Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Speed sensing audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speed sensing audio

How good is it? I had a Benz that had it and it was annoying as hell. In stop and go traffic, the volume went up and down constantly. I also had ambient sound sensing audio on another car. It based the volume on existing background noise and worked great.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:15 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm not sure about the new cars but in mine (2005), you can set the sensitivity and/or turn the speed sensing off completely. With it on, I didn't notice it very much so it probably wasn't that effective a device anyways.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 PM
DyeLooper
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very errattic with MP3's. Although the recording of mp3's is all different due to all the different cd's used. have not tried it with AM/FM. Hopefully it will be better.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by beken
I'm not sure about the new cars but in mine (2005), you can set the sensitivity and/or turn the speed sensing off completely. With it on, I didn't notice it very much so it probably wasn't that effective a device anyways.
If you don't notice the volume change, that means its working properly. The volume should not swing wildly, if you really notice it, adjust the sensitivity down a notch or two. The whole point of it is so you don't have to turn the volume down everytime you come to a stop only to turn it back up again once you take off.

It is a nice feature that can be adjusted to suit you, or turned off.
Cheers,
Dan

Old 04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
drewster
3rd Gear
Was going to start a new thread but I found this one....

Is this really speed sensing or noise sensing? Also if you move the settings either all the way left or right, which is the direction that will get you the most volume increase? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:19 PM
k6rtm
4th Gear
It's speed sensing, and on the R56 it's adjustable, from barely noticeable to quite bizarre. Don't recall what setting I've got it on currently; I've been playing with it, moving it up and down a few notches every few days until I find a setting I like.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:48 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by k6rtm
It's speed sensing, and on the R56 it's adjustable, from barely noticeable to quite bizarre. Don't recall what setting I've got it on currently; I've been playing with it, moving it up and down a few notches every few days until I find a setting I like.
On the R53, it's noise sensing and works quite well as the system remains equally audible with windows up or down at whatever speed without twisting the volume ****. It is odd that they would have built the R56 with speed sensing instead as that would not adjust for wind noise from the sunroof and windows.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not noise...

it gets the vehicle speed off the information bus and adjusts volume level automatically like Dan wrote. It's an excellent system. If you're not liking how it's working then change the settings, don't crap on the system.

Matt

Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
it gets the vehicle speed off the information bus and adjusts volume level automatically like Dan wrote. It's an excellent system. If you're not liking how it's working then change the settings, don't crap on the system.

Matt
I didn't see any crapping. They were just asking about it.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grassroots Garage
If you don't notice the volume change, that means its working properly. The volume should not swing wildly, if you really notice it, adjust the sensitivity down a notch or two. The whole point of it is so you don't have to turn the volume down everytime you come to a stop only to turn it back up again once you take off.

It is a nice feature that can be adjusted to suit you, or turned off.
Cheers,
Dan
Exactly. I adjusted mine a few times and now don't even notice it adjusting the volume. The radio is always at the same volume regardless of road or wind noise. I like this feature!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:22 PM
drewster
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Exactly. I adjusted mine a few times and now don't even notice it adjusting the volume. The radio is always at the same volume regardless of road or wind noise. I like this feature!
ok, so what is your setting? is it to the right of center or to the left?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine is in between the middle and the left most setting.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 PM
drewster
3rd Gear
thanks i'll try moving the settings towards the left. I've been moving it towards the right and it seemed like i wasn't getting enough of a volume change.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs

Matt
A rare moment when I find myself disagreeing with the doc. Maybe it's a tribute to how quite the Mini cabin is, but with my speed sensing volume set at the least sensitive (you can't turn it off), there is still a noticble volume change when I come to a stop. Since I am in a lot of stop and go traffic, it is extremely annoying. Aside from my nav changing displays without my consent and for no apparent reason, and the seat fryers not having timer switches, I find this the most annoying feature of the car.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 AM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Dr Obnxs is psychic!

Originally Posted by LynnEl
A rare moment when I find myself disagreeing with the doc. Maybe it's a tribute to how quite the Mini cabin is, but with my speed sensing volume set at the least sensitive (you can't turn it off), there is still a noticble volume change when I come to a stop. Since I am in a lot of stop and go traffic, it is extremely annoying. Aside from my nav changing displays without my consent and for no apparent reason, and the seat fryers not having timer switches, I find this the most annoying feature of the car.
Ah, there's the crapping. I guess Dr Obnxs can see the future! I got mine adjusted within two weeks of getting my MINI. It was almost perfect on delivery. Is it possible that there can be some variance from system to system? Maybe your SA can get you a new head unit? With all the tolerances they have to get perfect on a car these days, you'd think they could standardize the radio. Best of luck getting yours fixed.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
So, why can't you adjust the setting so it works for your situation?

Old 11-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Because, my situation is that I don't need the volume to go up and down, since, even on the least sensitive setting the fluctuation is too much. Obviously, increasing sensitivity would just make it worse. I can't turn it off, which is what I would do if I could.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:24 PM
drewster
3rd Gear
sorry i didn't do a thorough search but you mention a stereo upgrade in your sig, is this a significant change in the audio equipment including new amps & speakers that may be adding to the volume differences?

Old 11-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewster
sorry i didn't do a thorough search but you mention a stereo upgrade in your sig, is this a significant change in the audio equipment including new amps & speakers that may be adding to the volume differences?

It's the Mini $500 upgrade, which, as far as I can tell, adds 2 crappy tweeters and a few more watts output. I don't know if that makes a difference, but the programming should account for that. Then again, it should have an "off" option.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Rapparee
Neutral
I have the opposite problem of LynnEl.

I have the HarmonKardon factory installed. The speed sensitivity at 6, supposedly the largest gain in volume per gain in speed.

However, my radio (or mp3 on usb drive, mp3 from CD) goes from reasonable at full stop to inaudibly quiet at 60mph.
If I play with the speed sensitivity while at 60mph, I can hear a very slight lowering of volume when I move it from 6 to a lower setting.

Does this sound like an issue I should ask my dealer about?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:52 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
I have to ask where is this adjustment? I don't believe I have seen it.

Jim

Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hit the musical note in the top left corner...then "roll" the **** over past the treble, bass, etc..to the second page of settings.

You will see it there. As well as that horrific GONG volume, I wish I could reduce that volume WAY more than -5.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:47 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
Hit the musical note in the top left corner...then "roll" the **** over past the treble, bass, etc..to the second page of settings.

You will see it there. As well as that horrific GONG volume, I wish I could reduce that volume WAY more than -5.
Thanks, I found it. After some testing mine seems to work fine (for me anyway) at the 4 setting. If I am at 60 and adjust the volume with the ****, the it seems to return to that level when I reach 60 again after a stop. I can't believe I just found this adjustment after a year + of ownership. I knew it had the speed thing, but did not realize I could asdjust it. I wonder what else I haven't found?

The "gong" doesn't bother me like some do. Even my wife doesn't say anything and she hated the one on my old Mustang.

Jim