Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Mounts for GPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:49 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OOops, sorry never saw this post...

1. Yes you could do it with one mount, but I ordered a second just in case I messed up. I didn't know where to find those round ball parts that fit into the back of the Garmin holder--so I used the existing part and cut it to fit.

The second spare mount actually became the mount I leave in the wifes car when we travel.

2. I went to my local hobby store and purchased a set of large wheel collars--which are essentially aluminum rings with set screws. I used these to keep the cup holder arm portion that I cut from slipping off the plastic "ball" arm portion. The weakest part of the design is the portion that fits into the existing cup holder bracket. I never fully developed that part, so with electrical tape there is too much play there. It just needs some silicone tubing or heat shrink tubing to fill the gap. The OEM cup holder has a little nub that fits here, but for some reason I was unable to reuse that. I will have to take another look to refresh my memory.

Richard

Originally Posted by Mini2Go
@OctaneGuy:

1. I am just going to be getting my Nuvi here in a few weeks. I don't have a mount to compare to your photos. Can you explain better why you needed 2 mounts? Is there any way to do it with just one?

2. How has the long-term durability of your solution been? I could see there being a lot of "slippage" on the smooth metal/plastic connection. I'd love to hear a follow-up!

(While I like some of the other ideas, I'm all for re-using the cupholder bracket now wasting space on a closet shelf.)

Old 05-29-2007, 06:25 PM
tc4653
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a ProClip for my Sirius and my Treo.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't find the Kuda mounts on your website.

Originally Posted by tom @ eas
I'm suprised no one's mentioned the Kuda mount for the TomTom:

We offer the full Kuda lineup also.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to see pictures of both the R53 and R56 dash mount (not the downtube mount) with them NOT attached to anything...if anyone has one I'd be grateful.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I'd like to see pictures of both the R53 and R56 dash mount (not the downtube mount) with them NOT attached to anything...if anyone has one I'd be grateful.
I'll be able to post a picture of the R53 version tomorrow - Mine's mounted, but I haven't installed my wife's yet.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:03 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Sweet, I'd really appreciate that!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:10 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, I just noticed that MirthScout already posted the pictures you want in post #73 in this same thread (At least, the R53 version):

The first picture shows the metal tabs that go under the front edge of the dash and under the center dash vent. The second picture shows the mount installed with the Garmin bracket on it, and the third shows the mount with the GPS attached.

The second picture also shows the slight colour mis-match between the mount and the dash.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:36 PM
abbydog3
3rd Gear
Thank you

Originally Posted by MirthScout
Kuda makes a mount for the Nuvi 350/360. Right up at dash level where you don't have to move your eyes away from the road by much.
This is what I have been waiting for.

Ordering today!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's very nice, but at $56 man I just don't know. If it came with a wiring pigtail that could be hard wired in, now that would have me buying it. Anyone know where we can find a wire setup to hardwire in?

Old 06-02-2007, 08:29 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Does it have to sit right where it is? It looks like the mount could move over to the left a little bit. I like the mount but with the 660 it would block too much of the center speedo and that would annoy me. Is there a way to install the ball mount a little higher?

Old 06-02-2007, 11:02 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I perfected my mount yesterday. Just added some heat shrink tubing, and enlarged the hole slightly for the rod with the sleeve, and now I've got a completely rigid mount.

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
OOops, sorry never saw this post...

The weakest part of the design is the portion that fits into the existing cup holder bracket. I never fully developed that part, so with electrical tape there is too much play there. It just needs some silicone tubing or heat shrink tubing to fill the gap. The OEM cup holder has a little nub that fits here, but for some reason I was unable to reuse that. I will have to take another look to refresh my memory.

Richard

Old 06-03-2007, 10:20 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I like my Nuvi 660 up on the windshield just under the mirror, easy to reach and see, but it does get in the way just a bit in some circumstances. I tried it suction cupped to the speedo like so may others have done, and had two problems with it there. First, it tends to bounce a bit. Second, I don't like having to look that far down to see it, preferring to keep my tired old eyes up on the road. I don't think any of the GCH or console mounts are gonna do it for me...............

The Kuda looks interesting tho, I'll have to look into that more.

Thanks to all who have posted your pics and installations, it great to see so many ideas to choose from.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Rear View Mirror Mount

Using the provided suction cup attachment I mounted my Nuvi 350 on the left side of my center rear view mirror. Downside .. Can't see the right side of my face anymore.

Good place .. Easy to hear, easy to see, and easy to access without having to take my eyes off the road. And the center mirror view is still good (and infinitely better than it is when pulling my trailer).

Last edited by Ken Cooper; 06-25-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I ended up suction-cupping mine to the VERY lower left corner of the windshield. It's definitely in the "legal" 5 x 5 inch allowed area. I just tucked the cable down the side of the dash, under my parcel shelf, and used zip ties to secure it. It wasn't how I intended to do it but I think it works fine and it looks okay.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Oops! How'd I get a dupe in here - can't seem to delete this one...

Last edited by zzMini; 06-25-2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Duplicated my post by mistake...
Old 06-25-2007, 11:36 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
MLWagner - glad to see one other lazy person on this thread!!

I really think that our solution is elegant - super simple, no tools, easy to install, easy to remove, and virtually invisible!
I am referencing my earlier post so folks can see pics.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...3&postcount=41

Last edited by zzMini; 06-25-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:45 PM
danbanger
4th Gear
If i have a garmin nuvi 350, is this all i need to mount to my R50?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KUDA-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by danbanger; 06-30-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:02 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Yes that would work in your R50. The missing component is the wiring. You'll still have to use the cig lighter power outlet. Anyone know where one can buy the wiring to hardwire it in?

Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM
danbanger
4th Gear
i was thinking of getting something like this for that - http://cgi.ebay.com/Direct-Hardwire-...QQcmdZViewItem

or making one, but i'm not very literate in that kinda stuff so if anyone wants to help

Last edited by danbanger; 07-01-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
That looks like it would work. I didn't know that the Nuvi could be powered through the min usb port. If you use that port for power wouldn't you lose the ability to play the directions voice through the aux input into the cars radio? Also the ability to play MP3's also?

Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 PM
danbanger
4th Gear
Crashton - I always thought thats how you powered the nuvi, actually i am pretty sure thats how you do it (i don't have one yet, its on the way), but from what i remember from my friend's.

And theres a seperate audio out port, the regular 3.5" input thing you can connect for aux

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...5L._AA280_.jpg

Last edited by danbanger; 07-01-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
You are correct. I just went out got mine out if the glove box. On the right side there is a SD card slot, a mini usb receptacle & an input for a patch cord.

On the back of the unit under the antenna is a input with 4 contacts that mate to the Nuvi power cord. That's how I've been powering mine.

I think I'm going to buy the KUDA mount along with one of those hardwire cables off of fleaBay.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Kenningtons
3rd Gear
Holy cow, I never thought it would be so tough to mount a little GPS unit! We have a Garmin Nuvi 350. I looked at the mount in the ablove post- nice, but fifty bucks? That's an awful lot. I'm going to try to figure it out this weekend- will post pics if I come up with something that works. I already set up mounts in the 911 & FJ- they were easy, but I may be in for a battle with this one as I am not going to drill holes anywhere...

Cheers,

Paul.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:55 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new location

All this renewed discussion about GPS mounting reminded me that I found a new location for my TomTom (Go 300 for those counting)...

as seen from the inside...

as seen from the outside...

sorry for the cellphone photo.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:54 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kenningtons
Holy cow, I never thought it would be so tough to mount a little GPS unit! We have a Garmin Nuvi 350. I looked at the mount in the ablove post- nice, but fifty bucks? That's an awful lot. I'm going to try to figure it out this weekend- will post pics if I come up with something that works. I already set up mounts in the 911 & FJ- they were easy, but I may be in for a battle with this one as I am not going to drill holes anywhere...

Cheers,

Paul.
Hey Paul - unless your state forbids windsheild mounting, give this a shot - it costs nothing, and takes less than a minute to "install". If you don't like it, you've lost nothing, and drilled no holes. You can't see any cables, and if you have a splitter, you can still have a cig lighter socket free.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...43#post1402643 - see "Preferred way"
Yes, you will have a little wrapped bundle of wire back behind the cig lighter, but you can minimize that evern further with some cable ties.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Mounts for GPS