Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

10 Habits of Highly Effective Bad Drivers

Old 08-25-2004, 03:52 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 Habits of Highly Effective Bad Drivers

(But I'll be brief and mention only 5 here. These were on today's MSNBC web site):

1. Do you talk on a cell phone while driving instead of pulling off and stopping to talk?

2. Do you take your coffee and muffin or other food and drink on the road with you, driving with one hand while using the other to eat?

3. Do you hate driving behind SUVs or other large vehicles that obstruct your view?
(more than 60% of bad drivers say they are frustrated driving behind SUVs. Who isn't?)

4. Do you find yourself in confrontations on the road, either through verbal arguments or hand gestures, because of either your own driving habits or the habits of others?

5. When you're driving with passengers, do you turn around to talk, taking your eyes and mind off the road?

Old 08-25-2004, 03:59 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zgokart
3. Do you hate driving behind SUVs or other large vehicles that obstruct your view?
Yep, that's me. I like being able to see four or five car lengths ahead for slowdowns. I also hate driving behind cars with tinted windows for the same reason. Oddly enought, in both driving school and in racing school, they teach you look way down the road. Why? So you can have time to plan out and react to changing conditions. If not liking to drive behind SUVs is a sign of a bad driver, then it is also a sign of being a smart driver!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 04:14 PM
BostonMarkC
4th Gear
6. I hate it when people flick cigarette butts out of their damned window

Old 08-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BostonMarkC
6. I hate it when people flick cigarette butts out of their damned window
AMEN to that!!! And it's almost always women. Just today I was following a nice SAAB in traffic...a hand was waving a cigarette out the window - can't stink up the car after all - and sure enough, eventually just dropped it on the road. I eventually passed and sure enough - woman....and I do not hesitate to say pig.

Peter
Who just had his button pushed

Old 08-25-2004, 04:47 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Khodabear
AMEN to that!!! And it's almost always women. Just today I was following a nice SAAB in traffic...a hand was waving a cigarette out the window - can't stink up the car after all - and sure enough, eventually just dropped it on the road. I eventually passed and sure enough - woman....and I do not hesitate to say pig.
Litter bug! Makes me sad

I see it all the time. What are these people thinking? Do they do that at home in the house or what? Of course not. They might go outside to smoke and dump the butts anywhere they want most likely.

Most places these days are not "friendly" to smokers in the US. Not so in other countries. Japan has got to be one of the worse for "too many smokers". I wonder if anyone has seen Japanese drivers drop butts out their windows? Over there it is very expensive to drive so most people don't in the big cities.

Other bad things-
Driving the speed limit in the fast lane.
Driving too fast in the fog/heavy rain. (unsafe)
Leaving a heavy trail of smoke pouring out your exhaust.
Driving with highbeams on in city areas.
Not letting pedestrians cross the road at crosswalks.
Playing loud very bass ridden music for all to hear in urban areas.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:21 PM
benzamg
3rd Gear
And I was beginning to think I was the only one who gets ticked off at drivers who flick their cigarettes out the window..

Its not just that its littering, but that thing is still burning. Its a potential fire hazard..

...Just the thing I love on a beautiful open-air motoring day... a smoker in front of me with cigarette out the window.... yah.....

Originally Posted by Khodabear

Peter
Who just had his button pushed

Old 08-25-2004, 06:29 PM
lotsie
Banned
On the mostly deserted highway I commute on I do drink coffee when no one is close to me.I will also answer my cell in hands free mode,in the same conditions.2 down for me,sorry.But last week I saw two different people reading a book while they were driving.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:54 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
And now I hear they are going to make it so you can use your computer in your car

I do drink coffee, answer my cell phone handsfree, & I do hate to get behind great big, huge SUVs etc that makes it impossible to see the road ahead
And it's mostly men I see throwing their cig butts out the window. Funny what we see & don't see. But I wouldn't go as far as calling them pigs

Lois

Old 08-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
And it's mostly men I see throwing their cig butts out the window. Funny what we see & don't see. But I wouldn't go as far as calling them pigs

Lois
Oh I'm not saying that men don't toss their butts and I see men open their doors, lean out, and spit up a flob (Great word I am stealing from another post) of chewing tobacco on the road while at stop lights. That must drive women crazy 'cause a lot of guys do it and think they're reeeeally cool.

With regard to cigarettes, you usually don't see men hanging their hand outside the car as they smoke it the way women do...I'm sure the women don't want to stink like cigarettes when they get out...and dropping it on the ground is a natural extension of that. I certainly will go so far as to call them pigs and do so with some regularity! These are my streets too and they have no right to trash them up...a butt is no different from a soda can or burger wrapper.

Now...and there have been threads on the boards about this...what's the deal with playing DVD's in the car? People have asked if the Sat/Nav screen can be used to play DVD's...so...are we to presume you love your MINI so much you want to sit in the garage and watch a movie in it...because you certainly wouldn't while you drive...would you???

When you see programs like Overhaulin and Pimp my Ride they're always putting screens in ther visors and the headrests..who's watching what??

Peter
Getting crusty in his old age in Denver

Old 08-25-2004, 09:15 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Peter,

I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were calling women in general pigs. And being a woman, I would naturally take offense to that comment. And as far as "litterbugs" are concerned, I dislike them as much as you. Male or female!

Lois

Old 08-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Califzeph
5th Gear
We don't smoke in our MINI, we don't eat in him, I do allow coffee in a travel mug with lid.

SUV's don't bother me, I go around them (fast!).

Old 08-26-2004, 09:11 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What really ticks me off is when 2 slow cars line up each other on a 4lane hwy and you can't pass either of them... especially during the weekday
geezer hour (10am - 1:30pm) and I need to get to the airport for my biz trip.

SUV's are annoying, but as long as they're going as fast as other traffic
and no faster, I don't mind them too much.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:39 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
Can't believe no-one hasn't posted this one. Everyone just loves this driver...
you know the one that speeds up, passes you and gets in front of you only
to turn right in the next 100 ft. Now that ticks me off! Yes, SUV's are annoying,
especially Hummers, reminds me Clo, did you get your Black Humvee yet?
Charles

Old 09-18-2004, 08:47 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=zgokart 3. Do you hate driving behind SUVs or other large vehicles that obstruct your view?[QUOTE]

Yes I do, but I don't get how this is considered a "highly effective" bad driving habit tho I just back off a bit so's I can see. Jimbo

Old 09-21-2004, 08:28 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
I'm guessing that "they" feel if you're behind a SUV, you might get impatient and try to overtake the SUV at a dangerous moment.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:15 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CharlesWil
Yes, SUV's are annoying, especially Hummers, reminds me Clo, did you get your Black Humvee yet?
Charles
Nope, Charles! That was a vicious rumor...and gee, THANKS SO MUCH for mentioning it, again!

Clover

Old 09-22-2004, 07:09 PM
lotsie
Banned
[QUOTE=sequence]
Originally Posted by zgokart 3. Do you hate driving behind SUVs or other large vehicles that obstruct your view?[QUOTE

Yes I do, but I don't get how this is considered a "highly effective" bad driving habit tho I just back off a bit so's I can see. Jimbo
I may back off,or have a look from their right,you can see way down the road from the edge of the shoulder of the road.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:05 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
Steve Martin once did a routine on litter bugs....he said he just hated to ride in cars that was filled with litter....he on the other hand always kept litter bags hanging on the doors....so...that when the litter bags got full..you just throw em out