2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
iPhone wireless adapter for non connected MINI

#1 Report Post
Old Today, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
iPhone Wireless Audio solution for non-connected systems
Today I installed a pretty cool little wireless adapter that works great for lossless audio. (I have actually been using it for about 3 weeks but I finally hid it today) I will attach pics to this post of the install. I have a 2012 R60s with the HK system but I do not have Mini Connected. Found this device while reading a thread on Reddit about different wireless solutions others have tried. Here is a link to it on Amazon.
Amazon.com: SABRENT Wi-Fi Audio Receiver for Home Stereo, Portable Speakers (WF-RADU): AV House Amazon.com: SABRENT Wi-Fi Audio Receiver for Home Stereo, Portable Speakers (WF-RADU): AV House

The thing that makes this device different is it is WiFi and uses Air Play instead of Bluetooth. This means it sounds better than Bluetooth because there is no compression. It takes about 10-15 seconds to boot up. To make things better it only cost about $20.00!

If you decide to purchase just make sure to update the firmware and watch the video on Amazon about how to link it to your iPhone.

So to hide the device I just bought a new USB/AUX IN socket (cost me about $50, my original was giving me some problems anyway) Here is a link http://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/show...ssembly=423868
I then took the new socket and connected it to the factory wires.
Then I used the new socket to plug in the wireless adapter and hid it under the gearshifter boot. I left the old socket in the original location even though it is useless now. This adapter will also work just sitting in the center rail if you don't want to hide it. I just hate wires showing anywhere in my car.

See pics....

Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 PM
PtMini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Great idea. The non Mini Connect radio is garbage. I have been mowing over ways to get another head-unit in place of the factory CD with still utilizing the area in the gauge cluster. I've seen the sticker and emblem idea, but it does not look OE or like it is supposed to be there. I have a few ideas and it is a matter of finding the time to do it or wanting to.
However, with that said, do youu access your iphone aux, usb or ipod via the HU? What I mean, does the Mini HU read it as an iPhone being connected? Thank you in advance-PtMini

Last edited by PtMini; 10-20-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 PM
uslfcfan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Since writing the post I have switched from the wifi adapter to a Bluetooth adapter. It is much better I think. The wifi adapter started giving me lots of problems. Anyway here is a link to the Bluetooth adapter I am now using.
https://www.amazon.com/WMA3000B-Tune...etooth+adapter

It does read as an iPod on the factory head unit and that's how I access it. You can see song titles and use some of the steering wheel controls with it.

Here is something else you might be interested in. Let me know how it works if you try it.

http://m.catecglobal.com/In-dash-2-d...R60-_p817.html

Originally Posted by PtMini
Great idea. The non Mini Connect radio is garbage. I have been mowing over ways to get another head-unit in place of the factory CD with still utilizing the area in the gauge cluster. I've seen the sticker and emblem idea, but it does not look OE or like it is supposed to be there. I have a few ideas and it is a matter of finding the time to do it or wanting to.
However, with that said, do youu access your iphone aux, usb or ipod via the HU? What I mean, does the Mini HU read it as an iPhone being connected? Thank you in advance-PtMini

Old 10-21-2016, 07:55 AM
PtMini
2nd Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by uslfcfan
Since writing the post I have switched from the wifi adapter to a Bluetooth adapter. It is much better I think. The wifi adapter started giving me lots of problems. Anyway here is a link to the Bluetooth adapter I am now using.
https://www.amazon.com/WMA3000B-Tune...etooth+adapter

It does read as an iPod on the factory head unit and that's how I access it. You can see song titles and use some of the steering wheel controls with it.

Here is something else you might be interested in. Let me know how it works if you try it.

http://m.catecglobal.com/In-dash-2-d...R60-_p817.html
Thank you for looking out. I checked it out and submitted a request. I will keep you updated when I here back - PtMini

Old 10-30-2016, 04:44 PM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Interesting thread...

That $99 adapter you think'll work in my '13 Clubman where the USB & audio input are ahead of the shift console?

I plugged my new iPhone 7 Plus in with the Apple-supplied USB/Lightning cable from my 6S today only to get a message scrolled up that 'cable is non-supported."

WFT? I can blame Apple for changing things I suppose but isn't USB gonna be USB from one year to the next?

If $99 gets me tunes rather than spending $28,000 for a 2017 Clubman - much as I'd like one - I'm going for it!

Old 10-30-2016, 05:01 PM
PtMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sp_clark
Interesting thread...

That $99 adapter you think'll work in my '13 Clubman where the USB & audio input are ahead of the shift console?

I plugged my new iPhone 7 Plus in with the Apple-supplied USB/Lightning cable from my 6S today only to get a message scrolled up that 'cable is non-supported."

WFT? I can blame Apple for changing things I suppose but isn't USB gonna be USB from one year to the next?

If $99 gets me tunes rather than spending $28,000 for a 2017 Clubman - much as I'd like one - I'm going for it!
WAIT!!! Just get the 30-8 pin adapter. It has to be the Apple one because these no label ones are hit and miss. I just went to Walmart and spent $30 on it and it works great.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:17 PM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
30-8? You got a part #?

Where does that fit between my 7 Plus's Lightning socket & my Clubman's USB port?

Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 PM
PtMini
2nd Gear
Does you Clubman have usb and 3.5mm aux port too? If so, did you get the mini 30 pin adapter cable? If so use this from apple:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD...30-pin-adapter

Old 10-31-2016, 03:37 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Have both ports, but don't recall getting connector you mentioned when I picked up my Clubman late in 2012. Maybe they weren't available back then? I'll have to see if I can find one somehow....

Old 10-31-2016, 08:22 AM
PtMini
2nd Gear
Have both ports, but don't recall getting connector you mentioned when I picked up my Clubman late in 2012. Maybe they weren't available back then? I'll have to see if I can find one somehow....

Here is a quick link on ebay i looked up to explain. You can buy there or at the dealer. If you are not in a huge rush, you can have mine in a couple of weeks for $0. I am changing out my HU to acquire different options that I like more than what is offered in OE HU. You can also have my 30 to lightening adapter too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Y-Cable-USB-...sAAOSwQTVV9nlz

Old 10-31-2016, 09:51 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Thanks for the offer but... I guess I had a Senior Moment over not getting my 7+ & Clubman connected happily yesterday. Forgot I had a thingy I'd bought from OWC awhile back that works just fine. My recollection of the cost was near that $30 point, plus shipping of course.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:50 PM
PtMini
2nd Gear
/\ Glad to here you got it working. I will post the adapter and cable under the market place and to anyone interested it will be free. I may ask for you to pay shipping.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:45 PM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
In fact the thingy - USB & 3.5mm male plugs on one end, Lightning on the other with a block of magic in the middle - I got from a MINI dealer. OWC supplied a male/female USB extension cord (dickens to find anywhere local!) 'cause the MINI thingy's so short it was useless with my phone anywhere but hanging off it beside the shifter.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:49 PM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Pt you're awfully generous to put those bits up for adoption, but don't count too awfully hard on me paying the shipping!

Old 10-31-2016, 08:41 PM
PtMini
2nd Gear
Pt you're awfully generous to put those bits up for adoption, but don't count too awfully hard on me paying the shipping!
LOL! So sorry. I meant whom ever wants them.