Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Be careful out there, A reminder

Old 01-24-2007, 06:49 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful out there, A reminder

Some of you might have seen me on the Marcus Dairy run this weekend in Danbury. Anyone living in the Danbury area may have heard about the accident between exits three and four on I84 East yesterday in Danbury around noon, a driver toppled over numerous gravestones and plowed into a cemetary. article here: http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story.php?id=1029328

Well before he did that he clipped the right rear corner of my family's Yukon, with me in the drivers seat on my way back to college. I have always been a safe driver, no tickets, no accidents. I could not countersteer or correct after this one. He sent me sideways down 84, and off the road, where the truck flipped 3-5 times. I was knocked unconscious and pulled out on a stretcher by the Danbury Fire dept. I walked out of the Danbury hospital 5 hours later.

This is one of those all too close reminders of not only how dangerous it is to drive in general but how life can be taken away in an instant. I don't know how differently it would have turned out if I had been driving the MINI but this is just a reminder, be careful, be attentive, and always watch out for the other guy.

In the foreground is the Subaru that hit me.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
WOW Dude, he really must have been travelling pretty fast. Glad to hear that you are ok.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Lyme
2nd Gear
thanks for writing this story and posting the picture. You are very fortunate. i am glad that you are ok. I hope that you do not have any residual body damage from being tossed around like a rag doll.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Damn man that sucks but atleast your alright.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
I'm wicked glad you are ok, GrFa.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
Thanks guys, I really don't even know how to react. I can stop thinking about how differently it could have gone, if it was someone in a different car, if I was in a different car, etc. I cannot even think what would have happened to an elderly person in an older car, or something like that.

All I know is the person who hit me should not have been on the road and could have caused so much more damage. I don't want people like that on the road and want everyone to be on the guard whenever they are driving.

I took the MINI out tonight to see if I was still able to drive and not too frightened. He promised to get me up to MA safely, so much for bring everything back up with me. As the old MG slogan goes..."Safety Fast!" everyone.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
OMG! I hope you are okay! I moved this to Off Topic :: Autos, as it is not regarding MINIs.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 AM
mudfoot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GrFa
All I know is the person who hit me should not have been on the road and could have caused so much more damage. I don't want people like that on the road and want everyone to be on the guard whenever they are driving.
I'm glad that you weren't seriously injured. Good thing you wear your seatbelt. What is the story on the other driver though? Fall asleep at the wheel? Drunk?

Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Good to hear you are OK.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:03 AM
meg
5th Gear
OMG, thank goodness you made it out ok!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:24 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Glad to hear you made it out without any serious injuries. Rollovers seem to be the achilles heel of SUVs.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A. I'm glad you're ok.

B. No more SUV's.

C. Thank you for reviving the MG slogan!

Old 01-25-2007, 01:37 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
Well I have been waiting to regain memory of the accident. Yesterday I went back to the scene to pick up some more belongings. On the way up I remembered the initial impact, the other driver hit me HARD. Today my father spoke to one of the winesses of the accident. He, a trucker, said the other driver passed him on the right while looking around inside his car for something. The driver then veered off the road and into the dirt. I definitely remember looking in one of my mirrors and seeing the other car kicking up dirt. The driver then tried to correct, overcorrected and smashed me almost head on into the right rear corner. It has been rumoured that the other driver has a suspended license as well.

Just be careful everybody, and ALWAYS wear a safety belt!

ALSO, the only reason I was driving the Yukon, or any SUV for that matter is for a reason. I was moving back to school for the semester and had it loaded, not only with many items but large items as well that would not fit in the MINI.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:21 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
first off, that seriously sucks, but thankfully you seem to be alright. Def a smart move wearing your belt id say thats what kept you out of the hospital with major injuries.

on another note though, i take it since you said you had a lot of items in the car you were real lucky not to have had any of those injure you during the collision

furthermore, since you were moving and i assume some of the items were personal, and possibly worth a decent amount (id assume a computer was in there?) did they end up alright, or do you have to buy replacement items (well id assume the other guys insurance will pay for the items, right?)

glad to see your alright, b/c relooking at that pic, the Yukon looks like it certainly went through hell

Old 01-26-2007, 06:24 AM
robino
4th Gear
Ka'ching!

i see a big mod list in your future

Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 AM
GrFa
4th Gear
I did have a few expensive items: laptop (made it), Garmin GPS, Valentine 1, lots of clothes and jackets.

The scariest part is I planned on bringing a mattress back to school with me on top of the truck. If I had done that, I would have brought my somewhat large Craftsman tool box and tools. I don't want to know what that would have caused. And I sold a set of wheels and tires to a member on here, I was going to bring them back with me because my school is closer to him than my home. Luckily he came to my house last weekend. A wheel/tire really could have hurt coming at the back of my head.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazing how fate has it's weird little ways.

I wonder if the other driver was insured. Not having a license is sometimes an indicator of the uninsured.

Take care of yourself.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:30 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Amazing how fate has it's weird little ways.

I wonder if the other driver was insured. Not having a license is sometimes an indicator of the uninsured.

Take care of yourself.

Correct.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:54 PM
valcom111t
4th Gear
Ouch. Glad you hear you're ok. Last weekend 5 people, 4 of whom were 20 or 21 and one was 2, were killed in a crash in my hometown of 1500 people. It definatly hits home. I can't agree more with the message of this thread.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:35 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
The worst part is it came completely out of no where. Before this I always felt I would have the ability to avoid (out-maneuver/respond to) an accident, but this situation obviously proves that wrong. It still hasn't hit home, but my driving style in the MINI has definitely changed. I am so cautious and constantly looking around. I guess what I'm trying to say is I still don't know how to approach or react to what happened.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:08 PM
schr5530
4th Gear
-Halftime-
GrFa
I had to look this up after meeting you at the NEmini meet at King's today!
Wow I'm glad you're ok. I never would have guessed this happened if you hadn't shared your story.
I also think I saw the guy who hit you on TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfUrV9s4fgg
I flashed back to this after you said the guy claimed to have merged (into the center lane) without looking

Old 02-05-2007, 04:14 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
Thats a GREAT clip. At first I thought it might have been some news interview and then I opened it in class and realized it was for viewing later. I get critisized for acting too much like Stewie, apparently too cynical and sarcastic for most bawahaha. Gotta love Family Guy.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:59 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
went to college with seth.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
glad your alright. did i miss a mini meet recently?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
Yep there was a meet on the 4th, lunch and a run. I only made it for lunch.

Quick Reply: Be careful out there, A reminder