Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Suv's still selling, how expensive will gas need to be to change the buying habits of

Old 06-09-2005, 04:22 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suv's still selling, how expensive will gas need to be to change the buying habits of

SUV lovers. Though Ford and GM may be hurting due in part to reduced SUV sales, I've found most of the SUV lovers plan on getting another one. I think gas at about $4.00 or more per gallon will be required to change their minds. Any attempted appeal to get them to change because SUV's are gas hogs, bad for the country, enviromentally unsound, etc., falls on deaf ears.

Will will it take to purge most of these monsters from the highways?

Old 06-09-2005, 04:29 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
absolutely nothing....

If you have the money...and you like SUV's...you will continue to buy them

PLUS!

Go look at the high end sports cars... lambo, and such... 10 miles a gallon or less..soo why aren't you talking about them? Just because someone has different opinions than you doesn't mean they are wrong or need to be changed. Just accept the fact that the SUV's will always be there..

-Josh

Old 06-09-2005, 04:39 AM
C4
Banned
Because the prevailing American mentallity of "Bigger is better" will somehow continue to drive the sales of these behemoths, although, a section of the car buying population is coming to terms with these vehicles to realize that they are mostly unsafe, cumbersome, unstable, gas guzzling and impractical for anything outside the scope of what they were designed to do (Off roading, pulling heavy weights, etc).

Americans love big cars and they typically switch to smaller vehicles when the gas prices hurts them in the pocket book. Some change their habits others revert back as soon as gas prices goes down.

However, there is no doubt that we are witnessing the end of the SUV as the "Hot popular" vehicle of choice. The golden days of SUV sales and skyrocketing profits are long gone.

Detroit is not only guilty of the SUV culture, but the Japanese and German manufacturers have been cashing in the SUV crazy in the US. I cringe when I see the Toyota Sequoia, the Nissan Titan and the new fugly Honda Ridge (Chevy Avalanche copycat) from these supposedly "green" companies. The Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5 and Range Rover with their gas guzzling engines don't help matters either.

May be gas in the $5+ range will be the last nail in the coffin for SUVs but I doubt we will ever see gas that high in our country.

Originally Posted by resmini
SUV lovers. Though Ford and GM may be hurting due in part to reduced SUV sales, I've found most of the SUV lovers plan on getting another one. I think gas at about $4.00 or more per gallon will be required to change their minds. Any attempted appeal to get them to change because SUV's are gas hogs, bad for the country, enviromentally unsound, etc., falls on deaf ears.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 AM
C4
Banned
Yes, "exotic" cars have dismal fuel mileage, but the thing is that they are sold in very low numbers because of their exclusivity, high admission price and low production numbers.

Although here in Miami, I see Lambos, Ferraris, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Aston Martins on a rate of 3-4 a day

The poorest metropolitan city in all of the United States has the most fancy and expensive cars circulating in its streets day in and day out.

Miami is a place of contradictions, indeed.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
absolutely nothing....

If you have the money...and you like SUV's...you will continue to buy them

PLUS!

Go look at the high end sports cars... lambo, and such... 10 miles a gallon or less..soo why aren't you talking about them? Just because someone has different opinions than you doesn't mean they are wrong or need to be changed. Just accept the fact that the SUV's will always be there..

-Josh
Sounds like you might be a happy SUV owner? I didn't mention the Lambo, Ferrari or any of the other sports cars with names I can't spell because I never see one where I live, and I would guess they are less than 1% of all vehicles sold in this country. On the other hand, 100 pound women driving 6000 pound SUV's are everywhere. I understand that i can't personally get rid of these things and that, with enought money, you can drive a Sherman tank if you want to.

Still, I think GM is gonna die if they don't produce something people like besides their line of monsters.

Just because you've free to do what you want in this country doesn't expempt being critized for doing dumb things. It only means you can keep on doing them.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:49 AM
C4
Banned
GM is not gonna die. Detroit detractors have been predicting its demise since the early 1970's and 35 years later that hasn't happened, yet.

If the domestic auto industry ever folds up its tent, the repurcussions in our economy could be far reaching and devastating, so be careful what you wish for.

Exotic cars are found in "Fashion conscious" cities like Miami, L.A., New York City, etc. I see them everyday and like I said, Miami is the poorest major city in the US and yet you see million dollar houses and cars very frequently.

But like any third world country, in Miami you see a markedly devide between rich and poor, sometimes you have both extremes but the diference is we have a majority middle class population something that almost does not exist in most Latin American countries.

Miami in my view is an extension of Latin America for better or worse.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GM's doing that everyone gets the Employee Discount campaign so they're
putting more fuel into the fire... but they're also planning to layoff 25,000
workers. they are struggling very badly.

Stop SUV production, people loose their jobs economy goes down the
drain.... who would want that?

It is selfish to say stop SUV production.

I don't particulally like SUV's but I sell over $15M/Yr to GM for factory
installed SUV parts. it's one of the larger business I won a few years ago
and if that goes down the drain I'll have to work even harder to
get other business for sedans/coupes, etc. to replace that amount.
I would like to enjoy some of the hard work I put in to win this business.

Buy GM SUV's! kenchan can have more cash for his MCS. j/k

(Ford ***s!)

Old 06-09-2005, 05:08 AM
resmini
6th Gear
I didn't say I wanted GM to die. I said I think they are going to die....big difference that may have gone unnoticed. Sounds like some believe that since SUV's are here by the millions they should stay.

"Current popularity is no guarantee of future success"

Old 06-09-2005, 05:17 AM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If they are good enough for Canada's Kyoto pushers, they are good enough for the rest of us

So what does Canada's natural resources minister drive when he's not pushing ratification of the Kyoto climate change protocol?

Minister Herb Dhaliwal confessed that, well, he has two Volvos and two sport utility vehicles -- General Motors 4x4s, to be precise. One pair for Ottawa and one pair for his home in Vancouver.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:21 AM
Dr Evil
2nd Gear
I'm in the process of downgrading in size but upgrading in fun factor. I am going from a 12mpg (if I'm lucky) thanks to my lead leg, not foot... leg.. and the big 5.4 Supercharged V8 in my lightning. ITs an awesome truck but it only seats two and it didnt make sense to keep with gas prices going up and the fact my wife drives 160 miles a day to work.

So alas, I await my sweet little Mini. Even though once the guys at work found out we were getting a MINI, I heard all it all... From that car is for homosexuals, to if you ever wreck in it your DEAD..

Unphased I still placed my order and it should be here in August.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:28 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
If you have the money...and you like SUV's...you will continue to buy them <snip>

Just because someone has different opinions than you doesn't mean they are wrong or need to be changed. Just accept the fact that the SUV's will always be there..
Sounds like you might be a happy SUV owner? I didn't mention the Lambo, Ferrari or any of the other sports cars with names I can't spell because I never see one where I live, and I would guess they are less than !% of all vehicles sold in this country. On the other hand, 100 pound women driving 6000 pound SUV's are everywhere. I understand that i can't personally get rid of these things and that, with enought money, you can drive a Sherman tank if you want to.

Still, I think GM is gonna die if they don't produce something people like besides their line of monsters.

Just because you've free to do what you want in this country doesn't expempt being critized for doing dumb things. It only means you can keep on doing them.
This reminds me of the Civics and American Government classes we had in school. You both make some really good points. You're touching on two of the most basic rights our country was founded upon: Pursuit of Happiness & Freedom of Speech. And, you're right that these rights can and do co-exist.

When it comes right down to it, I support a marketplace that provides a wide variety of choices, from Hummers to Hybrids. I see cars on the road every day that I would never choose because they're boring, ill-handling, inefficient, over-priced or just not my cup of tea. I support those people's right to choose those vehicles. I don't want to tell them what to drive. And I don't want them to try to tell me what to drive.

At the same time, I think it's both sad and humorous that a great many SUV owners are surprised and hurt by the increase in gas prices. It's not like you couldn't see it coming. The SUV Boom and the HP War that have been going on in recent years combine to send a clear signal to OPEC that now's the time to raise oil prices. This is a global free market in action. Ain't it cool!

Truth is I bought a MINI because I like it, not because of the gas mileage. SUV owners bought SUV's because they like them, with little thought of the gas mileage. If gas prices continue to increase, the market for SUV's will contract. Maybe the prices will even come down far enough to make them attractive to me. They are handy for trips to the Home Center of your choice.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:35 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LizzyBobio
If they are good enough for Canada's Kyoto pushers, they are good enough for the rest of us
Yeah, if Arnold the Guvenator from Cal-lee-forn-knee-ya drives a Hummer maybe we all should. I heard he's asking Maria to give him another Hummer for his birthday.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:38 AM
HMC
2nd Gear
GM/Ford and the other SUV manufacturing companies do NOT need to go away. What we need them to do is to design and produce more fuel-efficient vehicles, that have less of an impact on the environment and our pockets!

PLUS: We need more incentives for people to utilize public transportation as well as motorcycles and bicycles. i.e. tax saving for companies who offer free or reduced priced bus/train passes for employees; or more designated motorcycle parking at public areas; more training for the public on respecting motorcyclists; implementing traffic laws that favor motorcycle commuting etc....ooh here's another bright idea along the lines of the gas-guzzler tax: tax incentives for purchasing 4 cylinder cars (even if they are supercharged!)

LIKE THIS ONE:

(JK!)

Old 06-09-2005, 05:59 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
100 pound women driving 6000 pound SUV's are everywhere.
resmini, I agree with you in spirit, but I am so tired of seeing this stereotype presented as if it's some sort of reasonable argument against SUVs. Is a 200 pound male in a 2 ton SUV any less ridiculous? Unless you're Shaq and you can't fit in a smaller car, it's a pointless thing to bring up.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:03 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I love my SUV. IT is great when I need to go off road and when I need to bring fill dirt and other messy stuff back from home depot.

The rest of the time I love my MINI!

Old 06-09-2005, 06:10 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Suv's and trucks have there intened uses.

Suv's and Full size trucks are great if you use them for camping and towing.
I cringe when I see them being driven with only the driver and no passengers, that is a big waste. When I see an Suv loaded with people and towing a boat or whatever, I can aleast see that it is doing what its designed for.
I will be keeping my F-150 because it is a truck and will be used as a truck.
For all else it will be the MINI or my Subaru 2.5RS as personal transportion.

cheers

Old 06-09-2005, 06:20 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
It's a matter of cultural momentum, imo. The pendulum will have to swing before buying habits change substantially. Having extremely good alternatives....like MINIs...out there helps a lot. At least it gives the discussion of vehicle choices a different direction to go in.

"Fun" has not been in the average motorist's vocabulary for a long time. Safety and reliability have. It's a pity we don't see more premium small cars that have all the safety features and amenities people require nowadays...and why can't fun become a reasonable expectation for a car? The great thing about MINIs is that they also make the fun-factor somewhat practical, affordable, and attainable.

I do hope engine technology will some day take cars (and SUVs) out of the air pollution equation altogether. When that's said and done then vehicle size becomes a question of something more profound....a matter of justice. Look at the dimensions human frame. How much space/resource do we really require for transport? This was Issigonis' problem and he solved it, giving us the Mini. But this applies to many facets of human existance and the human community and it is something we will have to face...probably not in my lifetime. Conspicuous consumption is simply not cool and never has been. It is a dead end street....and an unhealthy way to proceed long-term.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:21 AM
mikem53
5th Gear

Can you pull a boat or a trailer with your mini? Can you seat 6 or 7 kids with a small car? Can you carry a wheelchair or tablesaw in your mini? There are plenty of people who use their large SUV's and their V8's for good reason. Why should you care or judge what they drive. Just because you don't think there is a need for these types of cars doesn't make it so.
Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing. I'm glad I have the freedom to choose what I want to drive and to have the great selection of cars in the marketplace to suit my needs.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Goose
3rd Gear
I agree with many eMINI's sentiments.

While I think huge trucks/SUV's as personal transportation rather stupid, I wouldn't want others telling me what to drive. On the other hand, I dislike hearing the owners of these behemoths whine about the price of fuel. Unfortunately it has been my experience that the majority of drivers care very little about what they drive -- other than "what it says about them".

I'm currently torn regarding my vehicle, a basic 2004 Toyota Tacoma. The 4-banger's supposed to get 24/27 mpg, but I doubt it.

My problem is this: I've gotten used to having a vehicle that I don't have to obsess over (I'm a detailing freak). It's nice to have the ability to haul big stuff, but honestly, I only do this about once a month (if that often). Should I keep it once the MINI arrives, or does the MINI make a good little hauler?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread...

Old 06-09-2005, 07:02 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Goose
I've gotten used to having a vehicle that I don't have to obsess over (I'm a detailing freak).
I hear you, sometimes I wish I wasn't driven to such obsession w/ my MINI.

HA..........I'n Just Keeding!!!!!!!!!!

(no, I'm not someone please help me..........)

NAW....really, I love it!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Goose
It's nice to have the ability to haul big stuff, but honestly, I only do this about once a month (if that often). Should I keep it once the MINI arrives, or does the MINI make a good little hauler?
MINIs are quite capable in so many ways. It is my only car (at least the only one I drive) and I have taken on many projects that required some level of hauling capability. The MINI was great!!! I even had one larger project...I had to design it (and my trips to Home Depot) somewhat carefully, but it worked!!! Really, you have to look at the kind of hauling you do. 4x8 sheets of plywood....no. Most everything else....yes. Often there are other ways around the more difficult hauling dilemmas...takes some creative problem solving.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:27 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nolimit
Suv's and trucks have there intened uses.

Suv's and Full size trucks are great if you use them for camping and towing.
Second person in this thread to say it... I disagree though... the INTENDED use of many of these trucks isn't work, hauling or towing. It's going to the grocery store or carrying kids to the mall. Many of them are loaded with tons of crap like DVD players and power opening doors, and power folding seats and whatever else they can charge you extra for... and that's just the "legitimate" SUV's like the Expedition. The midsize SUV's don't even pretent to be anything but people movers.

I agree that people should have the right to choose, just as I should have the right to label them as environmentally unfriendly. If nothing else, I can feel environmentally superior to my neighbor who daily drives an H2.

What I DO have a problem with is the government loopholes for these vehicles. Back in the days when trucks were only used for work, the truck exemption for overall manufacturer fuel efficiency made sense. It was an easy argument that these trucks were needed to perform a job. Times have changed though... the auto makers are pushing these vehicles on the public - mostly because it's the only thing they're reasonably good at making. The whole concept behind the truck exemption is now false and it is making a mockery of the pollution standards in place in the country.

I was watching the Autoweek review of the new Dodge Magnum the other day and thinking... if you can't make a good car, just make a BIG car...

[edit] and BTW, as Mini owners (and especially S owners) we shouldn't feel so high and mighty about gas mileage. The S gets crappy gas mileage compared to equally powered compacts.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:30 AM
ElonCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mikem53
Can you pull a boat or a trailer with your mini? Can you seat 6 or 7 kids with a small car? Can you carry a wheelchair or tablesaw in your mini? There are plenty of people who use their large SUV's and their V8's for good reason. Why should you care or judge what they drive. Just because you don't think there is a need for these types of cars doesn't make it so.
Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing. I'm glad I have the freedom to choose what I want to drive and to have the great selection of cars in the marketplace to suit my needs.
Thanks to mikem53 for saying exactly what I was thinking while reading this post. I'm amazed at the SUV bashing I hear. And locally, when the snow storms are really bad, I've yet to hear the hospitals call out for help getting the staff to the hospital, by calling all small, short, gas efficient cars to the rescue.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Monkey_Boy
5th Gear
I own one of these, Cummins diesel, 20+ mpg.

So I can haul this to the track. It gets, oh, about 15mpg on the track.

And this I drive for pure fun. Maybe 12mpg on the track.

Got a problem with my use of fossil fuel? Tough.
Funny how the largest vehicle in my fleet gets the best fuel economy.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 AM
mini d
5th Gear
Because some people need them...

. I am really so sick of all this posturing about SUVs. I wonder if over on the Ford Diesel board they post everyday about how MINI owners can't haul refrigerators or boats or such. Let it go, I am suprised how people in general will find something that makes them feel superior to others and will spout it all the time. (By the way, I would post a similar argument over there if somebody actually was posting stuff like this on the Diesel board)

Old 06-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Trucks and SUVs have their place, I just can't understand how some of them became status symbols for the weak minded. I'm convinced that if they took an Escalade, gave it cloth seats, manual windows, hubcaps, left the powertrain and suspension alone and priced it $20,000 less, they wouldn't sell a one.

Quick Reply: Suv's still selling, how expensive will gas need to be to change the buying habits of