Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, and Alaska

Driving School/Track day at PIR

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:24 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving School/Track day at PIR

This Sunday Team Continental is giving a driving school at PIR. Are there any other Mini owners out there interested? The cost is $195 which includes 4 hrs of classroom training on Sat. and a minimum of four 15min track sessions during the day on Sun. An instructor rides along with you during the track sessions giving you one on one attention. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and the weather for next weeks looks dry so far. It would be fun if there were some other Mini owners so think about it.

Dan

Old 02-28-2005, 06:57 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Dan,

If you go have fun ! You might want to check out this link first tho.....
http://www.cascadescc.com/training.asp?page=home

I do believe the PDX club is looking into co-sponsoring a track day this summer. The BMW club is also giving MINI owners the club price for their track days.

I myself am going to wait and see what the club decides to do.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
I did this years ago. Great fun. They match the instructor to the type of car you own: fwd get instructors who race fwd; rwd get instructors that race rwd. They take your car around to show you what you could possibly do with some experience, and then sit in the passenger seat and critique you for a few laps.

You will learn a lot, and it is safe.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:45 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
Scott,
Thanks, I already have their schedule on my calendar. This weekend looked good as I wouldn't have to take a vacation day. All of the BMW club events are on weekdays but Sat March 19 is the only day CSCC will have training on a weekend day. It's either this weekend or the 19th and so far the weather looks good for this weekend. I am not sure if the BMW guys will let you run on the track without prior class time, safety and liability issues. Team Continential is the most expensive for a formal class but they are supposed to be good. I just have the itch to go fast without having to look over my shoulder for the cops. )
Dan

Old 03-01-2005, 06:18 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
BMW club does not req that you attend a classroom.

Let us know how you liked it!

Old 05-02-2005, 12:34 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
Track day update

I should say "days" as last Friday was my 2nd driver school. Let me start at the begining.

Last month I had my first track day/school experience. This was a driving school put on by the Portland area SCCA club. It was a 1 day event with driving exercises (similar to autox) in the morning and then four 20 min sessions on the track with an instructor riding along.

Everything went well until the third session. Some antifreeze was spilled on the track just before the novice group went out and it also started to sprinkle rain. I was the first out in my group and found the antifreeze.

It was like hitting black ice. One minute traction and the next sliding sideways down the track. Luckly I stayed on the pavement and no one hit me.

That was the only mishap and the rest of the day went great. I learned a lot, but the most important thing was "smooth is fast". That will take some work to master but in this case work is fun.

Last Friday I attended the BMW club event. I was able to talk my way into running with the intermediate group rather than the novice group which was filled up. I had an instructor to ride along and check me out to see if I was ready to run solo in the intermediate group

This instructor was quite a bit different from the first one. He was much more into being smooth on the track before trying to go fast. The first session I was a little shakey trying to listen to the instructor and drive at the same time.

The second session it started to rain and all hell broke loose. Several cars spun out and the session was cut short when an M Coupe slid off course and hit the guard rail. No one was hurt (except the M Coupe) but all of the drivers got a lecture about driving within your limits and not doing dumb stuff.

By the fourth session I was starting to put it together. I graduated to solo intermediate and the last session ran without the instructor. I actually passed two cars instead of being passed.

This was a great learning experience as well as tons of fun. I can't wait to go again

Old 05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Do you have any links for more info? I am really interested in the SCCA school. I couldn't find anything about a single day school on the SCCA regional web site.

Sounds like you had a great time. Great write-up

Old 05-03-2005, 10:52 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
Thanks Scott,

That SCCA class was the first one of it's type that they have out on. Most of their schools are 2 days with the first day a class room session and the second day on the track. It's also geared to training to race.

The BMW club school for novice is one day with the class room part first thing in the morning. They also do not do the practice drills. These you could do on your own in a parking lot or deserted road. It consisted of threshold braking, to get the feel of it, and learning throttle control by running through cones, getting a feel for controling traction with the throttle. This you could also do on your own except for having an instructor there to tell you when you are doing it right.:smile:

The novice class fill's up fast so if you are interested sign up early. I can't make the next 2 BMW events but I hope to get in the July 22nd class.

Here's their link. www.bmwacaportland.com/drive.html
Have fun.
Dan