Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Chrysler Crossfire

Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 AM
minipooper02
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrysler Crossfire

As the title states.
What are your opinions on the Chrysler crossfire?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM
navycav3
3rd Gear
i think they are overpriced

anywho this might get moved as it should be in off topic other cars

Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM
adam76
3rd Gear
Pretty sharp. I've seen quite a few around here. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of them on the roads. I still much prefer the MINI. But, I have been brain-washed.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
I think they are a nice looking car too. I happened to talk to a guy not too long ago who sold his MINI to buy one and was very sorry he did so. Not a winter weather car at all.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever sat in one? Possibly the most cramped car I've ever sat in... and I'm 5'-10" and slight of build... even the '79 Spitfire feels roomier... I'd only ever get a convertible version. I can understand the tempation... good looking car... a local dealer was blowing them out a couple of years ago at insane prices.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was a Crossfire with all of the "Chrysler" badging removed and replaced with "AMG"... I kid you not... I have (cell phone) pics... nearly drove off the road I was laughing so hard...

Old 10-25-2007, 12:27 PM
pbraun
5th Gear
Originally Posted by IanF
Ever sat in one? Possibly the most cramped car I've ever sat in... and I'm 5'-10" and slight of build... even the '79 Spitfire feels roomier... I'd only ever get a convertible version. I can understand the tempation... good looking car... a local dealer was blowing them out a couple of years ago at insane prices.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was a Crossfire with all of the "Chrysler" badging removed and replaced with "AMG"... I kid you not... I have (cell phone) pics... nearly drove off the road I was laughing so hard...
lol......I agree - they look good, but uncomfortable in the extreme and underpowered , poor handling pos.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

that is likely because the crossfire is built on the previous generation mercedes roadster platform.

I don't think you can get one in a manual transmission, which would kill the deal for me. well, that plus the 350z beats the crossfire in every way imaginable.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:35 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
they look good, but uncomfortable in the extreme and underpowered , poor handling pos
and if you're going for looks, just go with the Sky or Solstice

I don't think you can get one in a manual transmission,
The Base and Limited are available in both . . . the SRT-6 is NOT -- which I think is crazy "Let's produce a performance version of the car to respond to the 'underpowered' and 'underperforming' criticism . . . but let's not offer that one in manual."

Last edited by eager2own; 10-25-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, that's not a *complete* stretch. After all, the underpinnings of the Crossfire are based on the last-generation Mercedes SLK. I don't know how many of the AMG parts that could be fitted to the last SLK would work on the Crossfire, but there's a chance that the owner could have put a bunch of AMG pieces on a Crossfire.

In fact, the Crossfire SRT-6 is little more than a last-generation SLK32 AMG with different sheet metal.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
jakay11
4th Gear
If I were to get a crossfire, I'd go for the AMG motor, w/drop-top... VERY pricey though.
However, I have NOT been impressed with their handling or build quality.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
a local dealer was blowing them out a couple of years ago at insane prices.
The best is a year or two ago when Chrysler started to push these through Overstock.com (I kid not)

Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 PM
totamdu
3rd Gear
My Insurance agent used to have one. He says quote "I have had more fun driving your MINI than any other car."

On a side note he had to trade it in because he had 2 kids and the wife wanted something with a backseat, but he couldn't talk her into a MINI. She took it when he was sleeping in on a saturday and came back with a minivan. ahahahaha

Old 10-25-2007, 01:03 PM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
crossfire;
25 mp hwy.
6 cyl.
30k pounds
215 hp
price 30k +
for that money you could get a JCW MCS same power better handling and provably better MPG (or at least the same ).

Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
IanF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
The Base and Limited are available in both . . . the SRT-6 is NOT -- which I think is crazy "Let's produce a performance version of the car to respond to the 'underpowered' and 'underperforming' criticism . . . but let's not offer that one in manual."
Not true... I was looking at an SRT-6 a few months ago at a dealer and it was a 6 spd. Used... they were asking about $30K for it, IIRC... But is was white... which is what I told the hawks that swarmed over me as soon as I got within 5 feet of the car...

Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
Not true... I was looking at an SRT-6 a few months ago at a dealer and it was a 6 spd. Used...
That must have been a later change. . . they were not offered in manual during the first year.

Last edited by eager2own; 10-25-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM
minipooper02
3rd Gear
Not true... I was looking at an SRT-6 a few months ago at a dealer and it was a 6 spd. Used... they were asking about $30K for it, IIRC... But is was white... which is what I told the hawks that swarmed over me as soon as I got within 5 feet of the car...
FALSE..
the srt-6 supercharged one doesnt come with a manual.
the base and limited come with a 6 speed or 5 speed automatic.

Confusion-
0-60 times and quarter mile says that the crossfire is faster than a MCS.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
FALSE..
+1 -- Thanks, I thought I was losing my mind

Last edited by eager2own; 10-25-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:34 PM
minipooper02
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
+1 -- Thanks, I thought I was losing my mind
:impatient

been there, felt like that............ ^^

Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 PM
IanF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minipooper02
FALSE..

Confusion-
0-60 times and quarter mile says that the crossfire is faster than a MCS.
I could swear it was a manual... but it was awhile ago... and I'll never make claims to paying all that much attention to them that... just thought they look cool (why I looked at the car) and have crappy ergonomics (why I'll never buy one)... definitely form>function... When I want a sports car that's a PITA, I'll buy an Elise.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:11 PM
comet5o4
4th Gear
Haha, I actually was looking at buying either a Crossfire, TT, or Cooper. Guess which one I bought...

Old 10-25-2007, 05:38 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crossfire... fit and finish is subpar, clutch felt disconnected (honestly terrible..Cobalt felt better), shifter was sloppy...

plus the design is dated.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
I never liked the truncated butt with the moving spoiler (as in really spoiling the looks when up). The grooves in the hood are a distinctive feature that Chrysler will waste on other models. The square exhaust tips seem weird compared to the MINIs.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The entire Daimler takover of Chrysler was a debacle from the outset. What was promised to be 'a merger of equals', where there would be lots of coordinated development between the two major brands, platform sharing and the like ended up being mostly a do-nothing takeover, where most of the existing Chrysler management was either shown the door or relegated to underling status, development goals for new models were changed for the worst, the focus of model design for Chrysler products became myopic at best (are we tired of crosshair grilles on everything yet?) and the 'platform sharing' amounting to Chrysler sucking on the hind teat a la Crossfire.

MB was impressed with Chrysler's concept-to-product timeline, which by the mid-90s was the envy of the entire industry. MB had been mired in stodgy, slow-evolving models for a long time, plus they really wanted an inside track into the US and a means to develop models efficiently in their biggest market. Daimler soaked up Chrysler, saddled it with their ego and kept most of their attention on the MB end of the scene. It became clear that most of the parts and technology sharing was to be minnimal at best, MB did not want to risk the perception by the hoi polloi of brand dilution by proletariat Chrysler underpinnings. Most of the momentum Chrysler had built up during the 90s was sapped, and their current lineup shows it. Daimler had no choice but to toss off the cannibalized hulk of Chrysler in oder to save face.

Chrysler has the tough job of rebuilding their forward momentum and model lineup under the watchful eyes of their corporate raiders. If plans to develop a small car with Chinese manufacturer Chery goes through, they stand to lose more respect IMO and end up with a second-rate car that no one will want to buy. Daimler still holds a 20% stake, and some tech and model sharing will still happen (Bluetec diesels in Jeep models, Sprinter vans, etc).

Times are going to be interesting.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
MDK
6th Gear
MB owners were also screaming to the company to dump Chrysler. The CEO of DB got the boot first and then after throwing way too money into fixing Chrysler compiled with taking their attention off MB which saw a drop in quality finally got too much to take. Daimler is now going back to gaining back the quality of MB which I hope works. I've got a 00 E320 wagon that was made right after merger and before any real changes were made-the 02+ MB's had some bad quality problems and you could see that Daimler had turned their attention away from Mercedes.