $165 option including the North Track road course, go to this page or download and fill out this form and either fax or mail it to BeaveRun. (Be sure to write in "MINI Club" under Other for how you heard about the event!)

Online payment and registration for the other levels of participation is not available at this time. (Should be available around Oct 1) For payment, you can mail a check or wait for the online option to be available.

Foul Weather: This is a rain or shine event. Only the karting is subject to rain cancellation. Snow or ice conditions may force cancellation or postponement of the track events - watch www.beaverun.com and/or www.pittstopmini.org for notices. (I'll try to post notices here, but within hours of the event it may be difficult, so I can't make any guarantees.)

NOTE: Don't delay your registration for the North Track - these events have been filling up and selling out quickly, especially for the novice- and intermediate-level driver spots.

Motor Happy!
=J

PS. Feel free to invite a friend, or two, or three! (Please also have them write in "MINI Club" on the registration form!) While we hope to see a strong showing of MINIs, this is not a MINI-exclusive day.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by dark06mcs
non pittstop mini noob here:

what are the rules, what about equipment in the car, and what is the cost? if there are some open spots there may be a contingent from Hampton Roads that makes a trip up.
The simplest way for me to explain the nitty-gritty details is to point you to this page on BeaveRun's website. Be sure to click on the link to the Technical Inspection Guidelines. That is where the details are.

As for helmets, Snell 2000 or newer are required. Loaner helmets are available.

Otherwise, this is not a race event. Passing is allowed only on the straights and only when you give the "point" to allow the pass.

Let me know what other questions you all have and I'll do my best to answer!

Old 09-20-2006, 06:53 AM
dark06mcs
2nd Gear
so if i'm interested i should register immediately?

i've posted this on our local forum here in virginia, if you get a lot more noob questions from us consider it all my fault.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:06 AM
Mini2Go
No problem about the additional questions!!! I'm happy to help clear up any possible misconceptions or allay any fears.

As for registration, chances are you'll be ok if you register by the first week of October.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Mini2Go
I'm not sure what your plans might be, but if you need any lodging the Marriott North in Cranberry Township has been MINI friendly in the past. If you have more than a couple cars, we might even see if we can get you a discount. Of course there are also less expensive options in that area. Cranberry Township is a nice area with tons of shopping and restaurants within about 30 minutes of BeaveRun. There are closer places for lodging but Wampum, PA is very rural and Cranberry is probably your best bet for overall ease and options.

Last edited by Mini2Go; 09-20-2006 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 AM
dark06mcs
2nd Gear
thanks for all the help mini2go. i'll get back to you about how many we may be.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 AM
colinmini
5th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
Bummer about this date, those track days are awesome! I have plans for that weekend. I was waiting for after the Nov. track day to put the mini away for the winter. Going a couple of weeks earlier for this track day should help with the weather. Hope you all have a blast!

Old 09-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Mini2Go
Track Day Update!

Ok, BeaveRun has put all of the details on their website. If you are interested in getting on the track for the Flat-out day (HPDE) you should register ASAP!!! (Today would be good!) They only take a limited number of registrants for each Flat Out day so the track is not too crowded. IT WILL SELL OUT QUICKLY!

The day includes any or all of the following (your choice!):

Road Track HPDE
Autocross
Kart Track Time-trials
Go-Karting
Off-road 4x4 driving
Road skills manuevers
Steeler Party (Playing @ Raiders)

I think that's everything, but I might have missed something - so just go to the website already! (Links for registration are on the site.)

Oh, there is no limit or pre-registration required for the other activities, just for the Flat-out portion on the track.

If you're in the area, I expect to see you there!

Old 10-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Nickyd80
Former Vendor
I feal the need for speed.

Hey John! Have talked with Chris and Vince. We are of course going to be there for the flat out dayand maybe even the auto cross. Might have to bring the Imposter Mini up there and autox it. Hope to see you there. Also hope to see alot of new face's out tere this year.

Nick Eger
MOP

Old 10-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
I have a couple of, perhaps, awkward questions. I only ask them due to some recent events on another board.

Is Mini of Pittsburgh a sponsor of this event? Are they sanctioning or otherwise approving it?

If a completely stock 2005 Cooper S were to have its differential come apart on the autocross course, cart track or north course would it be covered by the factory waranty?

Would any other mechanical failures be covered by waranty during this event?

Thanks,
Gene

Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Mini2Go
At this time MoP is not directly involved with this particular event and there is no explicit approval or sanctioning. However, MoP is a sponsor of the PittStop MINI Club and, as such, is notified of our events. Preliminary indication is that they will have at least one representative at the event.

I am aware of the events of which you speak.

Gene, I'll send you a PM later this afternoon. (Sorry, gotta run right now).

Old 10-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Nickyd80
Former Vendor
Not a stock mini.

Gene, The car in hand was not all together stock. Veh had sticky tires or comp tires on it. Veh was also a 3/05 production and as of a week ago it had 48962 miles on it in the short time. Also the owner was adviced that veh needed a new clutch but declined the work.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:57 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nickyd80
Gene, The car in hand was not all together stock. Veh had sticky tires or comp tires on it. Veh was also a 3/05 production and as of a week ago it had 48962 miles on it in the short time. Also the owner was adviced that veh needed a new clutch but declined the work.
That is incorrect sir. If you would like to buy me a set of sticky tires, wheels, a trailer to haul them on, a portable jack, the MINI Fini mount for the car, the associated tow hitch, and anything else that would be needed, I'd be glad to put some R-comp tires on my car. Until then, please get your story straight. The car has NEVER had R-comp tires on it. The car IS completely stock, with perhaps the exception of brake pads. You also have the build date wrong. It was built ON 7/05/2004. Ask me how I know...

Furthermore, perhaps you would like to explain here, once and for all, how a supposedly bad clutch could cause a differential to fail. They are COMPLETELY isolated from each other. A failing clutch SLIPS. My clutch NEVER slips.

Sorry, I hope you folks have a nice, safe and fun track day, but these comments cannot go unrefuted.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
I REALLY didn't want to stir the pot with a specific incident that is still being contested. What I wondered is whether a stock Mini running at the event on the 29th is covered for failures that might occur. It obviously doesn't matter for my car, but the issue is always a possibility for others in the club who attend.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
The event was a huge success if you ask me!!! Other than being a little on the chilly side, the weather was beautiful! I had a great time on track and also off track socializing with the other MINI drivers. It was fun to learn a new track, as I had never been on the track at Beaverun before. I felt the event was run very well, my instructor was great, and I can't complain a bit about 90 minutes of actual track time. I had just enough front brake pad left at the end of the day to drive back to Ohio, I guess 18000 miles on the OEM pads isn't too bad....time to upgrade.

Jason

Old 10-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Mini2Go
Fortunately, even though it was chilly and windy (I think it is always windy up on that hill!), the sun was out much of the time and it helped out immensely. I had a great time as well. I guess everyone was either tired from a long day on the asphalt, or simply had other plans because not too many folks stuck around for the Steeler game afterward. Either way, the driving was good! I even got to take a 4-wheel drive vehicle off-road and get it stuck in the mud-pit moguls! Good times!

Most likely we won't see any more performance driving events until next year. We have been doing the Winter Driving School every-other year, so this would be the "off" year - unless we get enough commitments to hold it (25+ drivers.) Otherwise, we will be having some social events throughout the winter. Stay posted at www.pittstopmini.org.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:51 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Tell me more about this winter driving school you speak of?????

Jason

p.s. why would anyone want to stick around and watch the Steelers? The Browns were playing don't you know :-P

Last edited by jasonsmf; 10-30-2006 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: BeaveRun Track Day Oct 29