PhillyMINI Club The PhillyMINI club Forum. Visit our club site at www.phillymini.org

Allentown, PA mini meet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 PM
mikeym
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allentown, PA mini meet?

Hey Folks,

Who do we have local that would be willing to travel this way for a meet? Will consider putting together a barbeque and cruise in the Lehigh Valley area and a cruise in the blue mountains (new tripoli and some nice backroads) for this summer sometime.

I used to be highly involved in the mr2 scene and we had some great times...

Post up if interested.

~mikeym

Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I would be interested.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 PM
mikeym
2nd Gear
Sounds good. Walt, I talked to Ron at Mini and he had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned a club :(

Mike

Old 05-16-2012, 03:46 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mikeym
Sounds good. Walt, I talked to Ron at Mini and he had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned a club :(
There's a club down at Philly, though I am not a member.

Locally here in the LV, the MINI Dealership tends to be the focus of any events. I particularly liked the one they held over at America on Wheels museum in Allentown. Being away from the dealership itself, it wasn't simply a sales tactic.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from ny but regularly visit my parents in the area (leighton), would like to join in if we're in town. my father would love to attend a run.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 AM
masavacool
2nd Gear
Morning everyone. I've been talking with the folks at MINI of Allentown and they are VERY interested in hosting more events for themselves. I have volunteered to put together a bunch of events throughout the summer to see how things work out for them.

So far, I have a rough calendar of events to happen each month through October. Let jump over to my laptop quick and find the dates and I'll post them up in a few minutes.

-savvy

Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Looking forward, had a blast driving through bushkill yesterday

Old 05-21-2012, 06:37 AM
masavacool
2nd Gear
9 JUN 2012 - 3rd Annual: Lehigh Valley MINI Grand Prix. Starts and ends at the dealership. For those who LOVE the twisties. It's a three leg rally. Approximately 90 miles total.

14 JUL 2012 - Backroads of Berks County. It will start in Macungie and then end at the dealership for some eats. This is the same weekend as the Deutsche Classic Car Show in Fleetwood, PA. (which, I will probably go and check out later in the day.)

11 AUG 2012 - Rally to the Roller Coasters. A day trip to Knobel's Amusement Park - it's a free admission amusement park... you just buy tickets to pay for the rides you want to enjoy. Start from the Dealership's parking lot in the morning... and then people can leave the park when they feel like it.

8 SEP 2012 - The Countryside Cruise. Similar to... but VERY different from... the LVMGP Route. A much more relaxed type of drive. Very scenic, minimal turns (from one road to another)... but that doesn't mean the roads are straight. Starts and ends at MoA.

20 OCT 2012 - Rally to the Raptors (cruise out to Hawk Mountain). Start at the dealership, then leave from the preserve. Should be good timing for the shutter bugs to get photos of the leaves turning and enjoy a day of hiking in the cool fall air.

There are a lot of details that need to be worked out yet. But realize that the folks at MINI of Allentown are looking to cater to the whole MINI experience.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Originally Posted by masavacool
I've been talking with the folks at MINI of Allentown and they are VERY interested in hosting more events for themselves.
I stopped by the "event" this past Saturday at this MINI dealership. It wasn't much of an event, and what was there, was mostly just to sell MINI's. Yea, there was a DJ, cheese/crackers, and a young girl selling lemonade. But really no MINI owners, just a very few potential MINI buyers. And the salesmen were there to sell (yea, that's their job).

I stayed about 10 minutes, and left.

While I think its great that the MINI dealership wants to host events, it is really when they are held at the dealership itself, the focus is, 100%, to sell MINI's. It is NOT a social event for current owners.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 PM
masavacool
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Walt
It is NOT a social event for current owners.
They are looking to change that. So, you may want to stop by and mingle on those dates. More details to follow.

In the interim, just curious if any of you folks have a programmable GPS unit? If so, have you ever played with that functionality? I have a bunch of files I can share if you are able to use them.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM
mikeym
2nd Gear
Mike,

Looks cool man. I do a lot of driving so the 90 mile grand prix I may pass on.

How does that work anyway? I've never done a "grand prix" on the road...

I'll definitely make the July 14th cruise. Wanna start some threads for this?

Old 05-23-2012, 05:04 PM
masavacool
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikeym
Mike,

Looks cool man. I do a lot of driving so the 90 mile grand prix I may pass on.

How does that work anyway? I've never done a "grand prix" on the road...

I'll definitely make the July 14th cruise. Wanna start some threads for this?
The Grand Prix rally is not that bad of a drive. It's broken into 3 different legs that take about an hour a piece. If you ever been to their showroom, you've probably seen the route.

Leg #1

Leg #2

Leg #3

as for starting other threads.... I'll get to that once I get details nailed down a little better. Another thing... some of these dates may be moving to Sundays. So, keep your eyes open.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 PM
masavacool
2nd Gear
see attached for the whole LVMGP Route.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Valley_Run_1_1.pdf (232.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 PM
mikeym
2nd Gear
cool. If I'm free I'd love to make it.

Whats the turn out expected for the grand prix?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 AM
masavacool
2nd Gear
Below is an UPDATED calendar of events:

10 JUN 2012 - 3rd Annual: Lehigh Valley MINI Grand Prix. Starts and ends at the dealership. For those who LOVE the twisties. It's a three leg rally. Approximately 90 miles total. Meet at MoA's parking lot for 0930. We'll shoot to leave around 1000 or so.

15 JUL 2012 - Backroads of Berks County. It will start here in Macungie and then end somewhere near the dealership for some eats and beverages.

11 AUG 2012 - Rally to the Roller Coasters. A day trip to Knobel's Amusement Park - it's a free admission amusement park... you just buy tickets to pay for the rides you want to enjoy. Start from the Dealership's parking lot in the morning... and then people can leave the park when they feel like it.

8 SEP 2012 - The Countryside Cruise. Similar to... but VERY different from... the LVMGP Route. A much more relaxed type of drive. Very scenic, minimal turns (from one road to another)... but that doesn't mean the roads are straight. Starts and ends at MoA.

28 OCT 2012 - Steel Horse Poker Run. This is the second year that this charity fundraising event is going to be held. It is to raise research money and awareness for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The couple who organized and executed the first event in under two months... love motorcycles and MINIs. After the husband recovered from a double lung transplant (as a result of CF), he bought his wife a brand new MINI for sticking with him and putting up with everything. Last year they managed to get over 100 bikes to show up for the event with minimal planning. This year they are opening up the doors to MINIacs as well... with a lot more time to get the word out there. More details to follow on this one... but keep the date open for yourself. IT'S GONNA BE BIG!!!!!
If you plan on attending any of the above events please let me know here (and pm me your name). Also, you can head over to the MoA Fan Page on Facebook and rsvp on the appropriate event page.

Cheers.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Josh4285
3rd Gear
Id like to check out this upcoming one in July or august, knoebels is fun

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
knoebls sounds great!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Klayfish
3rd Gear
I just purchased my MINI last weekend and did a search here for Lehigh Valley and found this thread. My wife and I would love to get together and meet other local owners. I'm joining Philly Mini, but wanted to see how many people closer to us there were.

Several years ago, my wife and I owned a FFR Shelby Cobra 427 replica. We had a great time attending events. We formed the local Cobra owners club and put on a show every year. It was awesome. We had 45-50 Cobras show up.

Fast forward to now, we have 3 young children. So is long sold our free time is very limited too. But we'd still love to get together. We've even talked about hosting a MINI show and cookout at our house. We live on 3.5 acres, and much of it is a huge open grass field. It'd be perfect.

Hoping to be able to attend some of the events listed and not at all trying to take away from anything MINI of Allentown is doing. We visited them while shopping and had a great experience. Just throwing out the idea of getting together as just the owners (of course anyone from MINI of Allentown would be welcome to join as an owner).

Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
packimocity
2nd Gear
You know, Mike, that I am definitely up for any MoA events...it is my closest rally point (closer than Philly and NEMINI rallies)
And now I have extra incentive having purchased my 2012 Coupe S there last week!

And klayfish, let's do that Mini cookout/yard party...where are you located?

packimocity, Poconos, PA

Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Klayfish
3rd Gear
I'm in East Greenville, which is about 10 miles south of Allentown.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Josh4285
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Klayfish
I'm in East Greenville, which is about 10 miles south of Allentown.
Nice area. Hopefully far enough away from the nonsense and vandalism of alletown

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
masavacool
2nd Gear
FYI Folks.... the event for this coming weekend is postponed. There was a scheduling conflict that came up and the folks at MoA decided to postpone the rally on the 10th of June.

If i were you.... I'd keep the 24th of June open.

Cheers!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Gat0r
1st Gear
Originally Posted by masavacool
FYI Folks.... the event for this coming weekend is postponed. There was a scheduling conflict that came up and the folks at MoA decided to postpone the rally on the 10th of June.

If i were you.... I'd keep the 24th of June open.

Cheers!
Cool, I'm off the 24th!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM
mikeym
2nd Gear
hope i can make it... I'll try to get something together this summer as well.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Josh4285
3rd Gear
i just saw the post about the last meet in october, and the guy who got a double lung transplant. thats amazing, i have cystic fibrosis too id love to meet that couple!

Quick Reply: Allentown, PA mini meet?