Navigation & Audio Tweeter Mounter for R60

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM
TNMinimal
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tweeter Mounter for R60

New to the forum and have read through the threads and I HOPE I am not asking an old question!

I have a 2012 CM with "Boost CD AM/FM audio system with HD radio technology, six speaker, presets, and AUX input jack" (per the window sticker).

Looking to upgrade the sound system. First choice would be to install the HK system. I've been unable to find a kit. So, to go this route I am looking for information as follows:

1. Can you get the tweeter mounts? Part number? I've not found them anywhere online other than A Pillar mounts for R56/57.

2. Is the wiring already there for the tweeters? Would be nice to find it is sitting there unused behind the door panel.

3. Does this system have an amp, and does the connection work with the HK amp? (or other amp as raised in the alternate approach below)

4. Where do the tweeters mount in the rear?

Alternate approach - forget the HK approach and upgrade inside the current speaker grills. Found a couple of very helpful threads on this and it sounds like there are a number of speaker options that will fit right in with little or no modification required. What about the amp? Can you swap to a new amp with the same wiring? (back to my earlier question about the very presence of an amp). I really don't want to take up more space in the boot with a new amp rack.

Again - apologies if I am rehashing an old thread. For those of us for whom the sound system is a nice-to-have (not a huge audiophile) and don't do this often there seem to be limited options out there for turn-key upgrades.

Just got the car. My last one was a 2005 hardtop. I needed something a bit more practical for work and was concerned the CM was going to be boring but it still has that go-cart thing going on. I just need a sticker for the back that says "NOT A SOCCER MOM/DAD." Adding stripes, driving lights, and a better sound system to dress it up a bit. Then maybe a WARN winch...hmmmmm

Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 AM
TNMinimal
Neutral
make that "Tweeter Mounts for R60."

Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Solar10
2nd Gear
I am currently doing an aftermarket upgrade to my R60's sound system Same as yours, Base "Boost" system, 6 speakers, yadda yadda. The tweeter mounts aren't in the a pillars, they are in the triangle between the door frame and a pillar. They are not pre-wired, as far as I have seen. My installer said he had to order them from Germany because the local Mini dealer did not have them in stock.

I am adding the 2 tweeters, swapping out all 6 stock speakers, and adding an amp'd sub in the sub-floor of the boot... and possibly a separate amp for the remaining 8 speakers, and a decent processor.

There are other "kit" upgrades available aftermarket. Integral Audio is popular and seems to do the trick for a lot of folks. And they have a presence on the forums here.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 AM
CtotheP
1st Gear
Great info, I'm looking to upgrade as well. Keep it coming!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
There is the MINI R60 HK speaker pods and covers. You could take the cover off that is black and retrofit these in. They come with the spring clip.

These were on R60 MINI Countryman that come with Harman Kardon only. Base system does not have them.

HK support base plate - Left

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51419806205/ES2543423/

HK support base plate - Right

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51419806206/ES2543424/

The Base Plate HK covers

HK Speaker Grille Cover - Left

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51339804689/ES2537784/

HK Speaker Grille Cover - Right

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51339804690/ES2210846/

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-11-2015, 08:36 PM
OSilvera
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hello there, just came across this thread.
I have a 2015 countryman now and it does not have the HK system. If I got those HK tweeters and covers listed on your site, would I find the cable connector there on the top of the door and would I then have working upper door tweeters?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Ozzie

Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Don't know if its prewired on the newer, most likly not. I would pull the door panel off and check, if not. You could tap in with speaker wire to the door channel for the single speaker.

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-24-2015, 05:40 PM
jkline
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Door speaker wire routing?

Anyone have luck running new wires through the door frame umbilical? The door side seems doable, but the frame side is pretty dense. Especially if you are looking at 16 gauge speaker wire. I pulled the kick panel on both sides and could not find a path with my fingers. Ideas?

BTW, I did the pillar triangles using the MINI parts like ECSTuning shows. Worked like a charm, albeit with Focal tweeters.

Attached Thumbnails Tweeter Mounter for R60-pillar.jpg   Tweeter Mounter for R60-finished.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
sbreech (03-30-2020)
Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks looks great and nice mode.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Joeyliv
1st Gear
What about just doing a good 4" coax in the door.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM
jkline
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on what your expectations and budget is.
Satellite/component speakers will always outperform their single driver counterparts, but are typically more costly. Being able to get the tweeters closer to ear level produce better high frequency response and stereo imaging. The CM door location is still well below ear level. A coaxial design might be an improvement over the stock single driver, but only just. It also doesn't help that your choice of 4" component speakers are limited.
If you have $150-$200 to spend you can find some component systems like these maybe:
Amazon.com : Planet Audio P42CKX, 4" (10cm), 2-way Compo System, 80Watt RMS : Electronics : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Planet Audio P42CKX, 4" (10cm), 2-way Compo System, 80Watt RMS : Electronics : Car Electronics

Hope this helps.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:57 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious if this wiring noted where my finger is ........ is that the tweeter connection??? I totally forgot to get the wiring color. But the connector is taped up just above my finger. This picture is from the passenger side upper front and in the harness where the the 4" is connected to (blue wiring seen in the picture). The picture is from a 2013 CM JCW with NAV and the base audio system.

Attached Thumbnails Tweeter Mounter for R60-cm-door-panel.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 02:29 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyliv
What about just doing a good 4" coax in the door.
I did this for my wife's CMS a few months ago; put in a set of Infinity Reference X REF-4002cfx. Far from top of the line, but good. The mid-range and highs are far far far better, but the bass is lacking. When I listen to Apocalyptica, the lowest strings are barely there, and there's an a cappella quartet in which the bass singer is literally not there at all; sounds like a trio.

For which reason, I've begun following the discussions of the Earthquake SWS 8 closely. Thinking about dropping in a couple. She doesn't want massive sound, but big drivers do need the power to move them.

Anyone tried the SWS 8i, the 2 Ohm model, with the factory head unit, no amp? How were the results?

Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, where do these plug in in the H&K system on the wiring harness in the door?? They must plug in somewhere ?!?!? Anyone with the H&K setup willing to have a looking in their doors and let us know !??!?!??

Old 08-13-2015, 03:55 PM
JW Collier
Neutral
MINI Countryman R60 Door Speaker sizes, pictures, and measurements

I used this post to order the HK pillars. Thanks they came out great. I wanted to post the sizes of the stock speakers that came out of the front and rear doors and the under the seat woofer. I also attached the replacement set that I used "MB Quart QM200.3BMW 8.5" 4 Ohm 3-Way Speaker System For Select BMW Vehicles". I does say BMW but it is correct and the 8.5 fits.

Thanks for the great info on this post, it help a great deal. Be careful when ordering replacements, the fronts are SO SHALLOW but the MB Quarts worked great. I was able to install "Focal Access 100 CA1 4-Inch" (refer to pic) in the rear, BUT THEY DID NOT FIT IN THE FRONT.

Happy MOTORING and thanks for the info!

Attached Thumbnails Tweeter Mounter for R60-img_5285.jpg   Tweeter Mounter for R60-img_5286.jpg   Tweeter Mounter for R60-img_5287.jpg   Tweeter Mounter for R60-img_5289.jpg   Tweeter Mounter for R60-img_5290.jpg  

Tweeter Mounter for R60-screen-shot-2015-08-13-at-6.16.37-pm.png   Tweeter Mounter for R60-screen-shot-2015-08-13-at-6.53.45-pm.png  
Old 03-13-2016, 11:12 AM
SoonerMack
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
JW,
Did you have instructions for the tweeter, fronts, underseats to remove all the panels, etc? Or did you just kind of get in there and wing it? I just got the MBQuart set and it seems more difficult than I thought to find a step by step on getting to the speakers. I'm fine once I get there. Was the MB better than the HK? I've had MB in the past and they were excellent.
Thanks!

Old 03-13-2016, 06:41 PM
JW Collier
Neutral
SoonerMack,
I actually took my MINI to a custom audio shop to have them install them because of the tools and the reassembly expertise, I also had some amps installed and an Audiocontrol module for fine eq tuning. I asked my local MINI dealer what audio specialty shop they used and they suggested the shop I went to. MINIs are put together very well, one of the things I like the most about them, and I wanted to preserve that in the reassembly (as I would undoubtebly screw something up). I also ended up only shaping out the door speakers, the HK tweeters in the pillars worked great with the MB set (crossover) so I left them as having the shop fit the tweets in the pillars would've been of little difference to the high end. I upgraded from a non HK system, and I can tell the staging with the tweets in the doors was a dramatic improvement. However, that is where the real benefit ends. The choice for 4 inch mids in the doors really hinders the audio quality of the mini as it comes setup stock. I really enjoy my music, and I put about 3k in the mini to get it to sound the way I wanted... and it still doesn't sadly. My next venture with be to custom fabricate fiberglass kick panels for a 5.25 or 6.5 mid, in order to get the 80-400hz I know Im missing. However, this is only my opinion and the MB sounds pretty good considering what it is. Also, be sure to amplify it according to specs, I think its about 80watts RMS, these things are easily over driven and will "pop" like crazy!

Old 03-14-2016, 11:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by tominizer
So, where do these plug in in the H&K system on the wiring harness in the door?? They must plug in somewhere ?!?!? Anyone with the H&K setup willing to have a looking in their doors and let us know !??!?!??

Did you ever PM jkline ?

Old 07-05-2023, 05:39 AM
ARD'sDIY
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Is it crazy to bring back this thread to life? (Admins sorry if so. Allow me to some newbie mistakes).

I am actually uprating the R60S doors. On the front, I am tapping on the existing wiring and adding a coaxial + additional high-frequency tweeters set.
(It sounds crazy but should do, improving the sound "richness" and staying manageable at impedance level too).

The question is: I also think that the door mount is too low/close to the 4". Has anyone tried to do a higher installation, routing through the umbilical and creating an ad-hoc housing over the pillars (avoiding the airbags structure of course)?